Speculation: Mike Weber will be the next Captain

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You know the state of our franchise is really bad when Weber is in discussion as captain.. I think it will be Vanek by default until Girgensons or Foligno are ready

Not much different than Gaustad. We should have known years ago that team wasnt good enough when people are calling for Gaustad to be captain.

I think he will grow into a #1 PK D like Jay McKee was, stand up for teammates, and become a big voice in the locker room. I loved an interview he did this offseason, talked about players being accountable. He said things I dont hear Sabres players say normally.

5:45. Talks about accountability. My favorite quote was "If I pass on a hit I expect to get called out"
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/75294633/...ys-on-his-offseason-training.htm?q=mike+weber

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Lets be honest though, if not Vanek it could be Steve Ott. Ehrhoff should get it. Weber is probably the only young player I can see that could handle it. But Steve Ott would get it before Weber.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Lets be honest though, if not Vanek it could be Steve Ott. Ehrhoff should get it. Weber is probably the only young player I can see that could handle it. But Steve Ott would get it before Weber.

Ott would be a great choice if not for his shenanigans ...

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
To a young team in transition, I don't see how handing the leadership reins to Weber would be a bad thing.

-He understands accountability.
-He works hard.
-He stands up for his teammates.
-His teammates appreciate him.
-He's become an NHL regular.

If he's the kind of player that teammates will respect and follow, why not? He's far from ideal. He isn't Shea Weber, he's Mike Weber. But if he's respected by his teammates, what harm can it do?

If I'm Rolston, I'm giving Weber the C, Ott an A and a young player that's expected to be around for the long haul an A (Foligno, Hodgson - whoever Rolston deems worthy).

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
To a young team in transition, I don't see how handing the leadership reins to Weber would be a bad thing.

-He understands accountability.
-He works hard.
-He stands up for his teammates.
-His teammates appreciate him.
-He's become an NHL regular.

If he's the kind of player that teammates will respect and follow, why not? He's far from ideal. He isn't Shea Weber, he's Mike Weber. But if he's respected by his teammates, what harm can it do?

If I'm Rolston, I'm giving Weber the C, Ott an A and a young player that's expected to be around for the long haul an A (Foligno, Hodgson - whoever Rolston deems worthy).
I need more than an NHL regular though, he must be a relied upon top 4 D player. I think he can be our most important D after Myers and Ehrhoff.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Ana, I respectfully disagree. He seems like a player who is more vet than kid and knows the role. Not like Vanek shows more leadership :/

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I think when Vanek bounced off Lucic, right after Miller got laid out... it officially ended any notion of him being Captain material

If that puts Vanek out of the captain-discussion, then this oughta kill Ott's chances as well.

I have a feeling people confuse "captain" with "enforcer".

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think you confuse enforcer with being a man.

When drury got chris neiled, stafford was a man about it. When miller got Milan luciced, vanek was a ***** about it.

It has nothing to do with enforcing

I don't know why anyone would want vanek for Captain, unless they've enjoyed the last 6 years an want more of it.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

When drury got chris neiled, stafford was a man about it. When miller got Milan luciced, vanek was a ***** about it.

I don't know why anyone would want vanek for Captain, unless they've enjoyed the last 6 years an want more of it.

My point was merely that if Vanek is out of the question because we don't think he stood up for Miller, then Ott is also out for not standing up for Ennis. Btw, I seem to recall a certain Pominville was on the ice when Miller got hit too.

The point is that everybody makes mistakes. If we want someone who always did the right thing, we're gonna have to wait until the resurrection and draft Jebus himself. (Although I doubt he would have adressed the Lucic situation differently.)

Like others have already stated: Would Lidström have thrown his gloves and called out Lucic? Did that make him a bad captain?

Yeah, so Vanek could have done something else in that situation. Ott could have done something else in the other situation. I may not like how things were handled, but to me it doesn't disqualify any of them.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah blame Vanek for not going after Lucic but don't blame 6'8 Myers or 6'5 Gaustad :laugh:

Vanek is an infinitely better choice then Mike Weber who would be the worst captain in Sabre history.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah blame Vanek for not going after Lucic but don't blame 6'8 Myers or 6'5 Gaustad :laugh:

Vanek is an infinitely better choice then Mike Weber who would be the worst captain in Sabre history.

Only reason Vanek isnt the clear choice is because he is leaving the team.

The top choices for captain are..

Ehrhoff
Ott
STafford

I dont know much about Ehrhoff as a leader, but I think he is the best choice. After that there probably isnt a consensus pick.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I went after everyone for that incident. Do you see me pimping Myers for Captain? Nope.

TheWook

Nov 4, 2012
Rochester
For some reason its lost on people that a captain during a rebuild is different than a captain on a cup contending team. Weber fits the criteria and if Rolston chooses him I dont understand how anyone could be upset about it...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
For some reason its lost on people that a captain during a rebuild is different than a captain on a cup contending team. Weber fits the criteria and if Rolston chooses him I dont understand how anyone could be upset about it...

correct

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

Are you seriously criticizing Vanek's leadership qualities because he didn't go after Lucic in that situation? That's reaching.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

I wouldn't be upset, but I would not be thrilled either. It was not until last year's shortened season that Weber even solidified a spot in the lineup. I see him as a future captain, but not next year's.

Vanek, with the uncertainty surrounding his future, is not the answer either.

Ott also isn't the answer. Captains need to have the respect of the officials. Ott can't always say that.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Are you seriously criticizing Vanek's leadership qualities because he didn't go after Lucic in that situation? That's reaching.

yes...

but that's besides the point. i dont think vanek has any leadership qualities to begin with.

is goal scoring a leadership quality?

if moping was a leadership quality, I'd give Vanek the C in a heartbeat...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad