Prospect Info: Mikko Rantanen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
I think it's part of Canadian culture, to be honest. Sure, people outside of Canada love the tournament too but it's a tradition in a lot of Canadian households to watch the tournament while spending time with family for the holidays.

That's how it was for me and how it is for a lot of Canadians. It helps that we've always had in your face coverage of the tournament, too, on a network like TSN.

This is exactly the case for me. I can't even hear the wjc theme without thinking about Christmas. It's absolutely become a holiday tradition for me and, I think, many Canadians.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rantanen got his nightly point, a PP goal on a hefty one timer. Games not over yet tho.

This is really great for him, and it's why IMO he should spend the whole year in SA. Get him used to putting up points every night. He didn't have that in Finland last year, and he likely wouldn't produce near that rate in the NHL this year.

Sometimes I think that might be a detriment mentally to some of these guys across the pond playing in lesser roles in more defensive leagues against men, but have the talent to be capable of putting up close to ppg numbers against their peers. This experience can let Mikko know he's capable of playing a scoring role, not just a solid complementary role in the top 6.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
So, when is Noreau going to get his chance with the big club? He can't be worse than Guenin?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
http://thehockeywriters.com/finland-announces-world-junior-selection-camp-roster/

Looks like this article was posted just today, not sure if its been posted anywhere around here yet?

Rantanen will join Team Finland on December 21st after San Antonio's game.

Looks like Finland will be the team I cheer for in the Juniors this year! :yo:

Thats damn good news. I usually cheer for Sweden and Canada in this tourney but damn I gotta cheer for Rantanen and the Finns. Sorry Sweden.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I hope Canada destroys everybody, but Avs players do well. Don't care about their actual teams.

I'm like this for any tournament. Best example were the Foppa days. Would love watching him with Sweden and always hoped he did well, but I couldn't have cared any less if Sweden won or lost.

The only team I care about is Canada.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hope Canada destroys everybody, but Avs players do well. Don't care about their actual teams.

I'm like this for any tournament. Best example were the Foppa days. Would love watching him with Sweden and always hoped he did well, but I couldn't have cared any less if Sweden won or lost.

This is how I feel as well. Even if Canada are eliminated early and Rantanen's boys are playing someone else in the ship I really wont care if he wins or loses. I'll just want to see him score some points.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I hope Finland wins it all, some championship game experience can only be good for him. Points are good but winning means something too. And down with Canada and how they've let our boys down. I hope the US does well but I don't care if they win anything.

Interesting that article says Kapanen will come to the camp but Rantanen won't until the Rampage are done before Christmas. With how reluctant Toronto was to let their guys go that's a bit of a surprise. Also wonder if it's Rantanen's choice to go on the road trip with the boys.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I used to be like you but in 1991 for the Canada Cup Team Canada decides to select Dirk Graham and cut Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman and it ended for me there. Dirk ****ing Graham??? What a ****ing joke!!! That was 1991 and it still pisses me off to this day!

So I still cheer for Canada (like in 2002 when they had Sakic) but if there are significant Avs on other teams, I'll usually cheer for them instead unless it's even Avs on either side. (If there are no Avs on either side, I'll cheer for Canada)

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Interesting that article says Kapanen will come to the camp but Rantanen won't until the Rampage are done before Christmas. With how reluctant Toronto was to let their guys go that's a bit of a surprise. Also wonder if it's Rantanen's choice to go on the road trip with the boys.

I don't know what Rantanen's own opinion was but the Finnish head coach said that he'd have wanted Mikko to the camp but Sakic very strictly demanded him to play with Rampage until Christmas break.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know what Rantanen's own opinion was but the Finnish head coach said that he'd have wanted Mikko to the camp but Sakic very strictly demanded him to play with Rampage until Christmas break.

Ah I didn't know that. You have a link for that?

I think I found it actually, translation is pretty rough but I think I get the gist.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2015120720794535_jk.shtml

I don't mind it, he's a big part of the team and they need him but its good they are letting him play the WJC too.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I used to be like you but in 1991 for the Canada Cup Team Canada decides to select Dirk Graham and cut Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman and it ended for me there. Dirk ****ing Graham??? What a ****ing joke!!! That was 1991 and it still pisses me off to this day!

So I still cheer for Canada (like in 2002 when they had Sakic) but if there are significant Avs on other teams, I'll usually cheer for them instead unless it's even Avs on either side. (If there are no Avs on either side, I'll cheer for Canada)

This is exactly how I am. If Canada doesn't have any Avs players and other countries do, I cheer for those countries over Canada. If Canada has an Avs player I will cheer for them.

If no Avs players are in the tournament, I'll cheer for Canada but really wouldn't care to much for the tournament, other then the rivalry games(CAN/USA) and Gold Medal game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Seems like a good compromise IMO.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ah I didn't know that. You have a link for that?

I think I found it actually, translation is pretty rough but I think I get the gist.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2015120720794535_jk.shtml

I don't mind it, he's a big part of the team and they need him but its good they are letting him play the WJC too.

it says rantanen will play the game with rampage on dec 25th, and then is free to join team finland. there is game the following day.

it also says that only complication is possible NHL callup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There must be something weird there... the Rampage play on the 21st and not again until the 26th. I doubt the Avs are requiring Rantanen to be here on the 26th, so I'd guess he will be there after the game on the 21st.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That must be a bit of a typo, their last game is the 21st until after Christmas. Maybe they don't expect him to arrive until the 25th. He already said he's leaving after the Iowa game on the 21st.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah but it does say that rantanen will play in AHL 25th dec and there is also the same quote from the coach.

i guess typo is possible.

edit. yeah, looks like mistake from the paper (shocking, finns know what i'n talking about). another link says rantanen plays the game 21st and then will come over (if not in NHL).

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Rantanen is much better than he seemed last year before the WJC. 2 more goals today. Dude is on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad