Injury Report: Miller Out 4-6 Months

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It sucks for Miller, indeed. After being waived by a lesser team, he really stuck with the Red Wings.

However, I'd guess it increases the likelyhood of him re-signing. He might have to accept a lower salary, which would make him more affordable for the Red Wings, who know his qualities best. Thus I am hoping for both a speedy recovery, a long postseason and a new contract - because I do not buy the idea of Miller blocking highly skilled young players like Athanasiou or Mantha (who is steadily improving, but not overwhelming yet) from valubale NHL TOI either.

Gruß,
BSHH

Miller blocks not their spot in the lineup but their roster spot. See what happens to Helm? He gets pushed down to the 4th line. That clears up the top9 spots for players like Pulks, and hopefully next year, AA or Mantha.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Miller blocks not their spot in the lineup but their roster spot. See what happens to Helm? He gets pushed down to the 4th line. That clears up the top9 spots for players like Pulks, and hopefully next year, AA or Mantha.

Next year we can still have Miller plus AA or Mantha.

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Nyquist
Tatar
Larkin
Abby
Pulks
Sheahan
AA/Mantha

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Nyquist
Tatar
Larkin
Abby
Pulks
Sheahan
AA/Mantha

I can just see it now - AA/Mantha make the team, Jurco gets waived, Helm is let go as a free agent, and people complain for years about how Holland let go of Jurco and Helm instead of trading them, and instead opted to keep Miller.

I think you're right, and I think it's likely that Miller is back and that AA/Mantha (maybe both) are on the roster. I really do think Detroit is going to make a bold move to alleviate the roster logjam... Datsyuk is leaving shortly, the new rink is going to open up soon... I think it's going to happen. But who knows.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Nyquist
Tatar
Larkin
Abby
Pulks
Sheahan
AA/Mantha

So if you brought Miller back you'd have Jurco, Glendening, Miller. I guess if you assume at least one of Andersson/Helm is let go. I'm not so sure that'll happen. I'm also not that sure that Holland wouldn't be looking at whatever UFA forwards there are next off season. He does love his "depth." Personally I'd love to see Nosek as the 12th guy and Miller as the 13th forward. I like Nosek's board play and he can PK too.

I really do think Detroit is going to make a bold move to alleviate the roster logjam

When was Holland's last bold move?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
So if you brought Miller back you'd have Jurco, Glendening, Miller. I guess if you assume at least one of Andersson/Helm is let go. I'm not so sure that'll happen. I'm also not that sure that Holland wouldn't be looking at whatever UFA forwards there are next off season. He does love his "depth." Personally I'd love to see Nosek as the 12th guy and Miller as the 13th forward. I like Nosek's board play and he can PK too.

All I know is if we lose both Miller and Helm, our PK will be pathetic. Just my 2 cents.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
]

You're right, he hasn't done it recently... or much at all since he took over. But, we have heard he was in on Bouwmeester, he was ready to pull the trigger there. I think he will do it before the new stadium opens, personally. But I also have been kind of saying something along those lines the last couple years, so who really knows!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
All I know is if we lose both Miller and Helm, our PK will be pathetic. Just my 2 cents.

Helm actually doesn't PK that much anymore.

Glendening, Miller, Sheahan all PK more. I think Nosek or Larkin could fill his role fine.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can just see it now - AA/Mantha make the team, Jurco gets waived, Helm is let go as a free agent, and people complain for years about how Holland let go of Jurco and Helm instead of trading them, and instead opted to keep Miller.

This really is what WILL happen.

Miller stays as bench veteran. It's always built that way.

Glendening
Miller
Sheahan
Abdelkader/Larkin

Those should be enough for next season.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Helm won't be on the team next year.

"No way Cleary gets another contract."
"No way Abby should get 7 years."

I've just learned not to think that way with regards to Holland.

Aug 6, 2012
A 31 year old, 4th line winger coming off major knee surgery while showing obvious signs of regression. He is unfortunately not valuable anywhere else but the PK at this point in his career it seems.

I can see him signing a cheap ass deal and filling the 13th forward spot. To be honest I'd rather have Glenny filling that spot but that's just wishful thinking.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Signing Alfredsson?
Signing Weiss?
Trading for Legwand?
Signing Green?

How do you define bold? I think bold requires some risk. Signing a UFA vet who is basically a known quantity isn't much of a risk. Good moves are not the same as bold moves.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I worry that both Andersson and Miller will get new contracts.

I also worry that Holland can't manage roster turnover, like bringing in new talent while getting rid of the old.

EDIT: Anyone else wish Detroit had Nill as the GM?

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Miller has had some poor luck the last few years. Not good for our PK to lose Miller for the season.

Surprised to see a thread about an injury to a 12th/13th forward turn into a Ken Holland thread. Not.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Miller has had some poor luck the last few years. Not good for our PK to lose Miller for the season.

Surprised to see a thread about an injury to a 12th/13th forward turn into a Ken Holland thread. Not.

When the 12/13th forward can be replaced by a younger guy that the team lost on waivers, yes it will turn into a "Holland can't manage his roster" discussion.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Poor Miller! Probably played his last game as a Red Wing too. Or what do you guys say?
I wouldn't be totally against resigning him, if he takes a pay cut and is ok with being the 13th/14th forward.

I suspect this is the end of the line. He was a very solid PK'er however we have guys who will be up as soon as next year - Athanasiou and Mantha - meaning the odds we have a spot for Miller seem long.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

eh there's a difference imo

Aug 6, 2012
He's also gone 13 games now without a point for Boston, so his hot start has shown to be exactly that and nothing more.

It's shown he has plenty of capabilities that reflect what a lot of us saw watching him grow into a Red Wing. Still think he can be a Patrick Eaves type player, but its not worth arguing anymore.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Helm will get a 3 year deal minimum 'he's a top 6 forward with elite skating and can play in the top 6,you can't find them on the open market '.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
eh there's a difference imo

What's the difference? Holland hates letting his boys go. We were all here thinking about 4-5 years for Abby and then bam, 7 years. I'll be happy if we don't overpay to retain Helm (if he stays cheap who cares, just dump Andersson and sit Luke for all I care). I just know it's quite possible for Helm to be signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad