Rumor: Milbury would coach Bruins again

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
To hell with Torts too. I'd rather roll the dice on a Paul Maclean or Guy Boucher before i give that retread a call.

Or keep Clode. Maybe giving him a useful defenseman or 5 would help him out.

You can say what you want about the guy, but when Keenan was here, he had a crappy team, but almost got them into the playoffs. If he had a few more regular season games, he would have made it. He also pushed Jumbo Joe to play the best as a Bruin.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
We have the coach I want already in place. The Bs have a good solid core in place, who CJ has proven he can win with, but just need to figure out how to make the moves to add to it and stay under the cap. That can be done. Maybe not by Chia, but it can be done. While Milbury might have been a good coach in the past I cannot see him bringing anything better to the table than what we already have. Same with Torts, who I actually like quite a bit. Before a coaching change needs to be even considered the current coach needs to be given the horses he needs to compete. With the defensive lineup we currently have, combined with the holes in the forward lines, it's amazing we are doing as well as we are.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I want Torts so badly, this team needs a shock to the system and an attitude change. Torts is the man to do it. Good ole M******* to boot

I would stop following the team if he became coach. He's a fake and a phony tough guy. Can't stand the way he handles things.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
That's true. Would love to hear the reasoning for his complete 180 vs being a player.

I think it's just normal growth as a person. I loved fighting in the 60s,70s and 80s and as I aged I liked it less. I encourage fighting between real players during the course of a game but I discourage the staged or otherwise BS fighting.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Milbury is a blowhard, fraud, and a bunch of other words I can't post here. There are few people in hockey that I have less respect for.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Milbury would be an unmitigated disaster if he returned as coach.

Hiring him would be just another foolish move in a succession of foolilsh moves these past few years.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
i like Torts myself, but my issue with him is that he seems to have a short shelf life before his teams start getting sick of him. And it isn't just one team that has done this either...there is a pattern

I agree with you that Torts style does drive some teams up the wall ie Vancouver, but with the way this team is built with a vet core that has won a cup and with IMO Chia's reluctance to make an overhaul of the team. I think this group can respond well to Torts and succeed. Honestly the biggest problem of this team is not the personal, but the player's themselves. Players like Lucic, Hamilton, Chara and etc. need to look themselves in the mirror and release they are better than this crap (In Therrien voice)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Milbury was a good coach and hot as coal NHL property back then. He also preached the "turn the other cheek" on ice philosophy as a coach.

Amazing how few remember how he neutered the Bruins when he was here. As a coach he wasn't the tough guy he pretended to be with that drunk fan in New York. He was more of the punching bag he was on the ice.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Amazing how few remember how he neutered the Bruins when he was here. As a coach he wasn't the tough guy he pretended to be with that drunk fan in New York. He was more of the punching bag he was on the ice.

I know how abrasive he is and I wasn't a great fan of his disciplined approach (he didn't want Neely reacting to anything) but I thought he was a good coach. I think it was Janney that *****ed to him he needed protection in front of the net and Milbury told him FU,protect yourself!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know how abrasive he is and I wasn't a great fan of his disciplined approach (he didn't want Neely reacting to anything) but I thought he was a good coach. I think it was Janney that *****ed to him he needed protection in front of the net and Milbury told him FU,protect yourself!

I never really considered him to be a particularly good coach. He's well educated and articulate, but he coached in a way that was contrary to what I, and I would have thought, most Bruins fans would have wanted.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
NO THANKS.THAT GUY IS HORRIBLE.Plus he is arrogant .His way or no way.Watch interview with him about John Spano.Yes what Spano did with Islanders was wrong but he treated Milbury good regardless yet Milbury talks crap about him.Thats not type of person I trust to run a team.The only thing I give Milbury credit for it fighting Larry Robinson a couple times.Takes guts to do that.I never saw any player with my eyes in NHL that could take Larry.Man he could throw them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had season tickets when Milbury coached here and I'd grade him a A.

People may be confusing that with GM of Islanders.

As a coach with a GM he works with he'd probably be very effective

This came up because Milbury knows Chiarelli has one foot out the door and Claude is nearly as tenuous. Milbury coached Neely when he had great success.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I had a dream last night that I was watching the Bruins introduce their new coach (Milbury) and GM (Joe Haggerty)

Then the Bruins were playing a playoff game in Honolulu and Pierre McGuire asked Mike a question and Mike took off his shoe and killed him.

No more Chinese food for me after 10 PM

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Milbury as coach....it does sound like a Cinderella story but I personally do not think the "shoe" fits here anymore.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Milbury would be an awful choice as coach. Guy hasn't coached in over 20 years and has no idea how to win in today's NHL. He's a dinosaur of a coach, well past his prime and now enjoys the media spotlight way too much. Probably as bad a choice as Tortorella.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I had season tickets when Milbury coached here and I'd grade him a A.

People may be confusing that with GM of Islanders.

As a coach with a GM he works with he'd probably be very effective

This came up because Milbury knows Chiarelli has one foot out the door and Claude is nearly as tenuous. Milbury coached Neely when he had great success.

1 cup final and a 3rd round exit,not bad in 2 years. I have no idea what it means when people say a coach can't coach in this league anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad