Milano unique goal (GOTY candidate)

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Bro these "better" goals are mid as hell. Milano is clear. I don't think most people understand the composure, hand-eye and creativity required to pull this one off. Barkov's (not even a goal) is probably better but acting like this is a dime a dozen goal is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
For one, the play where barkov juggles the puck over a defender at speed to another guy for an easy goal. Maybe more about the pass but definitely more of a candidate than this one; a similar play with a higher degree of difficulty.

This is silly, of course it is hard to “name one” when you get put on the spot. This is a fun goal but nothing crazy. There are many more exciting goals scored every week.

You weren’t put on the spot, you can take all the time you want to think and respond, that’s how message boards work. Weird excuse.

Bro these "better" goals are mid as hell. Milano is clear. I don't think most people understand the composure, hand-eye and creativity required to pull this one off. Barkov's (not even a goal) is probably better but acting like this is a dime a dozen goal is crazy.

Ya, I think people just struggle to judge unique goals vs more conventional beauties. I know Byfield’s goal was like 3 or 4 top tier moves/reads, not sure where this is but I think I’d put it 2nd behind that. Hell of a quick little adaptation to the situation.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
You weren’t put on the spot, you can take all the time you want to think and respond, that’s how message boards work. Weird excuse.
I also immediately posted another one? It just isn’t weird for people to not be able to come up with something like that when you demand it.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't think it's a GOTY candidate but it was a very nice goal. Milano had a helluva game at just the right time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not super impressed but only because I've seen Milano do better tricks before. I see "Milano GOTY" and I expect something amazing. It's a cool play though.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, he has been known for puck juggling tricks since he was a kid.

Wow he even made a youtube vid when he was like 14.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Forgot about that Schaefer goal. Absolutely ridiculous.

Ya, that’s one I have no idea how to judge the skill level. He scoops the puck over the goalie at the last second, tracks the puck’s flight, and does a pretty simple redirect, but doing all that at game time is special. To me it just kinda showcases the immense talents these guys all have, given the right situation.

I also immediately posted another one? It just isn’t weird for people to not be able to come up with something like that when you demand it.

It’s just not what “on the spot” means, you could have literally ignored the dude or gone on YouTube to remind yourself of candidates, then posted. If there are hundreds of better goals recalling a few shouldn’t be too tough, personally I have the Byfield and this one in mind and little else.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
High skilled goal. Milano has shown this before. It’s perplexing how a guy with such a high skill set continues to bounce around the league. I know it’s likely his defensive game and work effort… it’s disappointing that someone can not get through to these types of players what they can really be with some adjustments in their game.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If there was a sweet camera angle of it, top-10 forsure. But the angle is pretty shitty and the play happens so fast that it looks sloppy, you can't really tell what he did. Slow-mo low angle from the glass, or from directly behind the net would have looked sick.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
High skilled goal. Milano has shown this before. It’s perplexing how a guy with such a high skill set continues to bounce around the league. I know it’s likely his defensive game and work effort… it’s disappointing that someone can not get through to these types of players what they can really be with some adjustments in their game.
Milano is actually a strong defensive play driver at 5v5 and plays a strong possession game. A team that would give him keys to being the guy on a 1PP unit would reap incredible rewards.

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Milano is actually a strong defensive play driver at 5v5 and plays a strong possession game. A team that would give him keys to being the guy on a 1PP unit would reap incredible rewards.
Thanks.

Admittedly, I haven’t watched many of his games or focused on his play specifically when watching games he’s playing in, but I definitely noticed that he’s creative offensively with the puck. I was being lazy and recall that was the consensus critique of his game.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Tough crowd.

I wonder if the naysayers watched the replay & are aware that Milano actually flipped it up off the ice himself making it airborne then tapped it over the goalie who had no chance.

Most player just shoot into the goalies pad & the announcer scream how he was robbed.

Reactions: ryan callahan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Tough crowd.

I wonder if the naysayers watched the replay & are aware that Milano actually flipped it up off the ice himself making it airborne then tapped it over the goalie who had no chance.

Most player just shoot into the goalies pad & the announcer scream how he was robbed.
This is the only thing I can understand. Like... swatting a puck is still fun but "dime a dozen" at this point when it's just a reflex but this was such a deliberate chip to himself, and then another controlled touch when he realized the goalie was dead in the water to score. If you're watching and not sure how the puck got airborne to begin with I could get how you'd think it was just an okay goal, but anybody who can see that Milano played that to himself should realize that's a bit of a different story.

For all the "better goals this week" you don't see that very often in a season, and I can't really think of another one quite like this.

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't think I've ever seen an intentional lob goal above the goalie in a hockey game, much less in a pro one.
Incredible goal by Milano, love to see this kind of stuff in the game.

My (very biased) favourite lob goal is from Daniel Sedin when he backhand lobbed it from the blue line over 2 players and the goalie.

But Sedin's goal was more deception whereas Milano just beat the goalie head-on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad