Player Discussion Mikko Koskinen

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I think most knowledgeable fans were leery about signing a KHL star after previous failures. Fortunately it worked this time.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I didn't watch the game, but I watched the highlights twice and to be honest it didn't look like Koskinen had such a bad game. It just wasn't as good as what we're used to seeing from him, partly because there was less need for the highlight saves.

Only the 2nd goal was something he should've got. It maybe looked worse than it was as it always does when a puck goes to the net like that, but it was still something Koskinen doesn't usually let in. And something Talbot would get the blame for.

The 3rd one he maybe could've got some other day, but it was a really good wrister from a great spot. If this is the worst we've seen from him that's not too bad at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: CornKicker

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
If Kostco keeps this Vezina level up what do you think we sign him for? I’m thinking $2x3 or $1.75x3, maybe a $2.5x1 show me deal. Regardless, Chia needs to lock him in so it’s not a distraction deep into the playoffs.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
If Kostco keeps this Vezina level up what do you think we sign him for? I’m thinking $2x3 or $1.75x3, maybe a $2.5x1 show me deal. Regardless, Chia needs to lock him in so it’s not a distraction deep into the playoffs.

He's making 2.5 right now and that was before he did what he's done so far. Those numbers you are proposing sound great as an Oiler fan but I think 3.5+ per year will be the starting point. If he continues his solid play I don't see him taking anything less than 3.5 and he will get it somewhere.

If they are sold on him I honestly see him signing a 3 year 12 mil contract.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
He's making 2.5 right now and that was before he did what he's done so far. Those numbers you are proposing sound great as an Oiler fan but I think 3.5+ per year will be the starting point. If he continues his solid play I don't see him taking anything less than 3.5 and he will get it somewhere.

If they are sold on him I honestly see him signing a 3 year 12 mil contract.

Oops, I thought he was getting league minimum coming from the KHL. $3.5 is high but might be worth it if he keeps it up. Sorry, when he keeps it up!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think most knowledgeable fans were leery about signing a KHL star after previous failures. Fortunately it worked this time.
The problem that "other knowledgeable" fans who had seen his play was more to the point of give the guy a chance. That never meant that we thought he was a slam dunk (well a few did think that, not me).

There was the "Oilers cannot do anything right"-crowd who called him Nilsson/Gustafsson and the "stats/youtube watchers" who were screaming for Francouz. If anyone got a bit ticked off at that I fully understand them.

Edit: to be clear, I think Francouz could be a bargain for COL, but despite some (dodgy) numbers Koskinen was quite easily the better keeper when they played in KHL.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Needs more games.

Talbots won 2 of his last 10 games, how is he even getting starts?
If you run Koskinen down we'll end up with nothing come Feb (maybe even Jan)

Last two seasons he's been at 30-40 reg season games (including national team) and the a full, long, playoff run in which I think he played every game

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If you run Koskinen down we'll end up with nothing come Feb (maybe even Jan)

Last two seasons he's been at 30-40 reg season games (including national team) and the a full, long, playoff run in which I think he played every game
When your backup loses 8 out of 10 you have to overwork your starter. Otherwise your season is done anyways.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
When your backup loses 8 out of 10 you have to overwork your starter. Otherwise your season is done anyways.
No you don't. Not if you want to keep playing in April. The season is not on the line right now, no matter what you've read in the GDT/PGTs...

Talbot has 2 W 2 L 1 OT under Hitchcock and is just short of 91 in SV%. Perfectly fine all things considering.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No you don't. Not if you want to keep playing in April. The season is not on the line right now, no matter what you've read in the GDT/PGTs...

Talbot has 2 W 2 L 1 OT under Hitchcock and is just short of 91 in SV%. Perfectly fine all things considering.
Lol Hitchcock can’t fix a below average goaltender.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Lol Hitchcock can’t fix a below average goaltender.
2 W 2 L 1 OT 0.91 SV%

More than decent for a backup considering our depleted D lately (1 L 1 OT).

Talbot was one of the leagues best backups during his time in NYR.

Edit: Hitchcock has had the players buying in to what he is selling and putting in the effort. If you don't realise how much that does to relieve a keeper I don't know what to tell you.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Really hoping they roll with Mikko for the next little while and hopefully he will regain that stellar play. Nice game last night.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Koskinen's play dipped immediately after Global News did a feature about he and his family having their first Edmonton Christmas. Instead of the traditional Finnish ham, they were going to try turkey instead.

He got pulled against Vancouver the next night.

It's taken him weeks to recover from the embarrassment.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Koskinen's play dipped immediately after Global News did a feature about he and his family having their first Edmonton Christmas. Instead of the traditional Finnish ham, they were going to try turkey instead.

He got pulled against Vancouver the next night.

It's taken him weeks to recover from the embarrassment.

Man I know tryptophan makes you tired for a bit, but he better never touch poultry again if it makes him have a stretch like that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
4 years at 4.5 mill. In before he has a good game and the usual suspects start doling out contract proposals.

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
I've only seen Koskinen play a handful of times, but to me he seems like a bigger version of Freddy Anderson. What am I missing with this guy? What are his weaknesses?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Well it's halfway thru January and not even as a sniff of a rumor about trying to sign him or Chiasson. I wonder if this is the players saying i'm holding out till July 1st or Chiarelli just that dumb.

Koskinen coming off a terrible stretch while our dman were out. Now would be the perfect time to sign him.

Ya know, buy low sell high mentality. This team needs to think outside of the box to save on cap. This is the perfect opportunity.

I'm confident in Koskinen. Get him off the market asap.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Well it's halfway thru January and not even as a sniff of a rumor about trying to sign him or Chiasson. I wonder if this is the players saying i'm holding out till July 1st or Chiarelli just that dumb.

Koskinen coming off a terrible stretch while our dman were out. Now would be the perfect time to sign him.

Ya know, buy low sell high mentality. This team needs to think outside of the box to save on cap. This is the perfect opportunity.

PC will probably re-sign him after he carries this team on his back to the playoffs and piggy backs us to game 7. At his highest possible value is when PC will pull the trigger.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

You are correct but keep in mind Chia is Chia. Chia lives life like the captain of a sinking ship.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm a Koskinen fan... I'm also a Talbot fan... but mostly an Edmonton fan.

I think what this last stretch shows is that any goalie can get mentally exhausted playing behind dog-$#!+ defense. It happened to Roli, it happened to Dubnyk, it happened to Talbot... and even Koski, riding an emotional high in his first real NHL season has been letting in the first shot of the game, or prone to going down 3-0 in the first period. All the same things we've criticized Talbot for.

I wonder when people will realize that only about 5% of starters (the ones you pay $9M+ for) can play under circumstances like the one our GM has created in Edmonton. And even then, they can't do it forever.

We have to choose... build a better, DEEPER, D core and be ok with two 4M 1A, 1B starters, or find a way to pony up for one of the 4-5 guys in league that can provide consistency nightly while watching guys turn the puck over at our blue line 5 times in the first 5 minutes of play on a nightly basis.

I would sign Koski to $4-5M, not more... and focus on what we're going to do with our D once Sekera's money is available to us again (or a healthy Sekera himself... but not holding my breath).

And a youthful Bouchard in the top 4 is NOT the first part of the answer. At a MINIMUM, we need Klef - Larsson, Nurse - Vet, Vet - Bouchard, Russel as our top 7 D next year. If Sekera is actually healthy we aren't that far away (one vet better than Russel), but dammit we actually have to DO IT for a change and have some certainty that our fragile guys are healthy.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think he's a capable starter. Hell of a game tonight, and despite the loss last night I thought he still played pretty well given who showed up in front of him. Hope Smith is okay but I'm glad Koski was able to get it right back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad