Player Discussion Mikko Koskinen

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Spector: Blah blah blah numbers.

Koski: "I don't care about numbers. Just wins."

Spector: Asks another question about numbers.

Take a lap, Mark.

The EDM media is a joke. Larsson should just flat out punch the next reporter in the face that brings up the Hall trade to him in any way, and they should be fired on the spot. He had nothing to do with it. Leave him the f*** alone about it. That's just one example: It's the media that stirs up crap like this and it just ends up pissing off players and riling up people to rail road players out of town, deserved or not (and who made them judge and executioner?). Most (if not all) EDM media personalities seem to me to be morons, or at best are no smarter than the average poster here on this board when it comes to knowing hockey and probably pro sports in general. Where's the questions to upper management about their failures and why they still hold high positions? Why are their feet never held to the fire in any meaningful way? I know why. Morons AND shills. Two things that are about the worst attributes to have as a journalist, and two reasons to not only ignore them, but to openly mock them when necessary.

I'm sure some might respond to me, if only they could write in proper paragraph format, which I'm sure they rely on their editor to do for them. We're supposed to respect what THESE clowns have to say and write? f*** me. People need to wake up. They're as much of the problem as anyone when it comes to this team. When have they ever dug deep to find and expose things 'behind the curtains' in the organization to try and truly make a big, positive change? If it's ever happened, it was always well after the fact, when the parties were long gone from the organization. It makes me sick. I don't think there are any group of professionals that deserve less respect than these "journalists" (read: tabloid hacks) -- at least when it comes to the sporting world.

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just look at teams that have a great tandem and not just a great goalie. They always over perform. In the cap world everyone thinks you pay for one guy and then cheap out on the back up. To me now, it seems like it's more than just riding hot streaks, or injury insurance. Both your goalies are less worn out, and it helps.

It does seem like many teams are doing this now. I think it is a bit of analytics too. In the past a backup would stand on his head but they would always go back tot he starter, cause he is the starter. Now its like roll with the hot hand. Got to.

Koskinen reminds me a lot Nilson. Nilson would go on crazy good stretches to then fall back to earth hard. hopefully Koskinen does better than that, but bottom line ride the hot streak.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It does seem like many teams are doing this now. I think it is a bit of analytics too. In the past a backup would stand on his head but they would always go back tot he starter, cause he is the starter. Now its like roll with the hot hand. Got to.

Koskinen reminds me a lot Nilson. Nilson would go on crazy good stretches to then fall back to earth hard. hopefully Koskinen does better than that, but bottom line ride the hot streak.

Both of their styles are quite different to me. Nilsson had no lateral movement and didn't track the puck as well as Koskinen seems to. Kostko gets around well for a goalie his size. I'm sure his numbers will come down but I don't have the huge concerns about his game as I did Nilsson right from the start. With Nilsson, you just had to hope he stopped the initial shot and that the defense would clear the rebound, as he had basically no ability to recover. Kostko seems to recover just fine to get parts of his body in front of rebounds. But I guess we'll see.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
The EDM media is a joke. Larsson should just flat out punch the next reporter in the face that brings up the Hall trade in any way, and they should be fired on the spot. He had nothing to do with it. Leave him the **** alone about it. That's just one example: It's the media that stirs up crap like this and get people riled up and ready to rail road players out of town. Most (if not all) EDM media personalities are morons, or at best are no smarter than most of us here on this board. Where's the questions to upper management about their failures and why they still hold high positions? Oh, I know why. Morons AND shills. Two reasons to not only ignore them, but to openly mock them.

I'm sure some might respond to me, if only they could write in proper paragraph format, which I'm sure they rely on their editor to do for them. We're supposed to respect what THESE clowns have to say and write? **** me. People need to wake up. They're as much of the problem as anyone. What have they ever dug deep to find and expose in the organization to try and truly make a positive change? No guts, just take the money, do what they are told. I don't think there's anyone that deserves less respect than these "journalists" (read: tabloid hacks).
I don’t have the same vitriol you do but you echo my sentiments.

A 2-year diploma from NAIT doesn’t mean you know more about hockey (or any other sport) than anyone else.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Like I said before: Koskinen is a good goalie who never quits and is mentally as tough as they come. I mean Kiprusoff-like tough. I was sure he would be at least a decent backup, but he has been a lot better than that. We'll see how long this goes, but when he cools down, I hope Talbot has found his confidence and Edmonton can run 1A/1B goalie tandem. I believe Hitch and his system has played a big part in helping the goalies too.

On extending him: I wouldn't offer him top dollars yet (I'd wait 2 months, ask how much he wants and evaluate), but for those who have said "let's wait until summer": if he continues to play even close to this level and finishes the season with ~.92 sv%, do you understand what kind of a bidding war it would result in?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Oilers have to keep playing two goalies.

Koskinen's return would have ended up badly in any case: either an high priced backup goalie, or an expensive contract extension.

For comparison, Dubnyk played less than half a season with the Wild and was rewarded with a 4,3M$/year contract.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Does he need to be? He's being paid like a middle pairing D. And yes by every metric he is a top pairing D and a good one at that.
Whole point was that is Oilers ready to be contender? I am sure that Koskinen looks that to when looking for next contract.

So you say it is from defence?

I say they need that top dog. Klefblom can be in second pairing and at PP.

Also Nurse is a ?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Whole point was that is Oilers ready to be contender? I am sure that Koskinen looks that to when looking for next contract.

So you say it is from defence?

I say they need that top dog. Klefblom can be in second pairing and at PP.

Also Nurse is a ?
Not sure they're something I'd consider a contender at this point, but I do think they're a team that can make playoffs and then see what happens from there. Well the problem with that is contenders generally already have their goaltending sorted out otherwise they wouldn't be considered contenders in the first place. I'm sure if he keeps up his play and the Oilers offer him a fair contract he will be open to the idea of returning, especially if they make the playoffs this year.

Two dmen play on a top pairing. If you think Klefbom hasn't been a good top pairing D this year then you haven't been watching. Sure he's not a true #1, but he would be on the top pairing on a lot of teams in the league and has easily performed as a top 30 dman this year.

The team obviously needs more on defence, and that is hopefully coming soon in the pipelines from Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Berglund, etc. with Bouchard being the one with a real shot at being a #1 someday. As long as you have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge locked up you have a shot at building a good team.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not sure they're something I'd consider a contender at this point, but I do think they're a team that can make playoffs and then see what happens from there. Well the problem with that is contenders generally already have their goaltending sorted out otherwise they wouldn't be considered contenders in the first place. I'm sure if he keeps up his play and the Oilers offer him a fair contract he will be open to the idea of returning, especially if they make the playoffs this year.

Two dmen play on a top pairing. If you think Klefbom hasn't been a good top pairing D this year then you haven't been watching. Sure he's not a true #1, but he would be on the top pairing on a lot of teams in the league and has easily performed as a top 30 dman this year.

The team obviously needs more on defence, and that is hopefully coming soon in the pipelines from Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, Persson, Berglund, etc. with Bouchard being the one with a real shot at being a #1 someday. As long as you have McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge locked up you have a shot at building a good team.
He's a Bruins fan with an obvious agenda.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The EDM media is a joke. Larsson should just flat out punch the next reporter in the face that brings up the Hall trade in any way, and they should be fired on the spot. He had nothing to do with it. Leave him the **** alone about it. That's just one example: It's the media that stirs up crap like this and get people riled up and ready to rail road players out of town. Most (if not all) EDM media personalities are morons, or at best are no smarter than most of us here on this board. Where's the questions to upper management about their failures and why they still hold high positions? Oh, I know why. Morons AND shills. Two reasons to not only ignore them, but to openly mock them.

I'm sure some might respond to me, if only they could write in proper paragraph format, which I'm sure they rely on their editor to do for them. We're supposed to respect what THESE clowns have to say and write? **** me. People need to wake up. They're as much of the problem as anyone. What have they ever dug deep to find and expose things deep in the organization to try and truly make a positive change? Nope. No guts, just take the money, do what they are told. I don't think there's anyone that deserves less respect than these "journalists" (read: tabloid hacks).
Dont forget they all hated the coaching change and made it known, the only time since Mcdavid draft any heat has been put on management and its because their buddy gets fired.

Now 2 weeks later they all have a hard on for the new coach

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If he can maintain close to the same level of play, Koskinen is going to cost a hell of a lot more than 3x3.5 or some other numbers I've seen thrown out in this thread. He might be well within his right to ask for 6 per if he performs in the playoffs, should we make it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If he can maintain close to the same level of play, Koskinen is going to cost a hell of a lot more than 3x3.5 or some other numbers I've seen thrown out in this thread. He might be well within his right to ask for 6 per if he performs in the playoffs, should we make it.
If he plays well enough, including playoffs (hopefully), that he can demand $6M per, the Oilers have found a number 1 goalie going forward.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just out of curiosity I looked at every game that Talbot and Koskinen have played vs their opposition teams.

I added up all the team shooting percentages for every team they've faced so far this season just to see if one goalie has had a harder group of teams to face in terms of shooting percentage... here's what I came up with...

Talbot faced teams averaging a 9.65% shooting percentage so far this season which means if he was "average", he should have stopped 90.35% facing that competition. He stopped 89.53%... so about 0.82% under what could/should be expected based on the teams he faced.

Koskinen faced teams averaging a 9.64% shooting percentage so far this season which means if he was "average", he should have stopped 90.36% facing that competition. He actually stopped 92.93%... so about 2.57% above what could/should be expected based on the teams he faced.

That's quite a large differential and of course there's some other factors to consider.... lucky bounces, hot/cold teams faced etc... but the difference between the 2 goalies is so wide that it's very hard to ignore that 1 goalie is helping them win games by outperforming and the other has been underperforming. Hopefully Talbot can get back to at least being an average performer while Koskinen can stay above average.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
These posts are wonderful, hope they are being read. The bolded I see as well as a particular problem that has shaped here.

The trouble, as always, is that the team impacts the goalie immensely, people underestimate that side of it. To that end, Talbot is impacted, but resiient. I continue to think Talbot has considerable strength in adversity. Koski will need that as well.

As many have said hopefully we have two capable goalies now.

I've stated this before but Koski is largely not NHL scouted yet. You only know how he will endure when teams come in with reports on his tendencies and adjust accordingly. The NHL, compared to other pro sports tends to be pretty bad at that. Scouting of opponents often doesn't take shape fully until a year after. Which is one reason why a lot of clubs struggle the year after having some brief success. other teams obviously break down that success and look for ways to counter it. Of course happened with the Oilers last season and opponents playing us better.

see the thing is you were so wrong about him, maybe you're wrong again :)

you've gotten fat with all the crow you've been forced to eat :D

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad