Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I really wouldn't expect Utah to be making these sort of cap dumping moves in their inaugural season. You only get one first impression with your new fanbase and creating dead capspace isn't a great look. They also already have too many draft picks as is. If anything I think they'll be trying to upgrade as their goal is likely playoffs.
They have $43M in cap space next year with no one of substance to resign other than Durzi. If they re-sign their current roster they are probably sitting with $25-30M in cap plus another almost $8M in space from Weber if they ever needed it. The next significant contract is in two years with Cooley. But two years later they lose $7.8M in dead space from the Weber deal so with the cap increase they would gain another $12-13M in cap space the year the buyout would hit it's max at $1.3M. Adding about $550k -1.3M in dead cap space for assets is not going to upset a fan base that probably has no idea how the cap works anyway.

The deal I suggested sends them Ceci who would be as good as any UFA RHD they could expect to sign for $3.25M. Their right side right now is Druzi, Kesselring and Josh Brown all of whom are free agents. He could easily replace Brown.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Foegele is fine , we just can't afford the luxury.
Bring back VD, Broberg and Henrique and we will be contending again

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Disagree. I think McDavid prioritises winning over all else. If Draisaitl goes to another team chances are close to zero that they can afford to sign McDavid as well anyways.
And if Draisaitl doesn't stay, I would expect us to use the capspace on another elite forward keeping us a contender.
McDavid has sp9ken a nu.bwe of times about this core,etc and them building something here. Losing i w of the top 4 guys in the NHL in Drai would be a HUGE deal for McDavid with Toronto (His home team) calling. Regardless of whether you agree or not it is truth that the best chance of McDavid staying is if the core remains here ans signed

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
McDavid has sp9ken a nu.bwe of times about this core,etc and them building something here. Losing i w of the top 4 guys in the NHL in Drai would be a HUGE deal for McDavid with Toronto (His home team) calling. Regardless of whether you agree or not it is truth that the best chance of McDavid staying is if the core remains here ans signed

And what exactly is the incentive of signing with Toronto over Edmonton minus Draisaitl?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Just curious, do the guys who get recalled get their names on the cup if the Oilers win or do they have to play a number of games?

"A player is required to have appeared in at least 41 regular-season games with a team, or one Stanley Cup Final game, to be eligible to have his name engraved on the trophy."

I hope Gagner can be on the Cup. I'd be so happy to see him on there.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
And what exactly is the incentive of signing with Toronto over Edmonton minus Draisaitl?
There will be a lot of changes in Toronto and to deny that you dont think there will be under the radar selling of what those changes are and how he will fit in then you are dismissing the obvious

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
"A player is required to have appeared in at least 41 regular-season games with a team, or one Stanley Cup Final game, to be eligible to have his name engraved on the trophy."

Thanks! I keep thinking it was one playoff game. I guess that's too easy to just rotate the 4th line guys lol

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There will be a lot of changes in Toronto and to deny that you dont think there will be under the radar selling of what those changes are and how he will fit in then you are dismissing the obvious

If he's dumb enough to be sold a bill of goods that an org that has been horribly mismanaged and an utter failure since 1967 is going to magically be better despite continuing mismanagement and idiotic ownership, then so be it. You could argue that he didn't want to be drafted here without changes (he got his wish), but he also technically didn't have a choice since it was drafting

There are about a dozen other orgs that would be a better choice than the hapless Leafs, if it came down to that.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
There was supposed to be meaningful changes for each of the last 3 playoff failures. Its cute that you believe it this time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

How does that work for woodcroft? His first few weeks mean anything

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Trade for Tnias Mathurin's rights immediately. He is a very solid LD prospect who likely opts for FA in Detroit.

He is shutting down a lot of big names in the OHL in these playoffs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just noting for the thread that at the trade deadline Mahe informed Holland that we were 28th for finishing in this League. Holland acknowledged it, then said well we need a RH Center for faceoffs.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Just noting for the thread that at the trade deadline Mahe informed Holland that we were 28th for finishing in this League. Holland acknowledged it, then said well we need a RH Center for faceoffs.

Well, they have players that can put it in the net. One 'sniper' acquisition wasn't going to change that vs "normalization of luck". Henrique was a good add in that he can shoot the puck and also isn't shy of going to the net (one of the most important things when games get tight in the playoffs IMO). Hopefully he's back soon, if not ready to go tonight

Reactions: McDoused and TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well, they have players that can put it in the net. One 'sniper' acquisition wasn't going to change that vs "normalization of luck". Henrique was a good add in that he can shoot the puck and also isn't shy of going to the net (one of the most important things when games get tight in the playoffs IMO). Hopefully he's back soon, if not ready to go tonight
We’ll see. The snipe from Rico was surprising in Game 1. But wasn’t much else there, not that I blame him, that’s just how playoff hockey goes sometimes. Hard to say what would have helped without seeing the additions. Ceci replacement included. But I do like Rico in that it’s an extremely low risk move, he’s a player that is smart enough to never hurt you, and can work throughout the line up. Snipers can be more hot/cold and come with more defensive warts in general. So I could see the argument for both.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This Drai leaving rumor is fake....right? Hockey News just ran a story on it.
Seems fake, he's just weighting his options, it's a big decision he has coming up. Money sure isn't the issue.

Interesting I was just hypothetically thinking some gets canned game 70 and the team wins the cup.
I think that happened the first year the Pens won the Cup. (Crosby era I mean)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Highly doubt there has been much discussion at all between the club and the agent.

Don't even technically have a GM for next year yet and it's the playoffs.

The guy also can't even sign a new contract at this point.

Reactions: McDoused

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
yes. It was based on a rumour that Georges Laraque said it, and Laraque denies saying anything of the sort.

What is confirmed is Draisaitl won't sign right away this summer, which makes sense, as we won't even have a GM at that point as Holland is a virtual lock to retire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad