Mike Yeo's Time Is Running Out

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Blaming someone else than Yeo in this point is pointless, as the system he coaches is very effective in creating certain statistical illusions. The offensive zone play focuses on posession so much that they systematically out-number the defensive players on boards.

- Because the out-numbered puck in the boards, MIN struggles to create built scoring chances from posession and rely too much on just delivering the puck to the net.
- Probably due the team's strenghts being wingers, the centers need to contribute to the out-numbering from the less risky direction, which usually is at the boards, about 10 ft from the blue line.
- With so many men on the puck from MIN, the defensive side naturally has more people between the puck and the net, making it easier to block the shots and dangerous passes.
- Usually the puck ends up for the center playing between the blue line and the scrum, who really does not have other choices than playing it to the net from bad angle or making an easy pass for the d-man, as other wingers are either in too risky positions or right next to you.
- The player delivering the puck from the bad angle or blue line rarely has a scoring chance by themselves, requiring the wingers to attack on the bounces or rebounds the puck may take and continue the posession game in the corners or whack the rebound to the net.
- As a team relying so much on posession, it becomes harder to be the team trailing, as with time running out of the clock the benefits of the pure posession began to decrease compared to more offensively orientated play.
- With strong posession creating penalties the PP should be the weapon number one. For MIN it surely isn't.
- This leaves the counter attacks as the only viable way to create scoring by skill, with usually the wingers breaking the puck trough from the boards.

And this is how MIN creates the huge amount of shots, which is used as a synonym amongs the stat worshippers not really watching the game. Also the system leaves only small room for a center to succeed statistically, as it is playing defensive and risk-minimizing game in the offensive zone. With better PP it could be more effective given the fact that Wild's winger depth is better than center depth.

TDLR: The posession Yeo's Wild creates in the offensive zone isn't really an offensive number, as it really is just defensive play in the offensive zone valuing puck posession more than offence, forcing the team to take bad angle shots in a fear of loosing the puck while taking riskier pass.

This is one of the most intelligent and well explained posts I have read on this message board. And you are spot on as to our system and how it has played out over the last few years.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Is he THAT bad of a coach? I mean, I guess obviously he can't motivate these guys now. But is he a bad coach? Seems like a smart guy. Maybe fit better as a defensive assistant coach?

Billy Mays Here*

I'd like to keep him as well, keep the tank going. This season is beyond saving and a high draft pick would be marvelous.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His time had already run out. No idea what the Wild are waiting for to fire him, they're going to miss the playoffs if they don't. They haven't gotten good goaltending, but that's not why their possession numbers have gone off the cliff. 8 points isn't an impossible task, but they need to stop screwing around and start making some tough decisions. They have a roster that should be contending.

Billy Mays Here*

His time had already run out. No idea what the Wild are waiting for to fire him, they're going to miss the playoffs if they don't. They haven't gotten good goaltending, but that's not why their possession numbers have gone off the cliff. 8 points isn't an impossible task, but they need to stop screwing around and start making some tough decisions. They have a roster that should be contending.

The season is already lost. Embrace the tank and fix the problems this off-season.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Michael Russo @Russostrib · 8m 8 minutes ago
Fletcher on Mike Yeo: "We’ve got an overall performance issue here. I’m not looking at Mike at all right now. He’s our coach, a good coach"

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Michael Russo @Russostrib · 8m 8 minutes ago
Fletcher on Mike Yeo: "We’ve got an overall performance issue here. I’m not looking at Mike at all right now. He’s our coach, a good coach"

That makes me very, very sad.

He's not a good coach. His players aren't playing for themselves, and certainly aren't playing for him. I would like to think a good coach could get at least one of those two issues resolved.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Blaming someone else than Yeo in this point is pointless, as the system he coaches is very effective in creating certain statistical illusions. The offensive zone play focuses on posession so much that they systematically out-number the defensive players on boards.

- Because the out-numbered puck in the boards, MIN struggles to create built scoring chances from posession and rely too much on just delivering the puck to the net.
- Probably due the team's strenghts being wingers, the centers need to contribute to the out-numbering from the less risky direction, which usually is at the boards, about 10 ft from the blue line.
- With so many men on the puck from MIN, the defensive side naturally has more people between the puck and the net, making it easier to block the shots and dangerous passes.
- Usually the puck ends up for the center playing between the blue line and the scrum, who really does not have other choices than playing it to the net from bad angle or making an easy pass for the d-man, as other wingers are either in too risky positions or right next to you.
- The player delivering the puck from the bad angle or blue line rarely has a scoring chance by themselves, requiring the wingers to attack on the bounces or rebounds the puck may take and continue the posession game in the corners or whack the rebound to the net.
- As a team relying so much on posession, it becomes harder to be the team trailing, as with time running out of the clock the benefits of the pure posession began to decrease compared to more offensively orientated play.
- With strong posession creating penalties the PP should be the weapon number one. For MIN it surely isn't.
- This leaves the counter attacks as the only viable way to create scoring by skill, with usually the wingers breaking the puck trough from the boards.

And this is how MIN creates the huge amount of shots, which is used as a synonym amongs the stat worshippers not really watching the game. Also the system leaves only small room for a center to succeed statistically, as it is playing defensive and risk-minimizing game in the offensive zone. With better PP it could be more effective given the fact that Wild's winger depth is better than center depth.

TDLR: The posession Yeo's Wild creates in the offensive zone isn't really an offensive number, as it really is just defensive play in the offensive zone valuing puck posession more than offence, forcing the team to take bad angle shots in a fear of loosing the puck while taking riskier pass.

Hard to refute any of this since I'm not a Wild fan, but Minnesota with their current amount of goals scored would be in a playoff spot with league average goaltending. Pominville and Parise also seem to be scoring at expected levels. Vanek, however, has been horrendous and is an anchor to the second line. The problem seems much more personnel related than having to do with the system to me. Bad goaltending, no depth down the middle - it's hard to win in that situation.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
That makes me very, very sad.

He's not a good coach. His players aren't playing for themselves, and certainly aren't playing for him. I would like to think a good coach could get at least one of those two issues resolved.
It's quite pathetic. Would have loved to fire Yeo instead of picking up a goalie. Oh well....the season is already lost, so.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad