Confirmed with Link: Miller, Ott for Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 2015 1st, 2014 1st/2016 3rd[Conditional]

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Might be something to it, might be a coincidence. Given that in both seasons the SV% is higher due to very high PK SV%, and his ES SV% has been in line with his career numbers. So, a lot of it is luck.
Spot on, especially for 09-10. Miller had a remarkable and unsustainable PK stretch that year that boosted his stats. Twas why I begged to trade him then when he was The American Hero.

13-14, somewhat high PK stats again but more that his stats improved with the rest of the league.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Might be something to it, might be a coincidence. Given that in both seasons the SV% is higher due to very high PK SV%, and his ES SV% has been in line with his career numbers. So, a lot of it is luck.

I will always be of the opinion that Ruff ran Miller into the ground every year because there was no decent backup. I really feel that's why we saw a better Miller this year, he's just too small of a guy to handle the 65-70 games he was getting.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I will always be of the opinion that Ruff ran Miller into the ground every year because there was no decent backup. I really feel that's why we saw a better Miller this year, he's just too small of a guy to handle the 65-70 games he was getting.

agreed

although, there may have been decent backups, if Ruff knew how to use them, keep them active and sharp, etc

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pretty much. He gets injured a relative lot for a keeper, too. Since 08/09:
High ankle sprain
Olympics
Concussion
Concussion
Variance/sample size/worst possession team in hockey
Olympics

He doesn't miss a ton of time compared to a lot of other guys that have been #1s that long.

Miller has 336 games played since 08-09. MAF has 343 and Lundqvist has 362.

Miller is pretty durable, especially given how thin he is.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I have been saying that for years....you cant play him so much. They needed to limit him to something around the mid 50s and no back to back games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have been saying that for years....you cant play him so much. They needed to limit him to something around the mid 50s and no back to back games.

One thing that people have gone away from is a distribution of work like they had back in the early 80s.

During the Islanders run to 4 straight Stanley Cups, Billy Smith never played in more than 46 regular season games in a season.

Then he was the #1 in the playoffs.

I think the big money that goes to #1s leads to coaches overplaying them.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He doesn't miss a ton of time compared to a lot of other guys that have been #1s that long.

Miller has 336 games played since 08-09. MAF has 343 and Lundqvist has 362.

Miller is pretty durable, especially given how thin he is.
His injuries might not lead to a ton of games missed, but they correspond with some of his worst production, and I don't think that's coincidence. Those concussions from preseason 2010 to the Lucic incident were at the core of a noticeable dip from even Miller's 08-09 form (a season in which he was straight-up better than Lundqvist until the ankle).

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Not that I wouldn't expect it from professionals, but I'm impressed at how well they're both handling the move. I've always pictured Stewart as a prima donna from all the slander I've read about him.

Oh no that's one thing (as a Blues fan) I can say is great about Chris Stewart, he is the perfect teammate/locker room presence. The guy will do anything for his teammates, and go to war with anybody on another team that messes with one of his own. Stewy & Shattenkirk are a big part of the reason Tarasenko has adapted as well as he has to the American lifestyle and English.

On a side note it looked like Tarasenko and Miller are already starting to become fast friends after the game last night.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Murray confirmed in his interview with WGR exactly what the conditions were for Miller re-signing. He said they'll get a 1st if he re-signs by the draft or his rights are traded to another team. The 2016 3rd becomes a 2014 2nd (maybe 2015) if he is signed after the draft.

Unless they really have the urge to get something done right away, it wouldn't make sense for Armstrong to sign Miller before then. Even if they do want to get something done, they could shake on a deal then wait til after the draft to do it. Don't see why they would willingly give up that 1st if it's a matter of signing before a certain day.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Murray confirmed in his interview with WGR exactly what the conditions were for Miller re-signing. He said they'll get a 1st if he re-signs by the draft or his rights are traded to another team. The 2016 3rd becomes a 2014 2nd (maybe 2015) if he is signed after the draft.

Unless they really have the urge to get something done right away, it wouldn't make sense for Armstrong to sign Miller before then. Even if they do want to get something done, they could shake on a deal then wait til after the draft to do it. Don't see why they would willingly give up that 1st if it's a matter of signing before a certain day.

You are forgetting Armstrong doesnt have total control of the pick---STL advance to the conference finals the pick trade of STL 1st for MIN 2nd, BUF 3rd and the 3rd from STL happens automatically.

sivert

Apr 5, 2007
Kazan
BiC7ZIrIAAAHn4i.jpg:large

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Good stuff from Jeremy White getting all the conditions. I will update the assets thread with all the conditions later today.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
According to the A section, we might get the 1st round 2014 pick AND 3rd round pick 2016? So they are not interchangeable, as previously stated?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
According to the A section, we might get the 1st round 2014 pick AND 3rd round pick 2016? So they are not interchangeable, as previously stated?

That appears to be correct. So it appears we get one of these sets of picks, based on various conditions:
1. STL 2014 1st, STL 2016 3rd (and we send MIN 2014 2nd, BUF 2014 3rd) if any of conditions in A are met
2. STL 2016 2nd if any of conditions in B are met
3. STL 2016 3rd if none of A or B conditions are met

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
WGR 550 ‏@WGR550 4m

. @robray32 on Jaroslav Halak: "Slava Kozlov was the only other player ... that was as grumpy and miserable for being traded to Buffalo."

WGR 550 ‏@WGR550 2m

Chris Stewart has a different outlook than Halak did according to @robray32: "He's happy. He's excited to be here."

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
WGR 550 ‏@WGR550 4m

. @robray32 on Jaroslav Halak: "Slava Kozlov was the only other player ... that was as grumpy and miserable for being traded to Buffalo."

WGR 550 ‏@WGR550 2m

Chris Stewart has a different outlook than Halak did according to @robray32: "He's happy. He's excited to be here."

Good thing they traded him. Can't say I blame him, either.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Let me see if I got this right in regards to trading Miller before or after the draft.

NHL Free Agency starts on:

June 25-30, 2014 Free-agent interviews window

The NHL draft is:

June 27-28, 2014 Draft, Philadelphia

So basically if the Blues don't end up making it to the Conference Finals and don't sign Miller to a contract extension he is gone because he is not going to wait until after the draft to sign with another team when NHL Free Agency is a month before the draft. Why would that condition even be in the clause unless St. Louis didn't have plans to sign him. I am confused.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Let me see if I got this right in regards to trading Miller before or after the draft.

The NHL draft is:

So basically if the Blues don't end up making it to the Conference Finals and don't sign Miller to a contract extension he is gone because he is not going to wait until after the draft to sign with another team when NHL Free Agency is a month before the draft. Why would that condition even be in the clause unless St. Louis didn't have plans to sign him. I am confused.

Huh? UFAs can speak with new teams before the draft, but they can't actually sign with anyone other than the team they are under contract to until July 1

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The NHL draft is:

You must be reading "July" there somewhere. Free agency starts 3 days after the draft (July 1st). New to this CBA is a special period, like in the NBA, where you can talk to upcoming free agents and negotiate with them, but signings can not happen until free agency opens on July 1st. This period starts 2 days before the draft and ends, obviously, when free agency begins.

I do agree though that you don't want Miller sitting there able to get calls from teams for a few days, especially when you'd still be giving Buffalo a 2nd if you sign him after anyhow. Just give up the 1st, get a 2nd back (MIN 2014), and be glad Miller re-signed.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
You must be reading "July" there somewhere. Free agency starts 3 days after the draft (July 1st). New to this CBA is a special period, like in the NBA, where you can talk to upcoming free agents and negotiate with them, but signings can not happen until free agency opens on July 1st. This period starts 2 days before the draft and ends, obviously, when free agency begins.

I do agree though that you don't want Miller sitting there able to get calls from teams for a few days, especially when you'd still be giving Buffalo a 2nd if you sign him after anyhow. Just give up the 1st, get a 2nd back (MIN 2014), and be glad Miller re-signed.

Oh okay. Never mind, thought I was missing something. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00