Value of: Miles Wood to Oil

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

If this is true, what wood NJ fans want for him?

We would need to send Caggiula + Kassian for cap room.

My offer:
Caggiula + Kassian + 2nd

Maybe add Jones and switch the pick to a 3rd/4th cause you guys need LD.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The fact that they are far apart in contract talks at this point is literally meaningless. He is a RFA with no arbitration rights

Damon Severson was literally in this exact situation last summer and he wasn't signed until right before camp started, and he got a 6 year deal

not really interested in moving him for spare parts right now. I think he is just scratching the surface of what he could be and he might be the fastest player in the league. If we were to move him (if at all), it would almost assuredly be in a package for an upgrade on D or 2C

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If he wants a lot of money, we can’t afford him unless the Devils are taking Lucic/Sekera/Russell. Which until we find a time machine / he’s proven he’s healthy and back to form / Shero suffers a serious brain injury the Devils will not be doing without serious reason to do so.

Do you really want Hall for Larsson redux? Chia will probably offer RNH straight up.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

My offer:
Caggiula + Kassian + 2nd

So they are taking 2 guys that you are putting in there for your team's cap reasons, and then adding a second.

This is like going to a store to buy milk and saying "I don't have cash, but I do have a flip flop and a portable fan. Thos are both worth something, so you should give me the bottle of milk."

In your world no other team offers NJ an actual asset that they want and their only offer is to take the 2 guys you want to move and a 2nd.

Don't see it happening.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

My offer:
Caggiula + Kassian + 2nd

He is RFA with no arbitration rights. Why would NJ do this?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd definitely be interested if his asking price on a contract and his GM's asking price on a deal aren't too high.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Not happening he's mostly getting a 2-3 year contract extension with the devils. Waste of a proposal and Edmonton is a bad trade partner

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No interest in moving Wood, and the current state of negotiations means nothing. Even if he were going to be moved, it wouldn't be for two cap dumps who are both older and worse players, plus a 2nd. That's a joke.

Reactions: Spazkat

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think one of Russell or Sekera makes sense for NJ. Not for Wood nessecarily, but just in general. They would be cheap, and it would give NJ a top 4 dman to fill in while they complete their rebuild

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Unless Chia wants to get stupid again, I have no interest in trading Wood.

If I was a Devils fan I’d be 100% in favour of Shero calling up Chia whenever possible.

‘Hey Chia! Wood eh? Well we really like him you know. What about ‘throws dart at board’ McLeod and Wood for Drai?... wait, what? Yes? You have to be f***in... I mean.. I think this is a good deal for both teams. Done.’

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

My offer:
Caggiula + Kassian + 2nd

That wouldn't get it done, one of the better 5 on 5 stats in the league, a 22 year old that scored 19 goals, and you want to take on a couple of cast offs in Caggiula and Kassian. Try your first round pick at least with no lottery protection.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think one of Russell or Sekera makes sense for NJ. Not for Wood nessecarily, but just in general. They would be cheap, and it would give NJ a top 4 dman to fill in while they complete their rebuild

I doubt anyone is going to take on those contracts.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Edmonton fans will need to know that we are stil rebuilding and it will take a couple years to fully see how it pans out.

Wood is a vital part of that and I think he's just what Shero and Hynes wants in terms of work ethic and tenacity in a player. Yes he has speed but in my opinion those traits are far more important then he's speed.

I can't see a deal here because NJ simply don't want to trade away.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don't think Shero would give up a good middle six piece with control over his prime years for anything the Oilers would be willing to give. If you believe in players who can get in opponents' heads, you value Wood even more.

Not good trade partners - both teams still need help on D.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Miles is a non starter. This kid is still so raw and actually has quite a high ceiling. There is zero reason to trade him right now, plus I want to see him and McLeod on a line in training camp. That speed will be insane

Reactions: HBK27

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NJ will make sure the Wilson contract looks even more awful after they sign Wood. He will make less than half of Wilson on a 2 year deal is my guess.

As for the OP, it's bad. NJ will keep him. They have tons of cap room to sign him, they are just being smart and using the lack of leverage that RFA's have.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
NJ will make sure the Wilson contract looks even more awful after they sign Wood. He will make less than half of Wilson on a 2 year deal is my guess.

As for the OP, it's bad. NJ will keep him. They have tons of cap room to sign him, they are just being smart and using the lack of leverage that RFA's have.

Wilson and Woods aren't remotely similiar cases. One played key role in a cup on a potential break out performance, still a bad deal, but if he plays like that it could potentially be great.

Wood has zero rights, no arbitration. He is basically beholden to whatever Shero offers.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nope.

Don't think it's exactly ground-breaking that an RFA with no arbitration rights is still "far apart" from a contract at the end of July. Plenty of time.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

My offer:
Caggiula + Kassian + 2nd

You want to send them two guys for cap room and then you’re only adding a second?

Ok there :laugh:

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad