Value of: Miles Wood to Oil

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
If Sekera can be moved in the deal, would Bear be of interest to the NJ fans? He's been leap frogged by Bouchard on the depth chart in Edmonton.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wilson and Woods aren't remotely similiar cases. One played key role in a cup on a potential break out performance, still a bad deal, but if he plays like that it could potentially be great.

Wood has zero rights, no arbitration. He is basically beholden to whatever Shero offers.
Wilson had no rights, no arbitration either did he?

Paying Wilson for 20 good games is dumb when you have 440 other games of evidence. He had 5 points in his other 41 playoff games before this year.

The Caps had the opportunity to sign Wilson way cheaper than they did but failed to do it. NJ will sign Wood to a deal that everyone will like.

And fwiw, I like both players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I do expect his negotiations to take some time but to get done, and he stays in Jersey. But just for fun. If Shero does trade him, what would the Devils want?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I do expect his negotiations to take some time but to get done, and he stays in Jersey. But just for fun. If Shero does trade him, what would the Devils want?
We are pretty high on Wood and have several designed plays featuring him to utilize his speed. It would probably be Nurse though that would need to come back and Edmonton wouldn't do that.

Reactions: Blender

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I think one of Russell or Sekera makes sense for NJ. Not for Wood nessecarily, but just in general. They would be cheap, and it would give NJ a top 4 dman to fill in while they complete their rebuild

This makes no sense for NJ. Why do they want an >30D with a NMC so it can screw them over in the Seattle expansion draft? Surely they have better options than that. Especially if there is any willingness to use Wood as a trade chip

edit: bleh, I didn't notice page 2 where multiple other people point this out already. my bad

Reactions: HBK27

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wilson had no rights, no arbitration either did he?

Paying Wilson for 20 good games is dumb when you have 440 other games of evidence. He had 5 points in his other 41 playoff games before this year.

The Caps had the opportunity to sign Wilson way cheaper than they did but failed to do it. NJ will sign Wood to a deal that everyone will like.

And fwiw, I like both players.

Wilson chose not to file. Not the same.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wilson chose not to file. Not the same.
Once he chose not to file, the Caps had all the leverage. They didn't use it. Instead took it up the ass by Wilson's agent.

Anyway's, enough about Wilson. Wood will sign a good deal I am sure.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Once he chose not to file, the Caps had all the leverage. They didn't use it. Instead took it up the ass by Wilson's agent.

Anyway's, enough about Wildon. Wood will sign a good deal I am sure.

... and he’ll outproduce Wilson with significantly fewer minutes, just like last year. At a fraction of the cap hit.

That contract is such a joke.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I wonder why negotiations are so far apart, unless they are trying to figure out something long term. Any 2 year bridge deal shouldn't be squabbled on too much. Wood is a solid player who is improving. 2.5-3M AAV area for 2 year bridge should be easy and then they have a good look at what he can bring for extension.

So, I would guess that the idea of being far apart is because there is some discussion to see if there is a long term deal they can figure out and in the end will settle on the easy bridge deal. I wouldn't read too much into it right now.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
We need to hold onto miles wood. His potential is way too high. I think he's got 30 goal potential and you combine that with his speed, tenacity, work eithic, physical play and ability to agitate you then have quite the player. He is exactly the type off player Shero wants on this team going forward. If we were to trade him the other team would have to severely over pay.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Its pretty bad when an 18 year old not in the top 5 leap frogs a "top 4" defensmen without showing up to camp.
How many of your "top 6 forwards" did Nico Hischier leap frog when 18 years old. Re: Bouchard, thats what happens when a high level RH shot defender gets drafted. Was the snarky remark really necessary?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
How many of your "top 6 forwards" did Nico Hischier leap frog when 18 years old. Re: Bouchard, thats what happens when a high level RH shot defender gets drafted. Was the snarky remark really necessary?
Hischier jumped nobody during rookie camp and started main camp as 3rd line center, he earned 1st line. Plus he was 1st overall. Snarky comment was warranted.

Last edited:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hischier jumped nobody during rookie camp and started main camp as 3rd line center, he earned 1st line. Plus he was 1st overall. Snarky comment was warrented.
Bouchard is going to start at bottom pairing RH side D, at best, and will probably only get in 9 games before going back to London. Your snarky comment was neither "warrented" nor warranted.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Bouchard is going to start at bottom pairing RH side D, at best, and will probably only get in 9 games before going back to London. Your snarky comment was neither "warrented" nor warranted.
Tell that to your Oiler fanboy group, they seem to think he is instant top 4 before training camp. Posts like that will be called out.

Additionally, Wood will not be traded for a package of lesser players.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
So they are taking 2 guys that you are putting in there for your team's cap reasons, and then adding a second.

This is like going to a store to buy milk and saying "I don't have cash, but I do have a flip flop and a portable fan. Thos are both worth something, so you should give me the bottle of milk."

In your world no other team offers NJ an actual asset that they want and their only offer is to take the 2 guys you want to move and a 2nd.

Don't see it happening.
Tell me more about this fan...

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
As posted above, I can see Wood being used as a piece in a bigger deal. Say Stone from the Sens or Nino of the Wild. The Devils don’t need draft picks at the moment.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tell that to your Oiler fanboy group, they seem to think he is instant top 4 before training camp. Posts like that will be called out.

Additionally, Wood will not be traded for a package of lesser players.

Ethan Bear is not a top 4D on our team so cut the ****. Bear at this point likely starts the season in the AHL barring injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad