Value of: Milan Lucic (salary retained)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
saddly i dont see him going only way i see him going is through expansion draft and were going to have to pay up for seattle to take him

Except Lucic has a NMC and would have to agree to waive it to be eligible for the expansion draft. Maybe he does it, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Louche is playing pretty good this year, I think at $3.5 ($2.5 retained) half the teams in the league would be interested and willing to offer a legitimate 4/5 D-man.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He might be the 6th best forward in Edmonton so far, but keep in mind that a) it's a small sample size and b) the Oilers is a garbage team. No team will take that horrible Lucic contract.
If you're talking sample size then you perhaps its best to conclude that last year was an outlier, rather than the start to this year.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
After July 1st of next year he is actually owed 4 mil per season for the rest of the contract, so at 1 mil retention. 3 mil in real money and 5 mil cap hit some low cap team may take him

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Except Lucic has a NMC and would have to agree to waive it to be eligible for the expansion draft. Maybe he does it, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Given Seattle is a short drive to his hometown, I think he's more likely to wave than what most believe. Also, as coopooter pointed out, his actual salary drops below his cap hit and there would likely be a limited market for him.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Interested in what the price for lucic would be if the oilers retained 1-1.5 M.

If we only retaining 1 million . Future consideration is good with me . Lucic has been playing decent this year . Points have not becoming yet but he back to being a physical beast which has value

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He might be the 6th best forward in Edmonton so far, but keep in mind that a) it's a small sample size and b) the Oilers is a garbage team. No team will take that horrible Lucic contract.

Must be a TML fans posting crap . Edmonton had the tough start in the NHL . a 20,000 Km road trip against some of the NHL best teams and came out at 500 . Do we call TML crap shut out by the Pens and a lost to the lowly Blues ? At least Edmonton took the pens to overtime . But hey let bash a team that been bad for 12 years and forget we been bad for 50 years

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
He's worth maybe half of his salary in the right role. He needs to prove he can at least get back to 50 pts a year before that though. Otherwise he's nothing more than a checking 3rd or 4th liner.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
After July 1st of next year he is actually owed 4 mil per season for the rest of the contract, so at 1 mil retention. 3 mil in real money and 5 mil cap hit some low cap team may take him

Not how it works . If we are retaining 1 million of his 4 million we are retaining 25% of the cap . So we are retaining 25% that is 1.5 million . The cap hit remains 6 million the dollar amounts don't matter when it comes to retention . If he had 1 year left at 1 million his cap hit is still 6 million and if he was traded and we retained 500.000 of that last 1 million that 50% of the cap hit so 3 million

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He's worth maybe half of his salary in the right role. He needs to prove he can at least get back to 50 pts a year before that though. Otherwise he's nothing more than a checking 3rd or 4th liner.

You don't sign a 50 point player to 3 million in today market . Plus Lucic brings more then most 50 points forwards . I think Lucic value today is about 4.5 million . He is owed 4.5 million for the rest of his contract so he is fair value . However teams that aren't cap floor teams are more concern about the cap hit then the money owed to him so 6 million would need a 25% retention on it making it 4.5 million with the acquiring team paying him 3,337,500 in real money

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
You don't sign a 50 point player to 3 million in today market . Plus Lucic brings more then most 50 points forwards . I think Lucic value today is about 4.5 million . He is owed 4.5 million for the rest of his contract so he is fair value . However teams that aren't cap floor teams are more concern about the cap hit then the money owed to him so 6 million would need a 25% retention on it making it 4.5 million with the acquiring team paying him 3,337,500 in real money
Lucic is no longer a 50 point player. You should not expect him to put up 50 points.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Interested in what the price for lucic would be if the oilers retained 1-1.5 M.
Hate to say it but even with 1.5 retained, you'll probably only get a cap dump back.
If you're looking to get rid of him without anything damaging coming back, you'll probably have to retain more than you'd like or add a juicy asset.

Reactions: Devonator

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think it is very likely he would waive if asked. He is at little risk of being picked given the success that Vegas had with going young. And if he did it would mean moving to Seattle which is a stones throw away from his home in Vancouver and on the west coast.

Lucic is a very loyal guy it seems and is pretty astute. I suspect he knows that protecting him could be a big issue for a club like the Oilers, or any other club he might be on. He gets his money one way or the other. In the long run if he wants to have the best chance to win waiving is the best strategy.

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
his agent said in no uncertain terms that the team had not asked him to waive his nmc. since he has a nmc this means the team was not trying to trade him

his agent said lucic did not ask for a trade... since he has a nmc this means the team wasn't trying to trade him

im sorry if it goes into the face of all the know-it-all home quarterbacks but if a player has a nmc and hasn't been asked to move it... hes not being moved

I mean by our bizzare logic connor McDavid hasn't been moved either. nobody took him either. maybe he will be the next Forsberg for erat trade lol...

we can go with your logic and take it to the idiot level or we can just trust his agent isn't lying and that no move was ever in discussion

Just because the team hasn't asked him to waive his NMC doesn't mean they haven't made him available, or listened to offers, it just means nothing worth while has materialized. Which is expected when dealing with an over paid, under performing player. If Chiarelli isn't trying to move him, he's an even worse GM than everyone thinks he is. The team is cap strapped, moving out $6M would make a world of difference, and could easily help bring in someone far more effective than Lucic.

Why would Lucic ask for a trade? He's not performing well enough to demand anything, he knows as well as anyone else that no team worth moving too would be willing to take him and that contract right now, so, even if he does want out of Edmonton, publicly stating that is only going to hurt him more.

You are right, in that he won't be moved so long as he hasn't been asked to waive, but please, since you know better than everyone else, tell me that Lucic would turn down the chance to go play in Pittsburgh, or Washington, or Nashville if they made Chiarelli an offer worth while... He's a professional athlete, which means he's a competitive guy, he wants to win.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Just because the team hasn't asked him to waive his NMC doesn't mean they haven't made him available, or listened to offers, it just means nothing worth while has materialized. Which is expected when dealing with an over paid, under performing player. If Chiarelli isn't trying to move him, he's an even worse GM than everyone thinks he is. The team is cap strapped, moving out $6M would make a world of difference, and could easily help bring in someone far more effective than Lucic.

Why would Lucic ask for a trade? He's not performing well enough to demand anything, he knows as well as anyone else that no team worth moving too would be willing to take him and that contract right now, so, even if he does want out of Edmonton, publicly stating that is only going to hurt him more.

You are right, in that he won't be moved so long as he hasn't been asked to waive, but please, since you know better than everyone else, tell me that Lucic would turn down the chance to go play in Pittsburgh, or Washington, or Nashville if they made Chiarelli an offer worth while... He's a professional athlete, which means he's a competitive guy, he wants to win.

for a couple years I posted trade lucic suggestions... hes a bad fit in Edmonton imho

then this summer a lot of rumors sprung up that he wanted out... that Edmonton was shopping him

so his agent made several explicit and deliberate statements to the media... in some of the most powerful language ive heard he said that lucic has never asked to move

he also strongly pointed out that lucic has a nmc and that the team has never once asked him to waive it

he then went on to say lucic will play with the oilers this year

now... I might have thought he should be moved... but when I hear his agent making these statements several times I have to accept reality

some of the rest of you can continue to cling to fantasies that hes going to be moved... but please understand you are living in fantasy land. its a nice place. I myself have been there many times. but lucic is not being shopped because he isn't waiving his nmc

the truth is lucic recently did an interview... he said his fathers death really made him a bit depressed and he had a hard time with his emotions last year {yes lucic plays by emotions and when hes feeling a bit down it will effect his ability to charge around like a bull. when lucic isn't playing with high emotions hes really not that good}

and yes lucic revealed his hand/wrist got hurt bad last year and he had to switch to a stick that didn't have as much flex. lucics shot isn't world class to begin with and the lower quality stick hurt.

the truth is lucic was having quite a decent season in late December last year. someone might say he suddenly sucked in a single day or if they were a bit smarter they might thing he got a nagging injury due to the style he plays... the depression hurt his confidence once things started to go bad... it was hard to break out of his slump with the stick and depression and whatever injury was slowing him down

the team fully expects these factors hurt him and he will bounce back. they aren't going to throw anything into trading him when hes a big part of their plans

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Call around and figure out who wants him, call Benning last, and be selectively honest about the aforementioned offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad