Player Discussion Miller for a fair return

Should we trade Miller before this TDL if the return is fair?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Trade him now.

Someone will be desperate as the clock ticks down. Colorado hasn't done anything yet and has (allegedly) been the bridesmaid already, Giroux. A GM will see other contenders doing moves to improve and cave to the price.

The Canucks performance the last two games and the kinds of returns teams are getting in trades just cements it. Do it now.

Miller to Colorado just makes so much sense.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Trade him now.

Someone will be desperate as the clock ticks down. Colorado hasn't done anything yet and has (allegedly) been the bridesmaid already, Giroux. A GM will see other contenders doing moves to improve and cave to the price.

The Canucks performance the last two games and the kinds of returns teams are getting in trades just cements it. Do it now.

Colorado/Carolina/Toronto are the only contender-type teams I can see as fits now that a bunch of the other contending teams have made their moves and used their picks/prospects/cap space.

Carolina has the most picks/assets that are interesting, Colorado has the most interesting young NHLer pieces, and Toronto has a couple interesting pieces but they seem hell bent on holding onto their 1st for some reason.

NYR another wildcard but they seem pretty intent on just playing around on the fringes of the trade market and not ponying up—they might be pretty aware of how unsustainable their success is..

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Fair value is a strange term, when it comes to such a convoluted, artificial market…

I mean we are trying to take advantage of the market closing date and a bunch of cap space rules to actually get a deal that we win, and the more we win the deal the happier we are…

But we are not going to be happy if we look at some other trade and we didn’t win or trade as much as the others…

so our expectation of fair is set by a trade or trades that is different then ours, in almost a 100 ways, and we will not call our trade fair value unless we win the trade the same amount as another team won theres…

And is if fair if we win a trade… It is for us lol

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s not about a fair return. If the decision is to trade Miller, the question should be whether the return for Miller is better at the TDL.

Teams looking to acquire Miller now will be reluctant to part with a roster player even if it’s a young guy currently playing a bottom 6 or bottom pairing role. Canucks would also be reluctant to retain salary.

If the return is the same or better then ya all else being equal it’s better to move Miller now. You can get a head start on evaluating the return.

Reactions: racerjoe

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Why would offers be better in the off season, when the aqiring team only gets Miller for one playoff? The idea is to mazimize our return, and that is done by the aquiring team using Miller as a rental for two playoffs.

Teams can negotiate an extension though. Miller with an extension in place will still get us a haul like we saw with the Jones and Lindholm trades.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
If you can dump Boeser and Garland and sign JT Miller to a $9x4 contract I would do that.

If Miller wants a max length and money deal from us because we aren’t contenders I would probably trade him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Teams can negotiate an extension though. Miller with an extension in place will still get us a haul like we saw with the Jones and Lindholm trades.

While that's true, it also can close the marketplace off to any team not able to offer an extension, and puts a ton of leverage in the hands of the Miller camp. For example, he could say "I will only sign an extension with these two teams". Ok well now you have a two team trade market that limits the return.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If you can dump Boeser and Garland and sign JT Miller to a $9x4 contract I would do that.

If Miller wants a max length and money deal from us because we aren’t contenders I would probably trade him.

JT Miller is having a career season and is looking to cash in on what is likely the last contract of his career. 4 years is an absolute joke to this calibre of player with the level of production he's sustained over the last 3 seasons. He's getting a 6-8 year deal without lifting a finger.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Yup. No chance Miller takes less then 6 years. Let's just put that to bed right now.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I don't see his value dropping significantly between now and next deadline so I don't see the reason to trade him now unless it's an overpayment. There's no reason to rush a trade for a fair value. If somebody overpays then that's a different story.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Aquilini is still pulling the strings on trades, then this new regime isn't going to last very long. At his age and with his resume, Rutherford didn't come here to be a 'yes man'. And he wouldn't have gone out and hired Allvin if he thought they'd have to convince ownership on every trade.

I think the bigger problem is that Miller might have priced himself out of the trade market, at least over the short term and up to the TDL on Monday. There's simply not a lot of teams that have the assets to spring Miller from the Canucks. The only team that I can see as a viable trading partner is the Rangers. And they would appear to be balking at the Canucks' 'ask'.

But I have complete confidence that when and if Rutherford deals players he'll get fair value back. You simply had no such confidence with Benning.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
While that's true, it also can close the marketplace off to any team not able to offer an extension, and puts a ton of leverage in the hands of the Miller camp. For example, he could say "I will only sign an extension with these two teams". Ok well now you have a two team trade market that limits the return.

True. I'm only saying we should hold on to Miller if they are late 1st + Lundqvist type deals. Maybe a team will be more desperate in the summer, and if not we probably won't get less than that.

Why would Miller sign that? Hertl just got 8.1 over 8 years, and is paid over 10m in years 2-4. A 4 year deal for Miller would probably have to be 11m.

Reactions: racerjoe and timw33

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Trade him now.

while that would be nice, they have little cap space. I can't even speculate on camp dump that we could accept that would accommodate us. And what can they trade us that would make it worth our while? Their 1st will likely be in the 30 OA range. Maybe Newhook, Byram and their 1st, and a cap dump of $2M, and we retain $3M this year, and $1.5 M next year. I would cheerfully do that

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
while that would be nice, they have little cap space. I can't even speculate on camp dump that we could accept that would accommodate us. And what can they trade us that would make it worth our while? Their 1st will likely be in the 30 OA range. Maybe Newhook, Byram and their 1st, and a cap dump of $2M, and we retain $3M this year, and $1.5 M next year. I would cheerfully do that

They can afford him right now without retention. But if they need they can put Landeskog on LTIR if he ends up having knee surgery.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trade him now.

agreed that Miller to Colorado makes the most sense for the aquiring team. They get Miller at a very good cap cost for the two playoffs before they have to pay Mackinnon.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
They have to try to make a Colorado deal happen. Sakic is notoriously stingy but I think we could pry a decent haul.

Newhook would be an awesome return. I'd entertain Byram if there were multiple other picks involved to mitigate the risk.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
They have to try to make a Colorado deal happen. Sakic is notoriously stingy but I think we could pry a decent haul.

Newhook would be an awesome return. I'd entertain Byram if there were multiple other picks involved to mitigate the risk.
6rZ8g8R.jpg

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I don't see his value dropping significantly between now and next deadline so I don't see the reason to trade him now unless it's an overpayment. There's no reason to rush a trade for a fair value. If somebody overpays then that's a different story.
If this is a "this year" fair value, you should do it, especially they lose tonight. First of all, his value will drop next year: 1 playoff run vs 2 playoff runs, next year maybe a buyer market, his number may not be as hot as right now.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Good chance Miller regresses at least a bit next year as he’s been playing out of his mind this year. His value down the road could be considerably lower and the Canucks are a team that needs to sell high on some assets, since we haven’t done that for about a decade…

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
If you can trade him to the Avs 50% retained and get back Newhook and Bryam, then you need to do it. With the Rangers, I think unless you are getting back Lafreniere and Schneider then there is no deal. Rutherford needs to hold all the cards here and ask for the moon. Otherwise wait until the draft.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If he can't be retained, then send him outta conference and hope he re-ups there. Don't want to watch him torch us the next 6-7 years, walking our new best players to UFA with zero playoff wins.

Feb 19, 2018
If you can get a Lafrenier you don’t hesitate and trade him. Kid is only 20 years old and went 1st overall 2 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad