Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Eh people remember what they want to remember. Trying to change a person's perception of a player on here is like trying to change someone's religion, maybe worse. Think what you want, I'll just turn the other cheek like I always do.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Looks like this season might become the first bad season for him in a long time, hope he turns it up though. 5 points in 18 games but still +1 shows he can still be effective and help the team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I am more disappointed in Pominville, who has been pretty bad, and he just started a new big contract. So many missed nets and fumbled pucks.

Koivu, while he hasn't been good, still wins faceoffs and is good at match-ups and maintaining puck possession.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota

Oh right, it's Koivu's linemates' fault for his lack of production. Get a grip. Koivu has played with just about every forward this team has this season and he hasn't clicked with any of them. It's tough for a line to get anything going when 1/3 of it languishes behind due to slow speed. This isn't Jacque Lemaire hockey any more. This is the new nhl. Control the biscuit into the zone and make a play. Koivu is simply not fast enough to do that anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
I am more disappointed in Pominville, who has been pretty bad, and he just started a new big contract. So many missed nets and fumbled pucks.

Koivu, while he hasn't been good, still wins faceoffs and is good at match-ups and maintaining puck possession.

:help: So Koivu with 5 points is better than Poms with 12?
Yeah he has played some poor games but come on...

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Oh right, it's Koivu's linemates' fault for his lack of production. Get a grip. Koivu has played with just about every forward this team has this season and he hasn't clicked with any of them. It's tough for a line to get anything going when 1/3 of it languishes behind due to slow speed. This isn't Jacque Lemaire hockey any more. This is the new nhl. Control the biscuit into the zone and make a play. Koivu is simply not fast enough to do that anymore.

Agreed. Getting players like Haula and Zucker and you can see how having speed can create offense. Because of Koivu's lack of a speed, his offensive abilities are limited. I'm probably one of only a few people that wanted Koivu traded before he signed his last contract.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
how often does Zucker or Haula actually carry the puck into the zone outside shorthanded chances? I usually only notice Zucker's speed when he's chasing the puck, because you know when your guy totally outclasses the defense in speed dumping the puck in or chipping it past the blue line isn't a horrible idea.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Funny how nobody his commenting him anymore. It's interesting what happens when you put him with somebody who shoots. Also they left him with Zucker long enough to let them finally get through. For being a third line center he sure has been good lately.:sarcasm:

Before last nights game he had 5 points in 5 games.

Last edited:

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Funny how nobody his commenting him anymore. It's interesting what happens when you put him with somebody who shoots. Also they left him with Zucker long enough to let them finally get through. For being a third line center he sure has been good lately.:sarcasm:

Don't worry, once Koivu has an off night this thread will be buzzing again.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

And that's the biggest problem with Koivu. We know what he's capable of but he he goes through in cycles. He elevates his game for a few weeks and then plays like crap the next month. It's hard to be a good team when you're center is so bipolar.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
And that's the biggest problem with Koivu. We know what he's capable of but he he goes through in cycles. He elevates his game for a few weeks and then plays like crap the next month. It's hard to be a good team when you're center is so bipolar.

Or it could just be random variation of team shooting percentages...

Antsman41

Quack, Quack, Quack!
Aug 12, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Koivu has been mostly a locker room guy for years... he has no bite unless someone slashed or tripped him.

We'd be best to cut ties, I love the guy but ****.

No one should keep a 1st line center who can never score more than 20 goals per season... yes he can pass and be a great set up man but he rarely has someone to his left let alone his right at the same time.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
How much longer and how many more free passes will Koivu receive? It's the same song and dance every year with Koivu at the helm: fighting for a playoff spot. The roster gets arguably deeper, the head coaches get replaced and then gain more experience, yet the leadership always remains as do the results. I don't understand how Yeo allows a guy to captain this team who only plays when he feels like it. At some point Koivu has to take a little accountability for the results in the W-L column.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Let's hate on the only center that has been producing the last couple of games. Some people I tell you :shakehead :help:. How many teams does it need to be said that there is more than one leader on this team. I don't I think we should blame him for the awful goaltending.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Koivu has been mostly a locker room guy for years... he has no bite unless someone slashed or tripped him.

No one should keep a 1st line center who can never score more than 20 goals per season... yes he can pass and be a great set up man but he rarely has someone to his left let alone his right at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that's why he 6 points in 6 games.:shakehead

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I always visit this thread when I need a good laugh.

I'm sorry that Koivu isn't quite what you want him to be, but that doesn't mean your first reaction has to be running around screaming trade and cut him and strip him of the C.

Never change. :help:

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
How much longer and how many more free passes will Koivu receive? It's the same song and dance every year with Koivu at the helm: fighting for a playoff spot. The roster gets arguably deeper, the head coaches get replaced and then gain more experience, yet the leadership always remains as do the results. I don't understand how Yeo allows a guy to captain this team who only plays when he feels like it. At some point Koivu has to take a little accountability for the results in the W-L column.

Out of all the times to start this engine back up, why now? He, Nino and Zucker have been our best forwards in the last stretch.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Is Granlund ever going to score 20? Otherwise we don't have another one on our roster.. so.. what's the plan then?

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Koivu's numbers may be down this year, but I think he's playing better than he did last year.

He's been shooting more this year, and has been setting up some beauty scoring opportunities that just haven't been buried.

His numbers will pick up I have no doubt. He's a microcosm of how the team has been doing so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad