Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Alex Goligoski signs with the Wild (1 year, $5M)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Smart. Their cap problems happen next year. Might as well overpay now so you avoid the problem next year while keeping your team competitive.

Goligoski is still a good player, but no one wants to give him term becausenof age.

Just a grwat fit.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
not bad i guess. Russo floated the idea we would give him a one year overpay and try to get a cheap multi year done after that.

Reactions: banks and Morrison

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
What does he have left in the tank?

The term is great, sure, but I'm surprised he commanded that kind of fee. Good for 'Gogo' (always hated that nickname haha) and I'm sure this flexibility is great for Minny's cap penalty next year.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
They believe Goligoski can play the role that they need better than Suter can.
guaranteeing DEAD cap space of +$6 million for 3 years consecutively, after next (x2 mind you with Parise at the same time)? no, just no, fans just stop trying to poorly justify one of the worst GM decisions in the last decade

Last edited:
Reactions: Lolonegoal

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Too expensive, but it’s only 1 year. Not gonna lose sleep over it.

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
Looks like people are already forgetting that the primary reason Suter was bought out was to protect Dumba...

Anyway this is a bit of an overpay but it's only one year so it doesn't really matter. Cap space isn't an issue with the Wild this year.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
guaranteeing DEAD cap space of +$6 million for 3 years consecutively, after next (x2 mind you with Parise at the same time)? no, just no, fans just stop trying to poorly justify one of the worst GM decisions in the last decade
The dead cap space was guaranteed when the contracts were signed 3 GMs ago. This just gives us a player that management believes gives the team and better chance of winning, can’t say I disagree with that assessment.

edit: I guess it wasn’t guaranteed at signing, but rather when the league retroactively decided to impose cap recapture penalties, at that point the Wild had this dead cap no matter what.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
The dead cap space was guaranteed when the contracts were signed 3 GMs ago. This just gives us a player that management believes gives the team and better chance of winning, can’t say I disagree with that assessment.
you dont know that, Suter is objectively still a top 4 defensemen and parise can still play (lead wild for playoff points in extremely discouraged and limited time now), you don't know how it would have played out and you dont know if injuries could have factored like almost all these bad contracts. They took on GUARANTEED DEAD CAP at over $12million for 3 consecutive years. the decision was OBJECTIVELY AWFUL, period.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
you dont know that, Suter is objectively still a top 4 defensemen and parise can still play (lead wild for playoff points in extremely discouraged and limited time now), you don't know how it would have played out and you dont know if injuries could have factored like almost all these bad contracts. They took on GUARANTEED DEAD CAP at over $12million for 3 consecutive years. the decision was OBJECTIVELY AWFUL, period.
Label them whatever you want but there’s nearly a decade of proof that the Wild were not winning anything with them, expecting that to change while they get older and slower is idiotic, Suter became exploitable to outside speedsters and the Wild couldn’t afford to have him on the ice for 1/3 of the game anymore and expect to be successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad