Prospect Info: Mikko Rantanen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the same as well. Even though the compete level isn't as high there's still the international media attention and home crowd to consider -- It'll likely be a trip that he can appreciate having been to down the line. It's not like Rantanen needs to adhere to a super strict training routine to have any hope of surviving a professional hockey career, I'm quite sure he can afford to take a couple weeks "off" without damaging his ultimate potential (referring to the Marlies rumors).

What's this, are they saying it's going to ruin Nylander's development? :laugh:

I expect Mikko to do very well but I'm not expecting just total domination either. It's like when NHL guys go back to junior they think they can just take over and it's not like that and then they even struggle. The WJC is still the best competition in the world at that age group, highly competitive and pressure especially for Finland after their showing last year and being the host. It will be good for him. He'll miss 5 AHL games, it's not going to ruin his development. If anything I think could refresh him after being able to visit home and hopefully enjoy some success to bring back with him. And as someone said, Joe and Patty value big game experience. If he gets to play for a medal I think that's going to do more for development than playing against Texas for the 10th time.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I personally love the World Juniors. Just feels like hockey tradition to me. Hope Rants goes and does well even though I will be cheering for the Yanks.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
What's this, are they saying it's going to ruin Nylander's development? :laugh:

I expect Mikko to do very well but I'm not expecting just total domination either. It's like when NHL guys go back to junior they think they can just take over and it's not like that and then they even struggle. The WJC is still the best competition in the world at that age group, highly competitive and pressure especially for Finland after their showing last year and being the host. It will be good for him. He'll miss 5 AHL games, it's not going to ruin his development. If anything I think could refresh him after being able to visit home and hopefully enjoy some success to bring back with him. And as someone said, Joe and Patty value big game experience. If he gets to play for a medal I think that's going to do more for development than playing against Texas for the 10th time.

Couldn't agree more with everything you posted.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bob only cares about reporting on Nylander and Kapanen but basically he said there actually is part of their contract in the a European assignment clause that can't prevent them from going to the a WJC if they aren't in the NHL. So that matches what Finland's coach was saying.

i think it's ridiculous whem teams want to prevent players from going to WJCs if they are in AHL.

NHL, it's surely understandable (well most of the time; draisaitl last year).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm slowly turning into something big for my family. After my sister and I, I think my mother is the 3rd biggest fan of the tournament.

WJC seems to have always been huge in every Canadian household. My brother introduced me when Harold Druken played in 98 or 99 because they played a lot of hockey together. It really took off though when a close family friend captained team Canada in Halifax in 03.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wow, that's crazy. Do you all watch it together? Nobody here even knows what it is. I seriously couldn't even talk to one person about it outside this board.

Boxing day and NYE we watch it all together. The other games we do it on our own time. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters all of which are much older than me. They all have their own spouses and children now so Christmas isn't the same as it used to be as they all do their own thing but since we're all still around each other on those two days all the men in the family watch it together.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I've been watching some of the WJC for the last four years or so but it's really small here too (growing though). Way smaller than the WC. For me the value of the World Championships is going down but the general public though... not so much.

I do like watching random national team games all day during the WC though.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Wow, that's crazy. Do you all watch it together? Nobody here even knows what it is. I seriously couldn't even talk to one person about it outside this board.

I knew it wasn't huge in the states but people really care that little? That's surprising. In my town every game there's a viewing party and its all anybody talks about. Even when the games were in being played in the middle of the night we would always pull all nighters to watch it's my absolute favourite hockey to watch.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I knew it wasn't huge in the states but people really care that little? That's surprising. In my town every game there's a viewing party and its all anybody talks about. Even when the games were in being played in the middle of the night we would always pull all nighters to watch it's my absolute favourite hockey to watch.

Nobody knows what it is, nobody has heard of it. I'm not kidding. The Olympics get some mention, the World Cup might, we'll see. But the WJC and WC don't exist here. There's also this attitude that of it's not pro hockey then who cares, it's a waste of time.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Even if it is pro hockey, who cares, it's a waste of time. And money.

Not my attitude, but very prevalent around here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you are in Minnesota, Michigan, or New England people watch it... go outside those areas, almost nobody has a clue.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The last I'll say about this is the tournament isn't important to me as an American. I wouldn't know about it nor care about it if I wasn't deeply involved in the Avalanche. I can't really root against the USA but I much more care about our guys and how they do, I'd prefer that Finland wins.

Really TV? of all the posters on here i figured you'd be more into the WJC since you seem to know about prospects and stuff.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Really TV? of all the posters on here i figured you'd be more into the WJC since you seem to know about prospects and stuff.

I of course care about the tournament, I meant I don't really care all that much about the US winning. It's not a patriotic thing since Americans or at least the ones in Colorado dont even know it exists. I'll never be against the US but it means 1000x more to me to see Rantanen have success.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I personally don't care for the WJC's all that much. Maybe it has to do with the amount of hype any prospect will get if they do half decent in the tournament. I just remember a lot of guys who had big tournaments and just flamed out and became nothing. People take this small sample size of games and make it out to be more than what it should be, especially since a good chunk of the games are blowouts against countries that don't have a lot of talent.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I personally don't care for the WJC's all that much. Maybe it has to do with the amount of hype any prospect will get if they do half decent in the tournament. I just remember a lot of guys who had big tournaments and just flamed out and became nothing. People take this small sample size of games and make it out to be more than what it should be, especially since a good chunk of the games are blowouts against countries that don't have a lot of talent.

Rantanen was that guy for me in the WJCs last year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
WJC is awesome some of the best hockey you'll see this year will come out of that tourney. Considering the avs have been **** the majority of the past years, it's also one of the few times I can actually enjoy just watching hockey.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I think it's part of Canadian culture, to be honest. Sure, people outside of Canada love the tournament too but it's a tradition in a lot of Canadian households to watch the tournament while spending time with family for the holidays.

That's how it was for me and how it is for a lot of Canadians. It helps that we've always had in your face coverage of the tournament, too, on a network like TSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad