Mike Yeo Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I think it's mostly the players fault. I mean look how amazing we played the first 4-15 games of the year. We dominated in every fashion. That says right there the team is not executing.

It's also the coach's job to motivate and inspire and figure out ways to pull teams out of funks.

Four years of similar funks? Yeah, that's more than just a couple players. When the whole team falls flat for extended periods of time, consistently, that's on the coach.

If a team cannot maintain a system consistently, or if there are constantly broken aspects in overall play, maybe it's just not a good system.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Russo is on taking mode? :laugh: What i've read and heard Carlyle seems to be stuck and can't deal with the modern hockey.

Oh, it's worse than you can even imagine. Need a guy who dresses one dimensional fighter goons (Orr and McLaren) over actual hockey players? Randy's your man. Need a guy who has a system that is so old and outdated that it was probably written in Aramaic? Randy's your man. Need a guy who refuses to adapt to the modern day game? Randy's your man. Need a guy who absolutely refuses to hold vets and highly paid players accountable and takes out his frustrations on young players who don't deserve it? Randy's your man. Need a guy who has horrible minute distribution, plays the 4th line just 2 min a game and the top line over 21 per game and tires your top guys the **** out? Randy's your man. Need a guy who sticks your talented young guys with stiff goons (Kadri with Orr)? Randy's your man. And last, but most certainly not least, need a guy who's teams get horribly outshot night in and night out and can only be salvaged by goalies stealing games or 2 hall of fame d-men? Randy's your man.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm pretty sure they worked together in Anaheim, but Carlyle better not be in Fletcher's plans, for all the reasons that Swervin just mentioned and so many more.

I think the reason Russo mentioned him was because his communication style might be a way to jolt these guys out of their funk, but they still have to play his system.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Tippett is a loyal soldier in Az . having to put up with a poor market, poor ownership and a team whose real talent would be better suited for the AHL! Stillhe has always been able to motivate players and get more from them than is expected. Here is a coach who won the Jack Adams award a few short years ago! He is mired in a long-term contract and would undoubtedly like to find some way out! Won't happen because the flimsy new ownership knows he is the best they can find! So they give no talent, a mediocre GM and asked him to perform miracles! Perhaps the Wild could unload a few minor pieces and convince Az. To let Tippett out of his contract! He would be the seasoned coach this team needs and perhaps a few of our pieces might give Az a lift?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Phoenix has solid talent, and I don't think Tippett's defensive coaching style would mesh well with how our team is built.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Phoenix has solid talent, and I don't think Tippett's defensive coaching style would mesh well with how our team is built.

I'm slightly leaning towards this.

I don't know the answer at all for coaching because I think Blysma isn't the right one either. However, this GM also has a perceived bias towards Pittsburgh for the obvious reasons.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Lambert wrote a long story on Puck Daddy defending Yeo...

Usually hate everything he writes but that's one where I tend to agree with him.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Lambert wrote a long story on Puck Daddy defending Yeo...

Usually hate everything he writes but that's one where I tend to agree with him.

Brandon Molesky was on KFAN with PA this am while I was driving into work. He said it great during that timeframe that this is more on Fletcher than it is on Yeo. The podcast is up so by all means listen to it (or someone with a better memory than me).

Essentially Brandon claims he has heard from SOMEONE that Yeo never wanted Vanek and that Fletcher forced that hand. Yeo explained to Vanek how he would need to play and that was understood. Vanek never lived up to his end of the deal when playing actually happens. Brandon basically run the bus over Vanek as being the cancer inside the locker room and how he is playing some of the worst hockey in the NHL. And to an extent I would see why.

If I'm Zucker and Nino I would be livid that Vanek could demand top line ice time and actually get it. That he gets top PP minutes when they are the ones actually scoring goals. At what point do these players not revolt when they hear it? But it all comes down to a player not meant for this system and Yeo attempting to get at least some type of production out of him. The downside from that is, you probably have some jadedness by the kids (honestly, how many of you would not be upset if you were in that situation? even if you didn't voice it?) and the worst: how many goals did you cost yourself by not letting your best setup guy play with your best sniper and best crease guy?

Truth be told, as other have at least said: mentality wise - if this team doesn't sign Parise or Suter they were probably better off. They went from trying to solidify a team to trying to win the cup in a matter of one offseason. It has been constant "get vet A to solve problem B while we lose asset C" over the last couple years. You should want UFA's to come in and supplement your core group and youth. Not UFA's come in and supplement your core and your youth is brought up to fill the gaps your vets cannot do.

J22*

Brandon Molesky was on KFAN with PA this am while I was driving into work. He said it great during that timeframe that this is more on Fletcher than it is on Yeo. The podcast is up so by all means listen to it (or someone with a better memory than me).

Essentially Brandon claims he has heard from SOMEONE that Yeo never wanted Vanek and that Fletcher forced that hand. Yeo explained to Vanek how he would need to play and that was understood. Vanek never lived up to his end of the deal when playing actually happens. Brandon basically run the bus over Vanek as being the cancer inside the locker room and how he is playing some of the worst hockey in the NHL. And to an extent I would see why.

If I'm Zucker and Nino I would be livid that Vanek could demand top line ice time and actually get it. That he gets top PP minutes when they are the ones actually scoring goals. At what point do these players not revolt when they hear it? But it all comes down to a player not meant for this system and Yeo attempting to get at least some type of production out of him. The downside from that is, you probably have some jadedness by the kids (honestly, how many of you would not be upset if you were in that situation? even if you didn't voice it?) and the worst: how many goals did you cost yourself by not letting your best setup guy play with your best sniper and best crease guy?

Truth be told, as other have at least said: mentality wise - if this team doesn't sign Parise or Suter they were probably better off. They went from trying to solidify a team to trying to win the cup in a matter of one offseason. It has been constant "get vet A to solve problem B while we lose asset C" over the last couple years. You should want UFA's to come in and supplement your core group and youth. Not UFA's come in and supplement your core and your youth is brought up to fill the gaps your vets cannot do.

2 things-

1. I wonder if that "someone" is the same someone that told Mileski that Kuemper was demanding more money than Backstrom makes.

2. Mileski is a Moron, and he proves it on a daily basis.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I just can't agree that bringing in Parise and Suter was a bad move. Same with bringing in Pominville who scored 30 goals last year and would do it again this year if his shooting percentage wasn't historically low.

And speaking of making moves to go younger, trading Burns for Setoguchi, Coyle, and Phillips was a disaster. It's not always greener.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

I just can't see how that is in any way possible

With the free-agent market set to open Tuesday at 11 a.m., pending free agent Thomas Vanek met with Wild coach Mike Yeo late Sunday. General Manager Chuck Fletcher was not expected to be at the meeting.

The objective for Sunday’s meeting was for Yeo to talk to Vanek about his potential fit and role, the Wild’s system and what would be expected from Vanek if he were to sign in Minnesota. The Wild’s identity late in the season and in the playoffs was as a hardworking team that played as five-man units in all three zones, and the Wild wants to make certain Vanek would fit into that seamlessly.

So you're saying that Yeo and Vanek sat down to discuss the role, disagreed on it, and GMCF just overruled Yeo?

If that were the case, then GMCF would disagree with Yeo's coaching philosophy and ability to evaluate talent.

If that were the case, Mike Yeo wouldn't have a job right now.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Well Mike made it throught the day - good for him (i think).

Being a coach i know how a coach dies a thousand deaths with every loss, especially as the playoffs slip further and further away.

It can be a blessing to be canned. There is no magic pill with no NHL goaltending.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
I just can't agree that bringing in Parise and Suter was a bad move. Same with bringing in Pominville who scored 30 goals last year and would do it again this year if his shooting percentage wasn't historically low.

And speaking of making moves to go younger, trading Burns for Setoguchi, Coyle, and Phillips was a disaster. It's not always greener.

I get that this trade doesn't seem good, but wasn't Burns gone anyways?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I get that this trade doesn't seem good, but wasn't Burns gone anyways?

That's what I seem to remember, in which case this would be considered a win still, but I thought someone said he wanted to stay and we just couldn't pay him. My memory is foggy now.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I think the plan was they had to move Burns because they targeted Suter/Parise the following year otherwise they wouldnt have had cap room for both

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think the plan was they had to move Burns because they targeted Suter/Parise the following year otherwise they wouldnt have had cap room for both

More like Zidlicky; Burns was because the Wild thought he would pull a Gaborik

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I've flip flopped on Yeo so many times I don't know what I think about him anymore.

When we play well we look really really good but at the same time the scoreboard rarely reflects how well we played.

The one thing I'm pretty confident in is Yeo is better than any of the guys currently available.

I think I would just ride out the season with him, so many things this year have just been odd.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Honestly, if Yeo wanted to intimidate the team, he could just have done it by blinding everyone temporarily with the shining light reflecting off his head. That'll show 'em!

Billy Mays Here*

I've flip flopped on Yeo so many times I don't know what I think about him anymore.

When we play well we look really really good but at the same time the scoreboard rarely reflects how well we played.

The one thing I'm pretty confident in is Yeo is better than any of the guys currently available.

I think I would just ride out the season with him, so many things this year have just been odd.

I value Maclean in higher regard, possibly Deboer and Bylsma as well (but not necessarily enough to justify firing Yeo and replacing him with one of those two).

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
2 things-

1. I wonder if that "someone" is the same someone that told Mileski that Kuemper was demanding more money than Backstrom makes.

2. Mileski is a Moron, and he proves it on a daily basis.

I agree with you on both those points through and through. I can't stand listening to them try to explain what is going on. But what BM said was just an interesting discussion point in relation to Fletcher or Yeo taking the blunt of this fiasco.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
From what I call, Mileski had set his narrative about Vanek's work ethic long before he signed with the team, so I'm not surprised if he continues on about it. Kind of like Micheletti set his narrative about Vanek being amazing and can't bring himself to criticize him.

The only two guys on the radio that give real insight (and have inside knowledge) are Russo and Nanne. Both guys called Vanek to the Wild years ago, both guys have legit NHL experience (in different ways), both guys can actually step back and give impartial opinions.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

I think if Yeo gets canned in this situation it's just because they need a scapegoat and usually coaches end up taking the fall. He's not responsible for the poor goaltending. It's true he has his faults and some of the criticism is warranted, but with average goaltending we'd likely be in a WC spot. That's why if Yeo gets fired, Fletcher might as well get out too while the door's still open because he's the one who's supposed to make sure we don't have the worst goaltending in the league.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Burns was a year away from being a UFA. They literally couldn't hold any discussions about a contract extension July 1st (he was traded in June) so he was never "gone".

Also, here are some interesting quotes:

“I’ve been watching how they’ve been doing, hoping that they would lose every game. You have to be competitive to reach this level and I’m a pretty intense guy. And when a team doesn’t want you, you sure don’t want them to go 82-0.”

“It’s like an ex-girlfriend. You really don’t want her to get the white-picket fence and the great job. It’s like a good country song.”

To be fair, these comments must be put in proper context. The Merc states Burns wasn’t speaking with any bitterness towards Minnesota — in fact, he talked at length about how much he liked the place. He still has a house there, loved the fans and said the Wild will always be a huge part of his life.

And when he says huge, he really means huge. See, Burns has a fairly massive tattoo on his back with a picture of his pets and the word “Wild” in green script. Not to be outdone, Burns’ dad has a “Born to Be Wild” comet with the Wild logo. Inside logo reads, “Brent Burns, First Round, 20th Overall, 2003.”

So he was super bitter about the trade, said the team didn't want him, compared the Wild to an ex-girlfriend, said he loves Minnesota, he has a Wild tattoo, his DAD has a Wild tattoo...does that sound like a guy who had one foot out the door or was upset the team traded him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad