Player Discussion Milan Lucic (arrested Nov 18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
That still doesn't sound good. Injuries, broken lamp...

Wonder why they say family member instead of wife?

Also what's the point in saying one of the officers shares a surname with Marchand? Do they think there's only one Marchand family in the world? :huh:
The Marchand remark was weird to me as well. Also, they said they took him up for clothes but in the mug shot he is shirtless. They also said red marks on the chest and that the victim said he didn't try to strangle them. I think the first report of choking was the 911 call? When do they release those calls or is it someone leaking that info?

Reactions: Mione134

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sure but support does not equal a roster spot. For me he needs to focus on life. Hockey is not what he needs. The team doesn’t need his distraction either.
Agreed but as it is with family members, we don't need distractions but it is what it is, which is heartbreaking for all involved. Their family will need help in some way IMO. I hope that they children weren't home for this.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The Marchand remark was weird to me as well. Also, they said they took him up for clothes but in the mug shot he is shirtless. They also said red marks on the chest and that the victim said he didn't try to strangle them. I think the first report of choking was the 911 call? When do they release those calls or is it someone leaking that info?
Yeah, the shirtless mug shot is weird. Maybe they took him up to get a shirt but he didn't want to put it on, and being the size he is and allegedly intoxicated, maybe they didn't want to force the issue? :dunno:

Reactions: caz16 and Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I find it a bit frustrating that we are all saying the right things for the most part but i feel we are s bit guilty here too. We loved lucic the fighter the hitter the hot head on the ice. Then when this behaviour surfaces off i we wash our hands of him. Im not advocating that what he did was ok but i think we should be a bit more conscious that he needs help. And that we may of helped create the problem.
Terry O'Reilly is a nice man who had no off ice issues, Shawn Thornton is as stand up a guy as you can find, most fighters/physical players don't bring issues off ice with them. There are exceptions, Bob Probert being at the top of the list but he was more self destructive than abusive.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Terry O'Reilly is a nice man who had no off ice issues, Shawn Thornton is as stand up a guy as you can find, most fighters/physical players don't bring issues off ice with them. There are exceptions, Bob Probert being at the top of the list but he was more self destructive than abusive.

Terry's off-ice hobby was going to antique stores, and he didn't like talking about his fights. He'd rather talk about anything else. A true renaissance man.

Reactions: NeelyDan

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Yes agreed. Not everyone turns violent. But like i said each individual handles this differently. Maybe its just me but im feeling a bit guilty. Maybe loving the on ice violence might of contributed to this

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yes agreed. Not everyone turns violent. But like i said each individual handles this differently. Maybe its just me but im feeling a bit guilty. Maybe loving the on ice violence might of contributed to this
I understand where you are coming from but if this is the case every Football fan should all be in therapy for guilt. Hockey, football, boxing, MMA all can be very violent but not all of those athletes are domestic abusers or alcoholics. Baseball and Soccer are pretty mellow and have a number of domestic abusers in those sports

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Terry's off-ice hobby was going to antique stores, and he didn't like talking about his fights. He'd rather talk about anything else. A true renaissance man.
He wouldn't sign autographs on fight pictures for a long time at shows. Finally relented when he and Dave Schultz had a dual signing. My first autograph of his is in pre game warm ups, second is a scrap with Nilan.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not everyone is the same thought. Concussions maybe part of the problem here. We dont know. My point was to not be surprised that violence off the ice may occur for certain people and that we as fans love the violence on ice but expect a perfect player off it.

If you like the rough stuff, there's enough complicity to go around.

I've never heard anything about Lucic per concussions.

Reactions: lopey

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Without any hard data about the prevalence of off-ice violence for hockey tough guys vs. the general public, I would hesitate to make anything of the anecdotal evidence besides a call for more studies.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
There is no excuse for domestic violence.

But as a Bruins fan and a Milan fan, I am concerned with "helping" Lucic with a God damn thing right now. I care about him and the wellbeing of his family.

This is not Bobby Hull (whom I loved as a player and couldn't help but like a bit as person) we're talking about.

This is not Mitchell Miller.

This is not Jared Remy.

It's Looch, and I believe in him.

Milan can, and I think will, choose to address the issue and get the help he needs.

How much can you really say you know a professional athelete? These guys are trained as teenagers(if they are a hotshot prospect) on PR and how to protect their image. The things they say and do in the public light don't always reflect who they are behind closed doors.

There are numerous examples of celebrities who were thought of as good people, salt of the earth yet disgusting things were being done in their personal life.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Marchand part is strange and probably nothing more than a lack of proofreading on the editor's part. There wa no need to name the officers involved.

It does not shock me that the information that was leaked this weekend was vague and full of half truths. This is what happens when people report things they hear on the scanner or second hand from a buddy on the force.

If Looch decides to fight this, there's no doubt his lawyers will ba all over the leaks.

Reactions: hrdpuk

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He wouldn't sign autographs on fight pictures for a long time at shows. Finally relented when he and Dave Schultz had a dual signing. My first autograph of his is in pre game warm ups, second is a scrap with Nilan.

He didn't like the nickname "Taz" either. I wasn't in Boston during the Lunch Pail AC days, but from what I gather, Terry basically willed himself to be a solid hockey player, not merely a fighter. I admire that a great deal.

And, I'll cop to having this picture on the wall,

1700509002813.png

And this one,

1700509047047.png

I'll also cop to loving the whole Rangers "fighting with fans in the stands" thing. It was hilarious and very much in keeping with the era in general and Bruins "DNA" in particular.

FWIW, knowing what I know now about CTE, I'm not a fan of fighting these days. Clean, hard hits? Always and forever. The rough stuff, the scrums, the antipathy rivalries create, and yes, physical intimidation remain a big part of why I love the game as much as I do.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I mean this would actually be extremely ordinary for cases of domestic violence. Victims try to protect their abusers all the time, whether it be out of fear or love it happen a lot. Looch's wife calling the police while telling them that he tried to choke her, and then changing her story when the police arrive to make what happened seem less severe wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The Marchand part is strange and probably nothing more than a lack of proofreading on the editor's part. There wa no need to name the officers involved.

It does not shock me that the information that was leaked this weekend was vague and full of half truths. This is what happens when people report things they hear on the scanner or second hand from a buddy on the force.

If Looch decides to fight this, there's no doubt his lawyers will ba all over the leaks.

When you say fight, what do you mean? If he is sentenced?

I hope it doesn't come to that, and unless something even more egregious emerges, suspect an admission of guilt, genuine remorse, and court ordered treatment of whatever kind.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
When you say fight, what do you mean? If he is sentenced?

I hope it doesn't come to that, and unless something even more egregious emerges, suspect an admission of guilt, genuine remorse, and court ordered treatment of whatever kind.
If he decides to plead not guilty and take this to trial.

I honestly don't think it will go to trial but you never know.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
If he decides to plead not guilty and take this to trial.

I honestly don't think it will go to trial but you never know.
Almost no one pleads guilty at an arraignment. This will either go to trial (unlikely), plea out to something involving anger management or counseling, or the charges will be dropped.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There could be a lot of contributing factors, brain trauma, alcohol use, mental health & psychological trauma and whatnot. A lot we could never really know, and in the end speculating on that it is starting to feel like us playing mental gymnastics to try to lighten the culpability for one of our favorite players and let him off the hook a little bit. Like it's not really him, it's the bottle that did it, or the CTE, or depression, etc.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I mean this would actually be extremely ordinary for cases of domestic violence. Victims try to protect their abusers all the time, whether it be out of fear or love it happen a lot. Looch's wife calling the police while telling them that he tried to choke her, and then changing her story when the police arrive to make what happened seem less severe wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all.
Yes, I agree about the victim changing the story. I just wondered more about the 911 call and how that information was released and how accurate it is.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah, the shirtless mug shot is weird. Maybe they took him up to get a shirt but he didn't want to put it on, and being the size he is and allegedly intoxicated, maybe they didn't want to force the issue? :dunno:

That mug shot was disturbing and dispiriting. I hope it marks the nadir of this story and with work, better days are ahead for all concerned.

He, like so many former fighters, was also addled by CTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad