Speculation: Mikko Rantanen will join Patrik Laine in SC Bern until NHL contract is signed

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Can Bern afford to even sign them if it comes to that?

There's no cap but each team is only allowed 6 import players (non-Swiss). I cannot see them spending import spots on players unlikely to play the season.

Right now they're just participating in practices because they know and like Jalonen. I cannot imagine them considering Bern as an actual option.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Is it just me or why wouldn’t they join their fin teams?
They have to pay their prorated yearly income tax to Finland if they spend more than 2.5 months in the country during the year. Finnish income tax is higher than USA/Canada so even if they get 2.5 months worth of taxes back from Colorado/Manitoba, they will end up losing a lot.

Also the reason Jussi Jokinen "couldn't" play in the Finnish league in the fall after his NHL career ended.

Switzerland is perfect for evading taxes.

olop

Jan 28, 2012
I could be wrong but I think the head coach is the coach of the Finnish national team.

Different Coach Jalonen. Kari Jalonen is a former NT coach. I'd guess the reason for going to Switzerland is taxes?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
They have to pay their prorated yearly income tax to Finland if they spend more than 2.5 months in the country during the year. Finnish income tax is higher than USA/Canada so even if they get 2.5 months worth of taxes back from Colorado/Manitoba, they will end up losing a lot.

Also the reason Jussi Jokinen "couldn't" play in the Finnish league in the fall after his NHL career ended.

Switzerland is perfect for evading taxes.

To be clear, as of right now there has been absolutely no mention of either actually suiting up for Bern.

They are just practicing with the team.

Reactions: Stubu

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
To be clear, as of right now there has been absolutely no mention of either actually suiting up for Bern.

They are just practicing with the team.
Irrelevant. Staying in Finland longer means you have to pay income tax because you then count as a resident.

Ulkomaantyöskentelyn verotus

Canada is in the 12 months list. Staying 6 days per 1 month is tax free, anything over that and you have to declare your 2019 income. They will then take a piece of it as if you were a resident during your stay. If you work or not is irrelevant. You have to keep track of your "Suomi-days" at all times.

EDIT: better link and much easier to grasp Kansainvälinen verotus

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
AVs should just give the kid 10 x 7. yeah yeah its more than Mackinnon, but they signed him when he was averaging like 50pts/year. 16 total between rant/mack....is pretty good

Reactions: Nifty Willy

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Irrelevant. Staying in Finland longer means you have to pay income tax because you then count as a resident.

Ulkomaantyöskentelyn verotus

Canada is in the 12 months list. Staying 6 days per 1 month is tax free, anything over that and you have to declare your 2019 income. They will then take a piece of it as if you were a resident during your stay. If you work or not is irrelevant. You have to keep track of your "Suomi-days" at all times.

EDIT: better link and much easier to grasp Kansainvälinen verotus

He wasn't in Finland though. He was training in Norway.

Edit: Yes, sorry. I see the post you originally replied to. But I think you are reading too much into the Swiss aspect of it. Everywhere is the same to him as long as it isn't Finland. And anywhere within Schengen will be super easy for him.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He wasn't in Finland though. He was training in Norway.
Good point. He went there a few weeks ago, so it's possible he has a few Suomi-days saved (can't imagine too many), and I guess he definitely could have stayed longer in Norway (no idea how tax things go there). But at least Switzerland has better hockey than Norway.

I was thinking Pat Laine anyway. And how Finnish players generally can't stay in the country too long after playing in the spring.

Reactions: almostawake

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
There's no cap but each team is only allowed 6 import players (non-Swiss). I cannot see them spending import spots on players unlikely to play the season.

Right now they're just participating in practices because they know and like Jalonen. I cannot imagine them considering Bern as an actual option.
Would they instantly become 1st line wingers for Bern if they joined the team for the season? Who are the current top line wingers?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Good point. He went there a few weeks ago, so it's possible he has a few Suomi-days saved (can't imagine too many), and I guess he definitely could have stayed longer in Norway (no idea how tax things go there). But at least Switzerland has better hockey than Norway.

I was thinking Pat Laine anyway. And how Finnish players generally can't stay in the country too long after playing in the spring.

The Suomi-days aspect is interesting.

For almost every other country, I don't think they'd have any issues until they hit 90 days though.

Like, 90 days is the limit of being classified as a tourist within the Schengen zone and, as they aren't signing any contract(s), playing games, etc. they're just tourists as long as they're training with a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad