Milwaukee Brewers to explore relocation

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
lol. Oakland, tampa bay and Milwaukee. All these threats from MLB and owners to civic officials to publicly fund the entirety of these new stadiums or renovations or else we may relocate. And MLB wants to expand by 2 teams.

Question: Where would all these teams move to and where will MLB expand to? I'm pretty sure there aren't 5 cities that will share/entirely cover the costs of a at minimum $650 - $700 million 30,000 seat baseball stadium (probably can only build it for that with cheap or free land).

Seems like the ultimate empty threat. And $450 millon?!:laugh::rolleyes: Rogers Centre is 13 years older than Milwaukee's Stadium and they will have spent $300 Canadian when it's all said and done next year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oof. Wisconsin might have to cave on that one. Milwaukee is a place that is fortunate that got their team 50+ years ago. If the MLB leaves, they’ll likely never go back.

Reactions: DaveG

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Don’t understand why teams don’t this especially considering how fast stadium technology is updated.
1. Politicians don't think into the future, they think about their re-election efforts and whatever gets them back into office.
2. Taxpayers are generally dumb re: government spending, but specific to things like this they don't want to pay money today that's going to go into a fund for the future. They'd rather pay $0 now and a shitload more down the road.
3. Taxpayers are also cynical [based on past government actions] about the notion of "a fund to pay for the future" being there given how politicians have routinely raided those funds for short-term wants and placed IOUs there that eventually have to be repaid.
4. Owners are sure as hell not doing this, when they can convince politicians to do it for them.
5. This kind of logic really applies to everything in life - replacing a furnace, replacing a hot water heater, replacing whatever that has a definite shelf life - and virtually no one does that either because short-term needs always take precedence and saving money is tough.

Oof. Wisconsin might have to cave on that one. Milwaukee is a place that is fortunate that got their team 50+ years ago. If the MLB leaves, they’ll likely never go back.
On the plus side: all the "NHL to Milwaukee" folks would finally have a real reason to think it could happen, instead of the "shit in one hand, wish in another" idea that currently exists. Of course, there would eventually be a "we need a new arena with massive upgrades or we're leaving" moment as well, but ignore that for the time being because that's inconvenient to the desired reality.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where are all these teams going to move to and where will MLB expand to on top of that? Seems like a pretty empty threat these days. Baseball isn't exactly a booming sport. Revenues appear to have stagnated.
On the docket for expansion cities, the rumours have been:

Portland, Las Vegas (though the A's appear to be relocating there), Nashville, North Carolina, Montreal.

I don't foresee Montreal building a new stadium for an owner. They'd have to foot the bill themselves. Nashville paying for over half the new Titans stadium. Not sure they are going to do another one in a short time span. Charlotte, they know that the Panther's stadium is going to be discussed as either a massive renovation or a new stadium with Tepper in the not so distant future.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
YES! New stadiums/arenas almost always sign the teams to 30-year leases. So we ARE repeating the 1990s!
Except in the 90s teams were trying to leave cookie cutter that were just awful for baseball and football . Now they want new stadiums for just a few more luxery noxes

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Here’s the study of the stadium condition for those interested

I only glanced at it, but it says the stadium district is supposed to pay for maintenance and upgrades to keep the stadium in the upper 25% of all the ballparks. Where is this stadium district and what is in the district? When I look at overhead satellite images all I see surrounding the stadium is a see or parking and industrial buildings.

On the docket for expansion cities, the rumours have been:

Portland, Las Vegas (though the A's appear to be relocating there), Nashville, North Carolina, Montreal.

I don't foresee Montreal building a new stadium for an owner. They'd have to foot the bill themselves. Nashville paying for over half the new Titans stadium. Not sure they are going to do another one in a short time span. Charlotte, they know that the Panther's stadium is going to be discussed as either a massive renovation or a new stadium with Tepper in the not so distant future.
Yes, this is just it. Owners in places like Tampa and Milwaukee will be hard-pressed to find other cities willing to foot the majority of the bill for a new stadium. I can't see upwards of 5 cities (3 relocated and 2 expansion teams) doing that these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad