Trade: [MIN/ARI] Josh Dobbs and 7th for 6th round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ah, so they got Dobbs for the price of moving their 7th round pick up ~15 spots.
Always interesting in that a lot of these minor deals is a swap of draft selections between 15-20 slots. In rounds 3-6, also have to factor in a few to several compensatory picks, which extends the difference in draft positions. There could be upwards of 40 picks in round 6. So, an extra 5-8 more slots. AZ likely to hold a top 5 pick in round 7. Minny, depending on how they finish, between pick 15-20 in round 6. 12 regular picks, then 5-8 comp picks, then 5 picks to get to AZ, so like 20 something picks, but at that point in the draft, not really that big a deal. Just gets the balance of the contract off the books as well, which isn't that much for Dobbs.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Minny on the tank.

'Zona wants to make Kyler comfy and have no excuses of mental distress before axing him.

I think there's some incentive to let Dobbs play games because he lit up a preseason and "deserves a chance".

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Minny on the tank.

'Zona wants to make Kyler comfy and have no excuses of mental distress before axing him.

I think there's some incentive to let Dobbs play games because he lit up a preseason and "deserves a chance".
If they were tanking they would have moved Hunter and Smith. They are in a WC position.

Giants, Commies, Cards, Rams, Packers, Bears, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons are the Vikings opposition for the final WC if you assume NO should take the South.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
If they were tanking they would have moved Hunter and Smith. They are in a WC position.

Giants, Commies, Cards, Rams, Packers, Bears, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons are the Vikings opposition for the final WC if you assume NO should take the South.
They'd have to be on a special level of delusion to think Josh Dobbs is better than what they have on staff.

First thing is whether Dobbs comes out of the same offensive coaching tree.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They'd have to be on a special level of delusion to think Josh Dobbs is better than what they have on staff.

First thing is whether Dobbs comes out of the same offensive coaching tree.
Hall, Mullens, Mannion are what Minnesota has. Brought McCoy in for a workout. That’s it. Mullens still on IR for another week.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The 7th is conditional too and can become a 6th. Not sure what the conditions are but assuming its play time based.

They needed a body while Mullens is still out, because they have no other QB on the active roster. Mannion is on the PS, but is bascially a coach on the roster and unplayable, and is only there to appease Cousins.

They saw this as a better option than say Colt McCoy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The 7th is conditional too and can become a 6th. Not sure what the conditions are but assuming its play time based.

They needed a body while Mullens is still out, because they have no other QB on the active roster. Mannion is on the PS, but is bascially a coach on the roster and unplayable, and is only there to appease Cousins.

They saw this as a better option than say Colt McCoy.
Not being with a team for 8 weeks at his age, probably not wise to sign him and have him ready to go.

For a guy like Hall, if they give him the nod this week, has to ball out. You only get 1 chance really to impress. Sometimes, not fair that it's early, but when your turn comes up, you have to perform.

Brady, was a RS SR when he got drafted, and was 4th string his rookie year. Year 2 in the NFL when he got the chance he played well.

Ridder got his chance this season, same with Howell, as 2nd year guys. Not great results for Ridder, and Howell is pushing the ball as they are not running it in Wash.

Willis got a shot overseas coming off the bench for Tanny, didn't look good. Gave the start last week to Levis.

O'connell got a start vs Chargers, was ok, but gave up 2 fumbles on sacks and threw a costly pick at the goal line. That and dumb McDaniels, prevented him for getting the start in Chicago.

Any non First round pick QB, low margin for error when you get into a game. Have to be ready to play and perform. That's why I say, stay in college until you get enough reps to be ready to go when you get to the NFL. Look at Purdy. 4 year starter at Iowa State. Lots of expectations on HC now to turn programs around in 2-3 years. Don't have the time to let you slowly learn. Need to be more ready when you arrive.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I knew we wouldn't wave the white flag with Kirk's injury now that we are competing for a playoff spot in a weak conference and have an easy schedule coming up. We barely gave up anything, so I'm fine on taking a chance on Dobbs to have as an option if Hall doesn't work out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I knew we wouldn't wave the white flag with Kirk's injury now that we are competing for a playoff spot in a weak conference and have an easy schedule coming up. We barely gave up anything, so I'm fine on taking a chance on Dobbs to have as an option if Hall doesn't work out.
GMs and HCs don’t get a long runway anymore in the nfl.
Douglas/Saleh in NYJ in year 3 needed to show something thus the AR trade.
Smith in ATL, 3 different starting QBs for each season. Hard to do anything without consistency. But he’s not a sure fire returning HC in 2024.
McDaniels got fired cause they had higher expectations with the Adams trade. And didn’t deliver.

So I get Minny not throwing in the towel.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Any non First round pick QB, low margin for error when you get into a game. Have to be ready to play and perform. That's why I say, stay in college until you get enough reps to be ready to go when you get to the NFL. Look at Purdy. 4 year starter at Iowa State. Lots of expectations on HC now to turn programs around in 2-3 years. Don't have the time to let you slowly learn. Need to be more ready when you arrive.
The speedy track to perform is a matter of the contract environment. Contracts are based on data. A QB that doesn't put out data basically can't get paid. Can't get paid on the second contract on mere speculation(the rookie contract is basically "reasoned speculation of the future").

The team is also incentivized to put them out to play ASAP to get the same data to see if the 5th year option is worth picking up or not.

So, the "invisible hand" results in an invisible consent to put QBs into the fire unless serious mitigating circumstances exist with the incumbent starter(i.e Aaron Rodgers or to a less extent Alex Smith)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First rounders have to get onto the field now by the midway point in the season. You want them to get reps so that they are not seeing NFL speed in year 2 for the first time. Want them to have an off-season knowing what it's like in real speed, not just pre-season speed. Like Levis is this year. AOC, if he takes the helm the rest of the way. Ridder and Howell got some time last year.

But, again, unless you are a first rounder, you aren't going to keep getting changes as the season goes along. Ridder is benched. AOC has the rest of the season to show that he's a NFLer QB (at least a backup).

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dobbs looked great when he came in on short notice to the point O'Connell had to feed him the playbook through his headset.

And then somehow, the more time he had to learn, the shittier he got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad