Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Alex Goligoski signs with the Wild (1 year, $5M)

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
you dont know that, Suter is objectively still a top 4 defensemen and parise can still play (lead wild for playoff points in extremely discouraged and limited time now), you don't know how it would have played out and you dont know if injuries could have factored like almost all these bad contracts. They took on GUARANTEED DEAD CAP at over $12million for 3 consecutive years. the decision was OBJECTIVELY AWFUL, period.
Somebody get this kid a dictionary so he can look up the definition of "objective"

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Somebody get this kid a dictionary so he can look up the definition of "objective"
Oh I know it ;-)

The discrepancy in reasonability of a decision, is so vast, I will easily go with that term

just like forsberg for erat was objectively an awful trade, at the time, for the litany of known factors, like this

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It sounds like there is a handshake agreement to extend on January 1 for multiple years at 2Mish. Due to the buyouts, we’re paying him more this year too keep the AAV down when the crunch comes on.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Oh I know it ;-)

The discrepancy in reasonability of a decision, is so vast, I will easily go with that term

just like forsberg for erat was objectively an awful trade, at the time, for the litany of known factors, like this
Suter is still objectively a top 4 defenseman? Guerin disagreed. I could go either way on it. It's certainly not a fact. It's an opinion.

The Parise buyout being awful is an opinion that is in the vast minority, even among Wild fans. Again, not objective.

So you either don't know what objective means or you are intentionally misusing it.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Shocked he got 5mil. At least its only 1 year
The one year is the reason it’s so high, there’s also been speculation that they would then try to keep doing one year deals with him if it’s a fit, if that works out to something like 5/3/1/1 for 4 years then it ends up working perfectly with the peak of the cap struggles as if he signed a 4 year 10 mill deal.

Reactions: Morrison

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Suter is still objectively a top 4 defenseman? Guerin disagreed. I could go either way on it. It's certainly not a fact. It's an opinion.

The Parise buyout being awful is an opinion that is in the vast minority, even among Wild fans. Again, not objective.

So you either don't know what objective means or you are intentionally misusing it.
its as close to an objective position as anything in this world of hockey management and analysis we do on this forum. if you disagree, the eye test and stats completely make that angle ABSURDLY UNREASONABLE

the objective part is going off of uncertainty in the face of logic and practically of this league with these contracts, that you should take on over 15%+ in GUARANTEED DEAD CAP with the idea that these players WILL FALL OFF and not be useful to any degree AND not be able to put LTIRed like almost everyone else on these contracts. sorry, you're still at the ground level staring up at a mountain of logic/reasoning to defend such a position

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
its as close to an objective position as anything in this world of hockey management and analysis we do on this forum. if you disagree, the eye test and stats completely make that angle ABSURDLY UNREASONABLE

the objective part is going off of uncertainty in the face of logic and practically of this league with these contracts, that you should take on over 15%+ in GUARANTEED DEAD CAP with the idea that these players WILL FALL OFF and not be useful to any degree AND not be able to put LTIRed like almost everyone else on these contracts. sorry, you're still at the ground level staring up at a mountain of logic/reasoning to defend such a position
If Parise doesn't sign for more than $2M you're gonna look pretty stupid. You can't force a guy to retire when he still wants to play and Parise clearly still wants to play. He scored a couple goals in the playoffs. It was a nice moment. When he played in the regular season, he looked like crap. HE HAS FALLEN OFF. He's not coming back. Buying him out was absolutely the right move. He was not going to provide $5M of value this year. He probably won't provide $1M of value next year. He will be out of the league in two years.

You may be right about Suter but we won't know that for at least another year. I'll bet you a 6-pack Goligoski has a better season than Suter.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
If Parise doesn't sign for more than $2M you're gonna look pretty stupid. You can't force a guy to retire when he still wants to play and Parise clearly still wants to play. He scored a couple goals in the playoffs. It was a nice moment. When he played in the regular season, he looked like crap. HE HAS FALLEN OFF. He's not coming back. Buying him out was absolutely the right move. He was not going to provide $5M of value this year. He probably won't provide $1M of value next year. He will be out of the league in two years.

You may be right about Suter but we won't know that for at least another year. I'll bet you a 6-pack Goligoski has a better season than Suter.

you still dont get the collective point here, if you want to argue based off of UNREASONABLE potentials (LTRetired option if and when this absurd falloff happens to both) based on what you WANT to see, while taking on GUARANTEED DEAD CAP that accounts for at least 15% of your overall space, due to a COMBINED decision of 2 buyouts of veteran leaders players that are still playing, well then you arent even worth my data on this net of ignorance

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
you still dont get the collective point here, if you want to argue based off of UNREASONABLE potentials (LTRetired option if and when this absurd falloff happens to both) based on what you WANT to see, while taking on GUARANTEED DEAD CAP that accounts for at least 15% of your overall space, due to a COMBINED decision of 2 buyouts of veteran leaders players that are still playing, well then you arent even worth my data on this net of ignorance
LTIR requires an actual verifiable injury unless you are Chicago. How is Parise going to get injured from the press box? And Suter was adamant about playing, even after already going through a potentially career ending foot injury. Not too mention that if they did get injured, you are then forced into finding a replacement player mid season. How many “objectively top 4” defenseman get traded mid-season for anything remotely resembling a reasonable deal?

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
LTIR requires an actual verifiable injury unless you are Chicago. How is Parise going to get injured from the press box? And Suter was adamant about playing, even after already going through a potentially career ending foot injury. Not too mention that if they did get injured, you are then forced into finding a replacement player mid season. How many “objectively top 4” defenseman get traded mid-season for anything remotely resembling a reasonable deal?
k, keep setting your own boundaries on things you arent privy to. you realizes your exception brings contradiction to your argument?

the point here is there's a history of getting out of these contracts that in the face of POTENTIALLY falling off to that degree of uselessness equal to this current outcome; there were other options. instead you are defending a decision of Guaranteeing the worst potential, dead cap to a ridiculous amount while losing players that are still evidently contributing that are veteran leaders, for whatever that's worth to a team. Lost cause, I'm bewildered by the lack of understanding for wild fans, I'll chalk it up on lack of comprehensive reasoning and denial. Good luck!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
k, keep setting your own boundaries on things you arent privy to. you realizes your exception brings contradiction to your argument?

the point here is there's a history of getting out of these contracts that in the face of POTENTIALLY falling off to that degree of uselessness equal to this current outcome; there were other options. instead you are defending a decision of Guaranteeing the worst potential, dead cap to a ridiculous amount while losing players that are still evidently contributing that are veteran leaders, for whatever that's worth to a team. Lost cause, I'm bewildered by the lack of understanding for wild fans, I'll chalk it up on lack of comprehensive reasoning and denial. Good luck!
It appears your understanding of the players usefulness is drastically different from both the Wild executive team and their fans, if you want to argue reasoning while missing a whole bunch of the equation and possible repercussions of keeping them then you are out to lunch. This is by far not the worst potential, cap recapture would be worse, or god forbid we retained on these and then got hit with recapture like some clueless people suggested. The buyouts are actually appealing because it is guaranteed, we now know exactly what we have to work with going forward from a cap standpoint and we can try to build a team around that handicap. We already have several players on great value contracts and are looking to add ELC players as well for more contract value. The team can still be competitive because of this move and the planning ability it gives, this contract and the proposed handshake agreement are exhibit A to that flexibility now available.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
dead cap to a ridiculous amount while losing players that are still evidently contributing that are veteran leaders, for whatever that's worth to a team
Parise and Suter have been viewed as toxic to the locker room for at least 3 years, you dunderhead. Guerin views them as subtracting from the team, not contributing.

It's not lack of reasoning or denial, you just don't know what you're talking about here.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Having watched him for the past five years, I thought he'd get $2.5M or something. As long as it's only one year, he'll still be a serviceable second-pairing guy.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
So getting a a player that might replace Suter for one year with a combined cap hit of the same amount is the best Guerin could do under the situation he created for himself. Good luck doing that each of the next three years, Billy.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Can I make a small suggestion here? Save the capital letters for the beginning of sentences. Past that they're just oddly misplaced and superfluous. Try italics instead. And, you're welcome for another few words you can work into your repertoire (As is repertoire.) Have at it, Sparky.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Can I make a small suggestion here? Save the capital letters for the beginning of sentences. Past that they're just oddly misplaced and superfluous. Try italics instead. And, you're welcome for another few words you can work into your repertoire (As is repertoire.) Have at it, Sparky.
takes much too much effort/time to italicize, especially in these particular conversations where the degree of reasonability is putting my brain through a 2nd heat wave. much more interesting conversations to have with agreeable logic and disagreeable context to find a better understanding. nice try though, at least i know where that screenname came from #ULTRAd

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Apparently there might be an agreement between Guerin and Goligoski that he will sign a one year extension after Jan 1 for 2M, making for a deal that is really 2 x 3.5M. They had to do it this way because MN's cap buyout hit for Parise and Suter kicks in at a much higher number in 22-23.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Admittadly, I've only watched Minnesota play against Anaheim this season, but Alex Goligoski seems to be quietly having a very good year.

Minnesota is leading the Western Conference, and despite missing three games, Goligoski is leading the team's defensemen in points (18) and +/- (+13) while playing nearly 20 minutes per night.

Not too shabby for a 36 year old, who's contract a lot of people questioned when he signed it.

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Admittadly, I've only watched Minnesota play against Anaheim this season, but Alex Goligoski seems to be quietly having a very good year.

Minnesota is leading the Western Conference, and despite missing three games, Goligoski is leading the team in points (18) and +/- (+13) while playing nearly 20 minutes per night.

Not too shabby for a 36 year old, who's contract a lot of people questioned when he signed it.
only as a D

Reactions: Elvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad