Speculation: Mikko Rantanen will join Patrik Laine in SC Bern until NHL contract is signed

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There's no cap but each team is only allowed 6 import players (non-Swiss).
Six at a time, or six altogether throughout the season? Like, if one imported player busts, can you cut him and replace him with another? Or are you now stuck with only 5 spots?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Would they instantly become 1st line wingers for Bern if they joined the team for the season? Who are the current top line wingers?

The answer to the bolded is no one anywhere near as good as Rantanen and Laine.

But really, they'd have to be completely crazy to sign in Switzerland.

When Matthews played in the NLA his salary was (credibly) rumored to be 500k.

And even if Rantanen and Laine are established NHLers (Matthews was still a prospect) I cannot imagine Bern going much over the 500k number because they'd be signing both.

While there is no cap in the NLA there is a tight control on how much teams are allowed to spend over their revenue (i.e. investment) and I cannot imagine them flirting with trouble in that dimension over Rantanen and Laine.

And I mean, I'm not even certain Bern would give them NHL out clauses. Bern is a venerable club and averages 15k+ spectators a game. They don't need these guys as a publicity stunt. What matters to Bern is winning championships and if Rantanen and Laine aren't going to be there for the playoffs, what use are they really?

I think this should be viewed for what it is: A place Rantanen and Laine can train with a coach they respect (and in a pretty nice city) until things get sorted with the NHL. If they were looking for leverage they'd be much, much, better off looking to the KHL.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Suomi-days aspect is interesting.

For almost every other country, I don't think they'd have any issues until they hit 90 days though.

Like, 90 days is the limit of being classified as a tourist within the Schengen zone and, as they aren't signing any contract(s), playing games, etc. they're just tourists as long as they're training with a team.
If they are citizens they can't be classified as tourists.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Six at a time, or six altogether throughout the season? Like, if one imported player busts, can you cut him and replace him with another? Or are you now stuck with only 5 spots?

It is either on the roster or dressed. I'm not certain at the moment because this season the number got expanded from 4 to 6. The old rule was 4 in the lineup, but in moving to 6 they may have changed it to a roster limit rather than a lineup limit.

But in either case, they don't burn a slot if a guy leaves.

But they heavily emphasis players that will stay because of the opportunity cost. Sure they may have a few weeks, or even months, of Rantanen and Laine. But the once they're gone, the available imports will be pretty slim pickings. And especially for Bern that is a big issue because the only thing they really care about is the playoffs. They have a solid core of Swiss, so they'll always be contending. It is just about having the right roster come playoff time.

Reactions: SotasicA

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
If they are citizens they can't be classified as tourists.

Ah, I think there may have been a misunderstanding of other.

I meant, for a Finnish citizen, they can go to any other country within Schengen for 90 days and unless they declare otherwise, they're just assumed to be a tourist.

Unless you are referring to dual Finnish-XXXX citizens.

Reactions: SotasicA

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Would they instantly become 1st line wingers for Bern if they joined the team for the season? Who are the current top line wingers?
Dude, Rantanen scored 87 points last season (was on pace for 100+ before slowing down in February), and 14 points in 12 playoffs games. He would be the King of Europe with that performance :D

Reactions: 63 others

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I meant, for a Finnish citizen, they can go to any other country within Schengen for 90 days and unless they declare otherwise, they're just assumed to be a tourist.
There is no real time limit among EU and EEA citizens. You can freely move to any EU/EEA (Switzerland) country and all you need to do is just to register in that country if you spend more than 90 days. It is just a formality like changing your address when moving to another house. You will provide your passport and your work certificate (from SC Bern, in this case) and that's it.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Just for fun, here's my speculation from the other thread:

Certainly Colorado will prefer Rantanen over Laine, and Rantanen will get at least 8 M, so there is a theoretical chance [NB: Colorado has 15,6 million in cap space] they get Laine. He trains with Rantanen in the summertime, so he might give Colorado a pinch of team-friendliness. Perhaps Rantanen for 9M + Laine for 6,5M? But Colorado would have to give 4 1st round picks, unless they trade for both a 2nd and 3rd pick in 2020.
I'll give it: 10 % odds

Reactions: behemolari

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

Certainly Colorado will prefer Rantanen over Laine, and Rantanen will get at least 8 M, so there is a theoretical chance [NB: Colorado has 15,6 million in cap space] they get Laine. He trains with Rantanen in the summertime, so he might give Colorado a pinch of team-friendliness. Perhaps Rantanen for 9M + Laine for 6,5M? But Colorado would have to give 4 1st round picks, unless they trade for both a 2nd and 3rd pick in 2020.
Nah, Sakic is way too passive for that. Also Avs are going to need ELC contracts like crazy very soon, and they can't draft talent outside of the 1&2nd rounds.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
There is no real time limit among EU and EEA citizens. You can freely move to any EU/EEA (Switzerland) country and all you need to do is just to register in that country if you spend more than 90 days. It is just a formality like changing your address when moving to another house. You will provide your passport and your work certificate (from SC Bern, in this case) and that's it.

Yes, certainly.

But if you follow the conversation we were having it was primarily concerning residence and taxation.

When you register you establish legal residence. When you establish residence you create a mess of legal and tax issues. Particularly in CH this can take some sorting out because how it deals with worldwide income.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

I thought same, how about offer Laine 7 x 10 and Rantanen two years bridge

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Irrelevant. Staying in Finland longer means you have to pay income tax because you then count as a resident.

Ulkomaantyöskentelyn verotus

Canada is in the 12 months list. Staying 6 days per 1 month is tax free, anything over that and you have to declare your 2019 income. They will then take a piece of it as if you were a resident during your stay. If you work or not is irrelevant. You have to keep track of your "Suomi-days" at all times.

EDIT: better link and much easier to grasp Kansainvälinen verotus

You have read it a bit wrong. Pretty much all of the NHL players spend more tha 2,5 months per year in Finland. The actual limit is 6 months continously in Finland. (183days)

If you work for more than 6months in a row in Canada during any 12 month period, you don't have to pay the taxes from Canadian income to Finland - and you can even stay 6days per month in Finland "during your Canada work-trip", and it still counts as continous work.

Laine has been here since end of april, if he'd stay until late October etc, he'd have to pay taxes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad