Player Discussion Miller for a fair return

Should we trade Miller before this TDL if the return is fair?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Vs waiting to off-season (for a fair value trade)? I think this poll needs more options. I am on board with trading miller for the right return. Whether that’s now or deadline. Not so keen on resigning him as the term/ $ is going to be hard to justify in like 4yrs time.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Surprising results. Someone told me yesterday that most here now wanted to keep him. I Didn’t think the consensus changed that much. Nobody wants to keep him at the term and cap that he’ll command on his retirement contract.

Reactions: Fatass

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This is a seller's market...
And Miller is definitely the best player available.
He will fetch a big price...
And I doubt the offers during the off-season will be better.

Unfortunately...
I am not sure Aquilini actually wants to be a seller.
Otherwise...
Moves would have already been made.
I am not sure how many more teams are buyers.

It is what it is.
We will see what happens tomorrow.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
If we weren't a mess of an organization, from top to bottom, I'd love to re-sign Miller....but we are a mess, from top to bottom. They should retain salary to maximize his value and sell. The only reason not to is if they are being low balled.

Rutherford is not a young and green GM.
He has been around the block long enough that people likely would not try to lowball him.
I think the issue really is Aquilini.
He might be greedy enough to try to squeeze for a couple of playoff games revenue.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I would love to trade Miller at fair value. I just don’t think we have had a fair value offer.

With the prices that have been thrown around...
It is doubtful that there have been no fair offers.
I still think it is Aquilini who still wants to try to push for the playoffs.

Whatever.
I have lost hope again...
After Rutherford said that only a retool is needed.
That gave me Benning flashbacks...
And since he is no longer here...
That only leaves Aquilini as the common denominator.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Rutherford is not a young and green GM.
He has been around the block long enough that people likely would not try to lowball him.
I think the issue really is Aquilini.
He might be greedy enough to try to squeeze for a couple of playoff games revenue.
Possibly, but I thought the whole reason for hiring JR was that he would be able to "manage up" with Aquilini? If that's not the case then what's the point? If management isn't able to properly assess the problems with the team and take the steps to correct them, then Aquilini might as well just assign himself as GM and President and save himself some money.

Right now, I'm trying to be patient and give JR and Allvin the benefit of the doubt...see what their direction for the team is, then decide if I'm on board with them...but it gets increasingly difficult to be supportive when you hear a lot of the reporting going on...hoping for some action soon to find out what's accurate and what's not.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Surprising results. Someone told me yesterday that most here now wanted to keep him. I Didn’t think the consensus changed that much. Nobody wants to keep him at the term and cap that he’ll command on his retirement contract.

I was under that impression too.

Maybe it was me who told you that? :golfnana:

• Wow

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Possibly, but I thought the whole reason for hiring JR was that he would be able to "manage up" with Aquilini? If that's not the case then what's the point? If management isn't able to properly assess the problems with the team and take the steps to correct them, then Aquilini might as well just assign himself as GM and President and save himself some money.

Right now, I'm trying to be patient and give JR and Allvin the benefit of the doubt...see what their direction for the team is, then decide if I'm on board with them...but it gets increasingly difficult to be supportive when you hear a lot of the reporting going on...hoping for some action soon to find out what's accurate and what's not.
I agree… trying to be patient too. Wanting to at least wait and see what the first couple trades even look like. So far we really have nothing to go by, which can be confusing. I still get the sense they want to see us competing in 2-3yrs but some heavy lifting still needs to be done. Think we are all ready for change, no more kicking the can down the road.

Reactions: Canucker

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
With the prices that have been thrown around...
It is doubtful that there have been no fair offers.
I still think it is Aquilini who still wants to try to push for the playoffs.

Whatever.
I have lost hope again...
After Rutherford said that only a retool is needed.
That gave me Benning flashbacks...
And since he is no longer here...
That only leaves Aquilini as the common denominator.

Except the best offer we know of sucked.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Waiting until the off season is risky. Similar to how the yotes messsed up by not moving Chychrun before he got hurt. Arizona is spoiled by raping dim though so they probably think they can rape everyone. Hope they realize that dim is one of kind and they aren’t raping anyone else anymore. But back on topic, I am not concerned that he will get hurt and lower his value before the off season per say. I am more concerned that the more the teams scout him, they will realize that he has no business on the PK and won’t be able to create his offense on a more structured defensive system. That 2 on 0 last night was the perfect example of Miller hockey. He was goal sucking on the PK lol. He was waiting at the Calgary blue line for a breakaway pass and so far from the play it was crazy. Lol

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

At this point...
My theory is that the problem is Aquilini...
And everyone that has been hired after Gillis are mere PR stunts.

We will see.
There is still time anyways.
Perhaps the doom and gloom has been too premature...
But I will admit this new regime has a very short leash for me.
I am really jaded after so many years.
During that time...
The whole conversation around the team was so weird...
That I did not believe I was the sane one.
:laugh:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
At this point...
My theory is that the problem is Aquilini...
And everyone that has been hired after Gillis are mere PR stunts.

We will see.
There is still time anyways.
Perhaps the doom and gloom has been too premature...
But I will admit this new regime has a very short leash for me.
I am really jaded after so many years.
During that time...
The whole conversation around the team was so weird...
That I did not believe I was the sane one.
:laugh:
As bad as Aquilini has been, I doubt he's pulling the strings on this...JR has brought in HIS people and Aquilini has been thoroughly embarrassed by Benning, he's likely slunk into the background for the moment...I think JR has some time before Aquilini starts to try and meddle. Besides...JR could be living in a nice retirement community playing Canasta with his buddies, he doesn't need, or have time to deal with a meddling owner. lol

Reactions: B-rock

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As bad as Aquilini has been, I doubt he's pulling the strings on this...JR has brought in HIS people and Aquilini has been thoroughly embarrassed by Benning, he's likely slunk into the background for the moment...I think JR has some time before Aquilini starts to try and meddle. Besides...JR could be living in a nice retirement community playing Canasta with his buddies, he doesn't need, or have time to deal with a meddling owner. lol

Also keep in mind that FA has allowed his new hires free reign for the most part. He doesn’t seem to get overly involved until later down the road.

There is no way JR takes this job unless he has full control.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not to be too nitpicky, but depends on what the "fair" return is.
I want a quality-based fair return (one or two great pieces - like Byram or Schneider + 1st); not a quantity-based fair return (late 1st, a few A/B prospects with no real blue chippers).

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
The answer to the poll is a resounding NO!!!

So we struggled out of the gate, we have been playing extraordinary hockey since December and it is a reflection of what this team truly is.

Trading Miller for anything short of McDavid is blowing up a really good team.

I am saying it now that if it happens the calls to fire JR and Allvin will be starting.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The answer to the poll is a resounding NO!!!

So we struggled out of the gate, we have been playing extraordinary hockey since December and it is a reflection of what this team truly is.

Trading Miller for anything short of McDavid is blowing up a really good team.

I am saying it now that if it happens the calls to fire JR and Allvin will be starting.
Yes, I'm sure the cries of all two of you will be deafening. lol

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not to be too nitpicky, but depends on what the "fair" return is.
I want a quality-based fair return (one or two great pieces - like Byram or Schneider + 1st); not a quantity-based fair return (late 1st, a few A/B prospects with no real blue chippers).

Okay.

Say we only get the latter.

Then what? We let him walk?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Okay.

Say we only get the latter.

Then what? We let him walk?

I'd still trade him, but maybe wait till the offseason to see if the offers get any better. There might be more teams interested in him since there's more cap flexibility in the offseason.

Reactions: Pip

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd still trade him, but maybe wait till the offseason to see if the offers get any better. There might be more teams interested in him since there's more cap flexibility in the offseason.
Why would offers be better in the off season, when the aqiring team only gets Miller for one playoff? The idea is to mazimize our return, and that is done by the aquiring team using Miller as a rental for two playoffs.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad