GDT: Mild @ Abes | 7:30pm MT 1:57am ESPN Time | Non-Emergency Emergency GDT

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Had to watch this one on significant time delay. I'm in the second period right now but had to jump online to say, this is the John Buccigross I missed from ESPN's original NHL run. His call after MacKinnon's goal, "Watch out...Here comes MacKinnon, SCOOOOOORE!!!!!!. He's a freakshow!!!! And he's extra freaky-deaky tonight. Two goals, an assist, three points in all and the Avs lead 4 to 2."

It could just be me, but it seems like he and the rest of the ESPN crew has been a bit down on the Avs, or rather cheering for the other team in most of the broadcasts they've done since they got the new contract. Tonight, has been refreshing. Bucci is heaping praise on both teams and just calling out great plays both ways. It's a true national broadcast and I'm really enjoying it.

Also, I am contemplating something I never thought I would do. Nathaniel MacKinnon, Protector of the North Range, destroyer of keepers, defenders and would be attackers, and first of his name has actually surpassed Joe Sakic as my preferred center from Avs/Nordiques franchise. He's also neck and neck and may actually be ahead of Peter the Great as the first forward I would choose in an Avalanche all-time re-rank.

And as I'm typing this all out, I hear Bucci say, "Final minute in the second, watch out MacKinnon's got wheels, MACKINNON IS GOING TO GO RIGHT AROUND MIDDLETON. HERE HE COMES AGAIN! HELLLLLO!!!!! HERE COMES THE HATS!"

Maybe I'm just enjoying the hell out of the Avs playing a good game of hockey and that's got me doing the Rocky Mountain High tonight. Or maybe it's the dope I smoked after chemo. Either way, good night.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Man what a game. MacK literally with an MVP performance last night almost as if he was going to drag the team to a W no matter what. Greedment of the night award goes to Frail Cale for not allowing MacK to get an assist on his goal. Eliminated the Wild from contention? Yes please, I'll have another! Game against the Jets will be the most important one remaining if we want to secure home ice.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Man, Drouins start with us versus where hes at now is juat crazy.

- 1G, 2 Assists, -3, playing ~12 minutes a night in his first 15 games.

-8G, 12 Assists, +14, playing ~20 minutes a night including at least 20:47 in his last 9 straight games.

The switch flipped for him sometime in November and he has been absolutely unbelievable for us ever since, and only getting better the more Bednar uses him.

Absolutely need to find a way to re-sign him.
I more impressed with his effort level and defensive play which is the two things Habs fans said he can't do. Also really nice seeing him how happy he looks and probably enjoy so much being here. As someone who lives in Quebec, boy it wasn't easy for him with all the media and fans constantly shi**ing on him. I have a hard time seeing him go elsewhere even if they offer much more money.

Reactions: AslanRH

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Mikko injury could be a blessing in disquise, if it finally occurred to Bednar that he should let Drouin be the second wheel in MacKinnon line. Put Lehkonen there to deal with defense and grinding. And then Nuke-Mitts-Rants.

But no-one should be surprised to find Mikko back there with Nate tbh.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
1. Sakic
2. MacKinnon
3. Makar
4. Roy
5. Forsberg
6. Skoula

1/2/3 are because we likely get entire careers out of these guys. Sakic also won 2 Cups, Gold medals, Hart trophies, etc. so he's #1 for me... for now.

We didn't get Roy and Forsberg for full careers otherwise they might be higher.

Skoula at #6 because his puck poise was just unmatched in not only Avs history but the NHL altogether.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My favorite thing about Mack, especially when he’s playing like he was last night, is how difficult he makes the game look. And I mean that in the most complimentary way. So many times he goes out and does stuff that literally only he can do. Special special talent.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Mikko injury could be a blessing in disquise, if it finally occurred to Bednar that he should let Drouin be the second wheel in MacKinnon line. Put Lehkonen there to deal with defense and grinding. And then Nuke-Mitts-Rants.

But no-one should be surprised to find Mikko back there with Nate tbh.
I'm just quoting this for truth. MacK can make his line work just fine without Mikko. Drouin and Lehkonen are great linemates for him. The team would benefit so much if you had Mikko with Mittlestadt and Nichushkin. That would be a fearsome 2nd line. Mittelstadt needs the talent boost on his line.

Also, holy moly is Mackinnon ever good at the game of hockey. If I could be a quarter as good at anything in life I would be pleased.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm just quoting this for truth. MacK can make his line work just fine without Mikko. Drouin and Lehkonen are great linemates for him. The team would benefit so much if you had Mikko with Mittlestadt and Nichushkin. That would be a fearsome 2nd line. Mittelstadt needs the talent boost on his line.
Bednar should look around the league. Toronto just had Marner out for a stretch of time. During his absence, Matthews found chemistry with Bertuzzi and Domi as the 1st line. There was a big debate among Leaf fans whether they should break that up when Mitch returns, because Matthews and Marner have always been together for the last few years. A lot of people assumed that's what Sheldon Keefe was going to do. Well, he didn't. He put Marner on the 2nd line and dropped Nylander to 3rd. And they have played well still.

It's kinda annoying, that Bednar has seemed to become more stubborn as a coach, not willing to try out new things (not playing Annunen is another part of this). Bednar should know from our cup run that Mikko and MacK do fine on separate lines.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Also, holy moly is Mackinnon ever good at the game of hockey.
One of Mitt's biggest offensive weapons is his passing. Giving him two guys that can bury the biscuit, especially when one of them is a Nuke powered puck pursuit missile and the other has a cheat-code one-timer would be setting him up for a lot of point production.

Just a feeling but I think Nate and Mikko enjoy playing together to a degree that Bednar just doesn't want to rock the boat. I honestly believe that's why Rants has never been truly tried as a long-term center in the NHL. He'd be going from the best RW in the league to a pretty good to awesome 2nd line center. I do wonder though how much if any his production would drop by playing with Mitts instead of Nate. Especially if he was still getting 2 full minutes with Nate and Makar every PP.

The thought just occurred to me that if cleared to play in the playoffs Landy could have a hard time dislodging someone from the top six...mostly because he's better suited for the 3rd line than anyone other than maybe Lehky but Artturi is Clutch. Drury was clutch. Lehkonen is Clutch, with a capital 'C'. I don't think you keep that in the bottom six during the playoffs. The forwards will be STACKED.

Drouin-MacKinnon-Nichushkin
Lehkonen-Mittlestadt-Rantanen
Landeskog-Colton-Duhaime
Wood-Trenin-Cogliano/Parise

When playing well, that's a lot to ask another team to handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol at Bogosian on the first goal. Dude is trying so hard to make it look like he is defending a two on one because he saw his partner get absolutely eviscerated and said "f*** that noise*
I also enjoyed Faber pointing to his partner on goal two like f*** that you get him. And then Faber going controller disconnect on goal three and just casually skating back because he already knew they were f***ed.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
1. Sakic
2. MacKinnon
3. Makar
4. Roy
5. Forsberg
6. Skoula

1/2/3 are because we likely get entire careers out of these guys. Sakic also won 2 Cups, Gold medals, Hart trophies, etc. so he's #1 for me... for now.

We didn't get Roy and Forsberg for full careers otherwise they might be higher.

Skoula at #6 because his puck poise was just unmatched in not only Avs history but the NHL altogether.
Clearly you are missing someone.

1712764327467.png

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
The Drouin-Mack-Lehky line should be our top line in the playoffs. Keep 29/96 split until you're down late and need a goal. Landeskog on the 3rd line to ease him in once he decides to give it a go.

Drouin - Mack - Lehky
Nuke - Mitts - Rants
Duhaime - Colton - Landy
Wood - Trenin - Cogs/Parise
Kovalenko/Kivi

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If - big if - Landeskog does return it sure will be awkward to see who Bednar sits.

The pessimist in me thinks he'll sit Duhaime because he will give preference to the vets.

The optimist in me hopes he would sit Parise because right now of the regulars (lol f*** you Wagner you scrub you don't count) he is the worst forward of the bunch.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
The Drouin-Mack-Lehky line should be our top line in the playoffs. Keep 29/96 split until you're down late and need a goal. Landeskog on the 3rd line to ease him in once he decides to give it a go.

Drouin - Mack - Lehky
Nuke - Mitts - Rants
Duhaime - Colton - Landy
Wood - Trenin - Cogs/Parise
Kovalenko/Kivi

This seems like a clear path, but Bednar has only put this second line together for 14 minutes so far. Really a shame, because it feels like on paper, it could be special.

Or Nichushkin on the top line with Drou and MacK.

The 3rd line looked good last night without Wood. I wonder if they split Wood/Colton up when Woody returns.

Reactions: NateTheGreat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad