Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
i like this set up

Roberto_Luongo_2007.jpg

That scheme so so good.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Mossey353, on the topic of goalie gear, what's your ranking for goalie gear brand for each piece of equipment?

I actually have been strongly considering giving net a try. Only played skater, but seems like a lot of people who made the switch enjoy playing goalie more.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Miller's generic pads do allow him to play for another team without breaking in another set :sarcasm:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Reactor 9000s, actually. I attached a leaked picture showing what the graphics will look like, since Corey was wearing a plain white set. Personally, the graphics remind me of Koho 590s.

Oooo I like. How did you find out again?

EDIT: nevermind, I see the goaliestore URL

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Mossey353, on the topic of goalie gear, what's your ranking for goalie gear brand for each piece of equipment?

I actually have been strongly considering giving net a try. Only played skater, but seems like a lot of people who made the switch enjoy playing goalie more.

It's fun, but please learn to skate. Lots of people try and they assume it's going to be normal skating. If you're not in position, you can't stop the puck. Especially nowadays you have to be a very good skater.

I usually start skating again in September if you want a hand.

I have no rankings for the brands. Really it's about personal preference. You have to go in and try stuff on, and you have to find a good deal. Right now is a great time to be an amateur goalie. You can get overseas-made lower end versions of the pads for a great price. If I were you I would spend less money on skates, pads, blocker and pants and more money on chest protector, helmet and glove.

Having said that, I am now in Reebok pads. I have always had Brian's or Vaughn blockers or gloves. In fact I have been wearing what is basically the equivalent of the Velocity 1 since midget.

Having said that, there is a clear divide on what pad brand/line you get. Some brands are much more suited to certain styles IMO. So you should decide on what kind of goalie you want to be beforehand.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Another issue for me is storage. Space is hard to come by in a dense urban city like Taiwan.

I'll have to see, need to head back to Canada or the US before I can try them on.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
It's fun, but please learn to skate. Lots of people try and they assume it's going to be normal skating. If you're not in position, you can't stop the puck. Especially nowadays you have to be a very good skater.

I usually start skating again in September if you want a hand.

I have no rankings for the brands. Really it's about personal preference. You have to go in and try stuff on, and you have to find a good deal. Right now is a great time to be an amateur goalie. You can get overseas-made lower end versions of the pads for a great price. If I were you I would spend less money on skates, pads, blocker and pants and more money on chest protector, helmet and glove.

Having said that, I am now in Reebok pads. I have always had Brian's or Vaughn blockers or gloves. In fact I have been wearing what is basically the equivalent of the Velocity 1 since midget.

Having said that, there is a clear divide on what pad brand/line you get. Some brands are much more suited to certain styles IMO. So you should decide on what kind of goalie you want to be beforehand.

+1 on the emphasis on skating mobility and angles. That more than anything is the name of the game.

I agree with Mossey on going in to a shop to try things out. There's so much diversity in pad styles and to a lesser extent glove breaks, that you really need to see what works for you. Some people love a stiff, open-channeled butterfly pad like a Reebok, others hate the floppiness it provides and want something softer, snugger, and more responsive like a Vaughn Velocity pad, or something in between. Don't be pressured into getting pads with a huge thigh rise either- doing so could easily limit your skating ability and mobility more than it'll ever help in additional 5 hole coverage in the butterfly. It could very possibly slow your butterfly response time too.

My two cents on gear: check out slightly used equipment- it costs a fraction of what new gear costs, is already broken in (stiff new gear, like trappers, can be annoying) and it'll still have plenty of life left in them. Once you've tried on a few styles and know what you like, Ebay will be your best friend.

Good luck man, enjoy it!

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
They only carry very limited Bauer gear in Taiwan I think. There's RBK as well, but that's in another city.

I'll wait and see.

Feels like if I get mostly new it'll still set me back anywhere between $1,500~$2,500.

Too not a single skater gear overlaps with goalies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Dont really care for Lack's pads with the split logo in the middle. I guess if he was trying to draw shooters in on his five hole...

He should just cut the middle man and paint a bullseye on his pads, with the target dot being the fivehole.

being that it's an asymmetrical logo, if it has any effect at all, it should actually encourage shooters to skew left.

now here's your bullseye:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Eddie Lack's new pads have been made:

10631065_10152561891016281_8724218586554309340_o.jpg

If you look closely has integrated "E" on top of the logo

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Ohhhh yeah. We are. I even broke down and got a huge thigh rise on my latest set. My butterfly isn't what it used to be. Also, it's almost impossible to get one WITHOUT a huge thigh rise.

Same here. I don't want the designer hip surgery, so went to a 36+2 in my Vaughn V5's. Biggest pads I've ever worn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad