Rumor: Mikhail Grigorenko Arbitration Numbers

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Wow I remember all the hype this guy had when he was drafted...I really thought he was going to be a stud.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Wow I remember all the hype this guy had when he was drafted...I really thought he was going to be a stud.

He turned 22 in May. The kid has a long time before people can decide if he's a bust. He played a lot better last year and hopefully with more responsibility can turn into a solid top 6 player for years to come.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

He got rushed in Buffalo and that killed his confidence. At the end of last year, he showed glimpses of why he was drafted so high. If he can keep his head on straight, there's no reason he can't be a very solid top 6 winger.

On topic, I don't think Grigorenko's ask is really that far off from what he's worth. If Yakupov is worth $2.5m, Grigorenko is easily worth $1.65m.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They should just meet in the middle.

is he though?

I honestly don't know cause I haven't seen him play much in the NHL. I was surprised to see that he has only played 140 games.

He has talent beyond what you typically see from a 22 year old. Towards the end of the season when his confidence was on the rise, he was showing the hands and vision that got him drafted where he was.

This is kind of a big year for him. He should have tons of opportunities to break out. We'll see how it goes.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think most people that haven't watched Grigorenko and just looked at the draft position and his Jr. Numbers will be looking for him to put up a lot of points. From what I've seen of him, he's actually a pretty good defensive zone player, and his offensive game is coming around. With him, it's all about rebuilding that confidence, he was rushed a bit into the NHL and the things he was used to doing just didn't work anymore. We started to see towards the end of the season what he was capable of.

I think it would be smart for both sides to settle around 1.2-1.4/year for 2 years. It's a good deal for the Avs and it's a bit more security for Grigorenko.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Give the kid a 2 year, $3 million deal. If he can't prove more within 2 years, then that's all she wrote.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We like him in Colorado. It's a slow process but he works hard and does a lot of things well. Very smart and talented player.

Supposedly he's close on a contract so this one shouldn't make it to Friday.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
As a Sabres fan, yes, he's talented, but the Russian curse (having the tools but not producing/even trying) is catching up onto him

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
As a Sabres fan, yes, he's talented, but the Russian curse (having the tools but not producing/even trying) is catching up onto him

I really had high hopes for this guy. Darcy/Rolston didn't help him. I was a little bummed to see him go. He's the ONLY player that Armia ever played well with.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

How's it catching up to him? He did well this year in limited minutes, producing when he was playing with offensively gifted players outside the 4th line. He also worked hard defensively to earn his minutes.

It's probably for the best for him to be on the Avs, he's comfortable with Roy and there aren't any high expectations for him. All the Avs want to see is for him to steadily improve year over year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You just don't know what you're talking about.

IMO, he was better (or more effective) than Iginla for majority of the games, but tell me one coach in the NHL who would promote him to replace Iginla? It just isn't going to happen until Iginla is gone after this season.

Weast

May 16, 2011
1.65 isn't bad at all for a 3C. Hopefully by the end of next season he will be moved to a top 6 wing role permanently.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Was the QO to Grigerenko a two way deal? Can't imagine how he justifies anywhear near 1.65M.

Anywhere near 1M is more than fair for him. Can't imagine this actually goes to arb.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Was the QO to Grigerenko a two way deal? Can't imagine how he justifies anywhear near 1.65M.

Anywhere near 1M is more than fair for him. Can't imagine this actually goes to arb.

Yakupov is getting $2.5m. Grigorenko scored at essentially the same pace (2 pt difference over 82 games).

Not saying Yakupov deserves $2.5m, but using him as a comparable, Grigorenko at $1.65m is a steal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Most likely yes, it would have been a 2-way QO. Grigorenko didn't hit the thresholds to have a mandatory 1-way QO.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He turned 22 in May. The kid has a long time before people can decide if he's a bust. He played a lot better last year and hopefully with more responsibility can turn into a solid top 6 player for years to come.

Except for the fact he might really be 24?:sarcasm:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yakupov is getting $2.5m. Grigorenko scored at essentially the same pace (2 pt difference over 82 games).

Not saying Yakupov deserves $2.5m, but using him as a comparable, Grigorenko at $1.65m is a steal.

Yakupov has shown he can produce at the NHL level (31 pts in 48 games in his rookie year)..whereas Grigerenko really hasn't. Not sure how Grigerenko could use him as a comp

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
turned 22 in May.... psh, the May of his draft year maybe

http://flamesnation.ca/2012/6/20/mikhail-grigorenko-why-is-he-falling

There is something off about the kid. His talent relative to peers keeps going backwards. I think he could play at the NHL as a third or four line to-way player but that would mean revamping his game. I don't see it. Sabres knew it. Gamble for Avs was minor -- he was least important part of deal for O'Reilly in my opinion. If they can turn the kid into 3rd line player, deal will look much better for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad