Post-Game Talk: Miller.... You Lost ???? Sabres @ Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And Kovy is 100% is cruise control mode. I don't blame him, I blame Deboer for playing him WAY too many minutes, but it's frustrating to watch.

I wouldn't say "cruise control"...Kovalchuk has been pretty consistently making the "right play" with the puck this season and for a player like him that is no small task.

Kovalchuk is by nature a free-form type of player. That is one who plays best while he is improvising and reading and reacting...structured safe plays are taxing for a player like Kovalchuk...its like a left brain- right brain situation. I don't think you can expect a dynamic dazzling player and one that consistently makes the safe play...and from my perspective a Kovalchuk that scores 10 less goals but is doing the right things and not being a liability is a better Kovalchuk.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Can't agree more.

Now, benching Salvador for a game is a different story. The people who want him stripped just want DeBoer to be able to bench him, essentially. Salvador shouldn't be immune to being benched because he's the captain, especially in a situation where you have 8 quality defensemen.

I really want to see Volchenkov out and put Larsson in:

Greene - Harrold
Salvador - Zidlicky
Fayne - Larsson

But I don't know how well our righties can play the opposite pairing. Tallinder, Salvador, and Volchenkov can do it pretty well.

I like those pairs, though I am ok with putting Greene back with Larsson too.

Personally I just want Larsson back in, and not at the expense of Fayne or Harold right now. I don't see the problem with giving Sal a rest, but at least sit Volch.

With Tally not making the trip I'd put my money on the D staying the same Saturday.

apice3*

I wouldn't say "cruise control"...Kovalchuk has been pretty consistently making the "right play" with the puck this season and for a player like him that is no small task.

Kovalchuk is by nature a free-form type of player. That is one who plays best while he is improvising and reading and reacting...structured safe plays are taxing for a player like Kovalchuk...its like a left brain- right brain situation. I don't think you can expect a dynamic dazzling player and one that consistently makes the safe play...and from my perspective a Kovalchuk that scores 10 less goal but is is doing the right things and not being a liability is a better Kovalchuk.

I'm with you on this. I don't get the Kovy hate this year from certain people. I have yet to see him make a play that directly led to a goal. The amount of those gaffs goes down every year. He had a few last year, the Grabner one sticks out the most. He's been a very good two way player this season. 20 points in 24 games is solid.

People want Atlanta offensive ability and NJ defense/hockey IQ out of Kovy. That's simply not going to happen. There are very few players in the history of this game that are elite in both aspects - Dastyuk is probably the best example today. Kovy is not one.

I'll take NJ Kovy over ATL Kovy over the course of a season, although it would be really awesome to see ATL Kovy once in a blue moon.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like those pairs, though I am ok with putting Greene back with Larsson too.

Personally I just want Larsson back in, and not at the expense of Fayne or Harold right now. I don't see the problem with giving Sal a rest, but at least sit Volch.

With Tally not making the trip I'd put my money on the D staying the same Saturday.
Unfortunately since we won I'm sure Volch stays and Larsson sits.

And it's almost for sure that Volch takes a dumb penalty, and they score while he's in the box.:shakehead

ILikeItVeryMuch*

I still love how circumstance drew Miller into this game only for him to lose after Yap-Gate last week.

He is still an alright bro in my book, especially considering he may backstop Team USA next year.

I still feel the most comfortable with Miller starting in the Olympics.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Hopefully they turned the corner with that win...Hopefully.

This team needs a quality forward...Really if you look at the entire roster the ONLY highly skilled forwards the Devils have are Kovalchuk and Elias (Henrique maybe on his way). I would love to see a pure goal scorer added to the top 6. Doesn't have to be a "world beater" that scores 40 or 50 goals but someone who just knows how to put the puck in the net.

Something I've been wanting to say for a while: I think Zidlicky takes far too much crap on these boards...Sometimes I think some of our fans are schizophrenic..This board complained about not having a PMD for years...You finally got one, and a good one and we pick apart every single deficiency in his game. It doesn't make sense. Zicklicky, in his role has done a very good job. As a matter of fact he has been one of the bright spots of the team this season. He moves the puck better than anybody on the team except for Kovalchuk and he creates opportunities every game. That is what he is there for.

Another bright spot on this team is Steve Bernier. I absolutely love the way he has been playing this season and his confidence continues to grow. I get the feeling that he has a lot more to offer this team in a more expanded role. I think Bernier has the ability to complement more talented forwards if given the opportunity in a Zubrus kind of way. I think the Devils have some untapped ability with Bernier, it is hard to think that a 28 year old might still be developing but I think this particular player is still learning how to be consistent and what it means to pro.

Going to bump this again because it's that good.

Zid has made some mistakes this season but he's a player that's off limits in terms of criticism to me. There is no other defenseman on this team that can do what he does and his positives far outweigh his negatives, which there aren't many. I thought he was one of the best players on the ice last night. I'm also a big fan of Bernier as well. I'd personally like to see both him and Carter become bigger cogs on this team.

As for the quality forward, it's definitely something that this group is lacking. I've been pretty critical of this roster lately and it has nothing to do with me not liking them or thinking they suck. I happen to feel that there are strong players on this team, but the loss of Parise and Zubrus has really left a big dent in the forward ranks. That's two quality hockey players and it's putting a lot of strain on the rest of the group. Add in that Josefson has disappointed this season and you have a rookie in Matteau learning on the fly, the team is just too damn thin imho. A healthy Zubrus plus a legit forward could give this group a chance to at least operate close to what they had going at the end of last year.

Your comment about a pure goal scorer makes me think of Sykora oddly enough. I know that he was a mess by the end of the season, but even with all of his drawbacks, he potted 21 goals with the time that he did receive. Dude knows how to put the puck in the net. He had a knack for scoring timely ones too. Now just imagine at least replacing Sykora's production but with a better player of his mold. It would be a huge boost to this team I feel.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still feel the most comfortable with Miller starting in the Olympics.

I absolutely do not. He's a bigger head case than Luongo. What about Jonathan Quick? I think I'd take Craig Anderson over Miller, but I'll let you know in a year from now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Something I've been wanting to say for a while: I think Zidlicky takes far too much crap on these boards...Sometimes I think some of our fans are schizophrenic..This board complained about not having a PMD for years...You finally got one, and a good one and we pick apart every single deficiency in his game. It doesn't make sense. Zicklicky, in his role has done a very good job. As a matter of fact he has been one of the bright spots of the team this season. He moves the puck better than anybody on the team except for Kovalchuk and he creates opportunities every game. That is what he is there for.

Zidlicky has been a lot better the last 7-10 games compared to early in the season when he was Captain Hook. Thing is, he's going to get the microscope on him for two reasons:

A) He's the PP QB and the PP has stunk for much of the year. It's not really his fault, but by the same token he's not helping in the area where he was supposed to (this year).
B) The same reason most of the other d-men have microscopes on them. Because guys we don't want sitting (Fayne/Larsson) are due to this 8-dman monstrosity. At this point I'd throw Harrold into that group too, there's no reason he should have played two of twenty-four games, he can start on half the teams in the league.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm with you on this. I don't get the Kovy hate this year from certain people. I have yet to see him make a play that directly led to a goal. The amount of those gaffs goes down every year. He had a few last year, the Grabner one sticks out the most. He's been a very good two way player this season. 20 points in 24 games is solid.

People want Atlanta offensive ability and NJ defense/hockey IQ out of Kovy. That's simply not going to happen. There are very few players in the history of this game that are elite in both aspects - Dastyuk is probably the best example today. Kovy is not one.

I'll take NJ Kovy over ATL Kovy over the course of a season, although it would be really awesome to see ATL Kovy once in a blue moon.

My biggest gripe with Kovy is that he isn't producing. I don't even think it's his fault tbh, not with this roster and how many minutes he's had to play. He's better all around the ice and I don't get the impression at all that he's not busting his ass out there, but when you're the offensive leader of the team, and the team is going to ****, one way or another you have to find a way to get the job done. His lack of production right now, along with Zajac, is just making the flaws in this team that much worse. You can't win many games when two huge pieces of the puzzle are stone cold the way that they are. The job has to get done. He did make a huge keep in on the first goal last night so gotta give him some credit there. They just need a lot more of that right now.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

I absolutely do not. He's a bigger head case than Luongo. What about Jonathan Quick? I think I'd take Craig Anderson over Miller, but I'll let you know in a year from now.

A headcase? explain, Miller has never lost his job. Yes, yes, I know Luongo is the main man again in couver.

And I dont want to hear about how Luongo beat Miller in the Olympics, I could have backstopped Team Canada in that Gold Medal game and won.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
B) The same reason most of the other d-men have microscopes on them. Because guys we don't want sitting (Fayne/Larsson) are due to this 8-dman monstrosity. At this point I'd throw Harrold into that group too, there's no reason he should have played two of twenty-four games, he can start on half the teams in the league.

BING!

I've complained a little about Zidlicky too, but that's cause of this 8 defensemen controversy. This is even more annoying than teams with goaltending controversy. Because of it a guy like Harrold has played 2 games out of 24. And guys like Larsson, and Fayne are sitting while Sal stinks up the joint.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Glad you're not the coach. You strip Bryce of the C, you humiliate him, you cause a divide in the lockerroom between old captain and new captain, and the team falls apart. It happened in Philly, and it kind of happened to us as well. That's just the two recent examples I'm familiar with.

Nothing good comes from stripping a captain. Nothing.

See I get criticizing Sal's play, or his contract for that matter. But wanting to take the C off because you're desperate to bench him is silly. First of all, what makes anyone think we'd bench him even if he wasn't the C? Clearly they hold him in high regard, and though I can't defend his play this year he was a solid defender last year even before the odd offensive outburst in the playoffs.

And second of all, I happen to agree with your post. Stripping the C midway through a short season is going to cause far more problems than you alleviate by being 'able' to bench him a game or three. Good christ, people have short memories when it comes to this. Look what happened to our team three years ago when Lemaire tried to strip Langs for one game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A headcase? explain, Miller has never lost his job. Yes, yes, I know Luongo is the main man again in couver.

And I dont want to hear about how Luongo beat Miller in the Olympics, I could have backstopped Team Canada in that Gold Medal game and won.

Miller died for about two months last season, and then came back to life when it was too late. To be fair the Lucic hit probably didn't help, but this also happened another season too. He gets rattled quite easily as someone else said.

Luongo also didn't let in a crappy bad angle undeflected, unscreened 5 hole goal in OT either. That's why they won the gold. If Marty let that goal in during game 7 of the Panthers series in OT last year many people here would have wanted him to retire. That goal flat out sucked.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

Miller died for about two months last season, and then came back to life when it was too late. To be fair the Lucic hit probably didn't help, but this also happened another season too. He gets rattled quite easily as someone else said.

Luongo also didn't let in a crappy bad angle undeflected, unscreened 5 hole goal in OT either. That's why they won the gold. If Marty let that goal in during game 7 of the Panthers series in OT last year many people here would have wanted him to retire. That goal flat out sucked.

If bad goals are the basis on this decision, I would hope you never watch the 2010 Hawks/Canucks series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If bad goals are the basis on this decision, I would hope you never watch the 2010 Hawks/Canucks series.

Explain to me why Miller should start over Quick? Quick is quite a bit younger, and just won the Conn Smythe. He's an all around better goalie now than Miller.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Quick, Miller, Anderson. That will be the lineup for Team USA, unless something crazy happens in the next year. I hope Bishop can continue to get better because he could be a beast for us in 5 years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quick, Miller, Anderson. That will be the lineup for Team USA, unless something crazy happens in the next year.

That will probably be exactly the lineup. Quick will start I think no matter what if he's available. I can see Miller getting a game in though.

Canada will probably be Luongo, Ward and MAF. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is the third string over MAF if he impresses in the next year. Let's be serious here, Marty won't be the third string.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

Explain to me why Miller should start over Quick? Quick is quite a bit younger, and just won the Conn Smythe. He's an all around better goalie now than Miller.

To be honest, I feel more comfortable with Anderson now that I just remembered that he is an American.

And while we are going off of current production, Quick currently has a save percentage under .900

I guess it will come down to who the hot hand is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be honest, I feel more comfortable with Anderson now that I just remembered that he is an American.

And while we are going off of current production, Quick currently has a save percentage under .900

I guess it will come down to who the hot hand is.

Quick hasn't had the strongest start to the season. Lundqvist was hovering down there for a while as well. Can't judge everything by save percentage. If we did Brian Elliott would be the best goalie in the league.:laugh::laugh:

Quick had bounced back before giving up 4 goals in his last two starts.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
That will probably be exactly the lineup. Quick will start I think no matter what if he's available. I can see Miller getting a game in though.

Canada will probably be Luongo, Ward and MAF. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is the third string over MAF if he impresses in the next year. Let's be serious here, Marty won't be the third string.

IMO it would be a battle between Luongo and Price for Canada's starter.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
IMO it would be a battle between Luongo and Price for Canada's starter.

I could see Luongo starting out for Canada. If he gets shelled though then he's out, and Ward is in from there on out. Just like when Marty lost it to Luongo in 2010 after initially being the starter, and just like Curtis Joseph lost it to Marty in 2002 after a bad first game.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I could see Luongo starting out for Canada. If he gets shelled though then he's out, and Ward is in from there on out. Just like when Marty lost it to Luongo in 2010 after initially being the starter, and just like Curtis Joseph lost it to Marty in 2002 after a bad first game.

Everyone knew Marty should have been the starter from the start in 02. Joseph got the go ahead only because of Quinn.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would kill to see a Price, Brodeur, and Smith lineup for Canada. My three favs.

Still not sold on Smith. I think he might be a flash in the pan, but we'll have to see this year, and next.

Finland should have a strong tandem with Lehtonen, and Kiprusoff. Too bad most of the rest of their team sucks!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad