Player Discussion Milan Lucic (arrested Nov 18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
What is that supposed to mean?

There are alcohol sponsorships throughout all professional sports. The number of athletes that (publicly) struggle with alcohol abuse and/or domestic violence is negligible. Sometimes it really is mostly on the individual, not their environment/surroundings.

The fact that people are starting to shift gears and look to alcohol culture in the NHL as a potential root cause here is wild to me.
Because he was intoxicated during both domestic incidents.....its plays a role.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Because he was intoxicated during both domestic incidents.....its plays a role.

Yes…and that is the leagues/culture of the leagues fault how? As I said, it’s a personal issue and if there is alcoholism at play, that is a disease.

I’m not arguing that alcohol didn’t play into the domestic violence issue, I’m arguing that the alcohol use/abuse is not due to hockey culture.

There’s plenty of issues to look at with the culture of hockey, but this isn’t one, IMO.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Some like to be judge, jury snd executioner from their keyboard

thats why the topic was closed 3 times on the Main Board. Finally the site Admin added a comment and left the last one visible.

Like the kids say ‘FAFO’.

None of us know how this will play out. He will have his day in court. What his wife’s input there will have substantial bearing on that.

Booze? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we dont know if it is a habitual issue with him.

Also, if so, will Bruins help? The league has those resources and has for decades.

So, we will be flexible as possible to keep this topic fresh and open here but the contrarian shit just to get a rise or the flaming of each other wont be tolerated.

There are deleted examples within this thread. As well as deleted posters that we wont be seeing for awhile. If at all again.

So essentially like the Admin said on Mains- FAFO.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I think hockey culture is worse.....men play in a "Beer leagues".....drinking out of the Stanley cup and we idolize players going on monthly benders after winning the cup. Nevermind, junior hockey and college hockey and that drinking lifestyle. Alcohol is an issue in hockey. Just look behind the Bruins bench.
Right.............and other sports are different. Dream on.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
What is that supposed to mean?

There are alcohol sponsorships throughout all professional sports. The number of athletes that (publicly) struggle with alcohol abuse and/or domestic violence is negligible. Sometimes it really is mostly on the individual, not their environment/surroundings.

The fact that people are starting to shift gears and look to alcohol culture in the NHL as a potential root cause here is wild to me.
I didn't say it was the root. But it is part of the system that stretches much farther than this situation on it's own.

Openly criticizing that something that is part of the culture and business. Companies that sponsors this league as well as almost ever other professional sport. It was in my lifetime that tobacco ads used to be pretty common place, and I'm probably younger than some here. That changed.

Sure, its on the player to take responsibility and there are numerous other things going on, but the system doesn't exactly frown on things until it actually becomes an issue.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I didn't say it was the root. But it is part of the system that stretches much farther than this situation on it's own.

Openly criticizing that something that is part of the culture and business. Companies that sponsors this league as well as almost ever other professional sport. It was in my lifetime that tobacco ads used to be pretty common place, and I'm probably younger than some here. That changed.

Sure, its on the player to take responsibility, but the system doesn't exactly frown on things until it actually becomes an issue.
Yes. It’s impossible to separate. No one is an island.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Alcohol is an issue in life.

I hate being buzzed or hungover

I probably was more then 50 % till 25 and since then about as often as a Danton Heinen fight

Knowing a hangover awaits makes it awfully easy to switch to water

To bad others don’t feel same

I was a casual drinker into my 50s. It got to the point where I had two drinks and felt like crap the next day. So I stopped. I'm lucky I could, some can't. I dont envy them, it's a tough burden to carry, for them and their families.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Its an individual thing. Booze how much. How little.
Its not the league. Not the sport. Not the sponsors.

Its the individual.

Hell, this site is part of hockey culture. Over 100 regulars here all day every day. Many that have played since being able to walk to old man beer league.

Have some had issues with alcohol dependence? Yup.

But the overwhelming number here are not alcoholic, or , rage- aholics, yet here we are. Immersed in the culture.

Its an individual thing. The terrible thing. But responsibility is in the mirror.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Its an individual thing. Booze how much. How little.
Its not the league. Not the sport. Not the sponsors.

Its the individual.

Hell, this site is part of hockey culture. Over 100 regulars here all day every day. Many that have played since being able to walk to old man beer league.

Have some had issues with alcohol dependence? Yup.

But the overwhelming number here are not alcoholic, or , rage- aholics, yet here we are. Immersed in the culture.

Its an individual thing. The terrible thing. But responsibility is in the mirror.

Yup. I've been immersed in a gambling culture since I was 16. My sister races horses, I worked at a racetrack, even worked a window at the Preakness twice. Now I'm in the gambling business, I'm around it all day, every day. I’ve never once had the urge to gamble. Not even once, I just don't have the gene. If the culture is so influential, I should be in Vegas every week blowing my paycheck.

Also, I've seen gamblers who do it for fun and never have a problem. I've also seen guys on Christmas Eve that you know are blowing the gift money. Some can handle it, some can't. It not fair, but it's true.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad