[Millions] Cammy wants out?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So, I'm guessing that's a yes :laugh:

With a poor FA class, and hopefully a commitment from management to staying the course of acquiring youth, it's not looking good. I'm sure we'll make one or two trades, but I'm not expecting much.

It's to bad, I'm sure the Flames really wanted to keep Cammy as he is a very popular and charismatic guy. He would sell Jersey's in the city.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If Cammy is traded, Tangs (who's likely gone to) is our best offensive player. Without Iggy here, Tangs is probably a 50ish point player at best? IMO Glencross and maybe Backlund are the only other players next season capable of getting close to the 50 mark and Backlund hasn't even played a full season.

If Kipper retires, things do not look good at all especially with a suspect defence.

This is exactly what concerns me about this rumour and the lack of effort from Tangs at the end of the year. Its not a good idea to expect the young guys to burden the offense. Hudler and Stemps could be good for 40pts each in a best case scenario, as are Stajan and Glencross, but that tells me that these guys are more expendable than Tangs or Cammy. And there's no high end talent in the free agency pool.

I think we need to give Tangs and Cammy a reason to stay, compete, and help the transition towards younger talent (rebuild). I think if we can provide them with a number one centre, they'd want to play.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is exactly what concerns me about this rumour and the lack of effort from Tangs at the end of the year. Its not a good idea to expect the young guys to burden the offense. Hudler and Stemps could be good for 40pts each in a best case scenario, as are Stajan and Glencross, but that tells me that these guys are more expendable than Tangs or Cammy. And there's no high end talent in the free agency pool.

I think we need to give Tangs and Cammy a reason to stay, compete, and help the transition towards younger talent (rebuild). I think if we can provide them with a number one centre, they'd want to play.

I actually forgot about Hudler, he should be at or around 50pts for sure. Stempniak is good, but to me he's so streaky, with a decrease in talent I'm not sure how he'll do but I'm expecting about 40pts. Bottom line is, with no player in our lineup that is even close to being capable of reaching 70+ pts, this team is in serious trouble for at least next season.

The vets we do keep need to be really good leaders and be positive influences in the dressing room (ie. Gio and Glencross). Then we need some muscle in the lineup to prevent our young guys from getting murdered.

All I'm expecting next year is a roster that competes hard, shows some promise, gives it their best effort and is committed to winning in the long term. I'll support a team like that more than what I've seen the last few seasons here.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Step on up Mr. Reinhart! Or Mr. Ekblad.

Pretty much.. I am encouraged by what we saw at the end last season, however I do not think it is realistic to expect that kind of result from such a young lineup over 82 games. I do really like Hartley though, I think he is a tremendous coach.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Why do you think Hudler (on pace for 50 points), Glencross (on pace for 55), Stempniak (on pace for 60) and Stajan (on pace for 45) will all play worse than last year with increased PP time? That doesn't make much sense to me. I'd say if anything we can expect better numbers out of them if they get the prime PP time that went to Iginla, Cammaleri and Tanguay.

I don't want Tanguay or Cammaleri back because neither guy plays a 200 foot game anymore and they don't bring anything to the table offensively that Stempniak, Glencross, Backlund, Stajan ect. don't while they play a 200 foot game.

Look at the Bruins, Hawks, Kings ect. Their best players play hard at both ends of the ice and success is the result. The 2004 Flames are another example of a team that played both ways and achieved way more than talent would indicate. The Sens competed hard using a similar philosophy.

You can use one guy like Hudler. Tanguay, Huselius ect. Not a team full of them. If you have a team full of them you end up like the Oilers. Looking at the commitment they made financially to Hudler, he's probably that guy.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
^^ Quality of competition. Putting up points is easier when you're not facing the opposition's best players. That's why I don't think they can put up 60+ points.

And this year's pace is not representative given it was a shorter season. A lot of guys were playing at pretty high paces

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Why do you think Hudler (on pace for 50 points), Glencross (on pace for 55), Stempniak (on pace for 60) and Stajan (on pace for 45) will all play worse than last year with increased PP time? That doesn't make much sense to me. I'd say if anything we can expect better numbers out of them if they get the prime PP time that went to Iginla, Cammaleri and Tanguay.

Because instead of playing against teams 2nd and 3rd pairings now they'll be up against teams top pairings if we get rid of Tanguay and Cammy.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
^^ Quality of competition. Putting up points is easier when you're not facing the opposition's best players. That's why I don't think they can put up 60+ points.

And this year's pace is not representative given it was a shorter season. A lot of guys were playing at pretty high paces

Because instead of playing against teams 2nd and 3rd pairings now they'll be up against teams top pairings if we get rid of Tanguay and Cammy.

This. Losing guys like Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri and Bouwmeester, who would all play against the other teams best players, means everyone else now has to face much stiffer competition.

If the Flames lose both Tanguay and Cammalleri, and are unable to compensate for that loss in free agency or through trade, the Flames will easily be, on paper at least, the worst team in the league. But it's still very early obviously. I expect the Flames, regardless of who's running show, to be very active on the trade front.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009

At the same time, more ice time gets you more chances to score. I think more ice time and higher competition cancel each other out. Hudler/GlenX/Stemps/Stajan all have the potential to put up 45-60 points next year IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Regardless of who we throw out against the other top lines (and really, how bad would it be to have Glencross-Stajan-Stempniak against the other teams' top lines), the other lines will have the opportunity to be just as creative. We have some guys who have shown the ability to create turnovers and turn them into offence. Granted, the guys who play against he Getzlaf line or the Toews line are going to see their offensive numbers slide a little, but for everyone else, there shouldn't be too much change.

In the case of Mikael Backlund, for example, his minutes were pretty difficult last year, so that can only get better.

TylerSVT*

Pretty much.. I am encouraged by what we saw at the end last season, however I do not think it is realistic to expect that kind of result from such a young lineup over 82 games. I do really like Hartley though, I think he is a tremendous coach.

Hartley's no-defense approach should see us letting in 5-10 goals per game with our rubbish defense mixed with league-worst center depth.

Should be a terribly fun season to watch people get pissed off. Cant wait to be given lots of free tickets too.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
At the same time, more ice time gets you more chances to score. I think more ice time and higher competition cancel each other out. Hudler/GlenX/Stemps/Stajan all have the potential to put up 45-60 points next year IMO.

I don't know about that. Look at the 2010-11 Oilers, who's top scorer was 43 points.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hartley's no-defense approach should see us letting in 5-10 goals per game with our rubbish defense mixed with league-worst center depth.

Should be a terribly fun season to watch people get pissed off. Cant wait to be given lots of free tickets too.

It might be a good thing to see goals in a rebuild rather than boring, Minnesota hockey.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Sooo...

We are apparently looking at offers for Tanguay, Stempniak and Sarich. If we also moved Cammy.. anyone want to try and do a mockup roster without those guys?
Sure, but keep a sick bag handy.

Bärtschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Nichushkin
Um...
Bouma - Knight - Nemisz
McGrattan - Reinhart - Jackman

Giordano - Butler
Wideman - Brodie
Cundari - Smith

Ramo/Berra/MacDonald

I miss anyone?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Sooo...

We are apparently looking at offers for Tanguay, Stempniak and Sarich. If we also moved Cammy.. anyone want to try and do a mockup roster without those guys?

No way. I don't even want to look at it

Edit. Never mind, I looked.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
And with the 1st overall pick, the Calgary Flames are proud to select....

Seriously, I thought they were at least supposed to stay semi-competitive! Oh well, the fans asked for a rebuild and got what they wanted.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
next year will be a struggle but getting ekblad/ reinhart will be worth it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
tres.jpg

Reliable, maybe. Just not worth much. ;)
:laugh: well played

If he wants out, trade him that simple. We only want players that want to be here.
This x1000

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
With the new lottery system, its foolish to tank. The quicker you can turn things around the better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad