Speculation: Mike Weber will be the next Captain

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Rolston said. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.

“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”

In my opinion he is literally the only choice. And that's a good thing.

- Steve Ott can be a vocal leader, but his "toe the line" style of play will prevent him from wearing the C.
- Thomas Vanek... even if he's extended... what has he ever done in the "accountability" department? The vocal leadership department? Have you ever heard a "Vanek is a leader" story?
- Christian Ehrhoff is signed long term, is a veteran, and his effort on the ice is never in question... but do you see Captain material in him? Is he the guy who is going to hold people accountable off the ice?
- The rest of the crew is simply too young... we may have some future Captains in Foligno or Hodgson or even Myers... but they are too young, and their development too important to hoist the leadership of a "bad" team on their shoulders... it would be detrimental.

Mike Weber is a vet
He's had to fight just to keep his job in the NHL
He's had to deal with demotions
He's a tough character who clearly isn't afraid to defend his teammates on the ice, and all media reports indicate that he was the voice in the lockerroom in the 2nd half of the seasons
“Everyone personally and as a team, we need to go in a different direction here and change the culture here,” Weber said. “Guys need to be held accountable. I think a lot of that’s been lost over the last couple of years."

and he's already viewed as such by his teammates :

Weber, who started the season as a healthy scratch, fought his way into the lineup. He played 42 of the 48 games and was voted “Unsung Hero” by his teammates.

“It’s a huge honor,” he said. “Obviously, something that’s voted by your peers is pretty special. I just try to show up and be consistent and battle for them every night. As an individual, I’m a terrible player. As a team, everyone on this team makes me better and makes me look a lot better than I am.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130517/SPORTS/130519254/1104

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
He should be, and I won't be surprised if he is. He's a solid player and has been a leader ever since his days in Windsor.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I love Mike Weber as a player and he soudns like a great guy.

I was really pulling for him even when a lot of people dismissed him as basically a 7th Dman 2 seasons ago. But he had a great bounceback year and I wouldn't mind seeing him wearing the "C" at all. It would be pretty funny too because I think most of Hfboards would be very confused by the move!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let the players vote on who they see as the captain. If that's Weber (he's a better choice than most), so be it. Let them choose from within.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
He went from god damn horrible to decent and now he's captain material?

I know you like to stir up **** and start arguments, but this one just plain sucks.

I'd rather have Matt "god of thunder and lightning" Ellis as captain.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I predict the next captain wil be from the new Rochester lockout core: Porter anyone?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He went from god damn horrible to decent and now he's captain material?

I know you like to stir up **** and start arguments, but this one just plain sucks.

I'd rather have Matt "god of thunder and lightning" Ellis as captain.

Well Myers was god damn horrible last (full) season. Weber was better than Myers.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I like Weber more then most but no way in hell does he deserve to be captain.Prior to this season he wasn't even a regular player in the lineup when the whole defense was healthy and has had many ups and downs in his career.He had a great rookie year and then was terrible for a few seasons after that.Yes he was decent this past season but he needs more then a good cup of coffee in 07-08 and a good lockout shortened season before he should even be considered captain.

Jame said:
- Thomas Vanek... even if he's extended... what has he ever done in the "accountability" department? The vocal leadership department? Have you ever heard a "Vanek is a leader" story?

Well he has been the most consistent Sabre on the team and takes more punishment and abuse then any player on the team by far.You never hear Vanek complain about the multiple cross checks,slashes and spears he takes game in and game out when he parks himself in front of the net.He just shuts up and scores goals.He also came up big in our last 2 playoff series, you can't ask for more then 7 goals in 10 playoff games.The only reason Vanek wasn't given the C is strictly due to his contract.If he re-signs it's a no brainer,Vanek for captain.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I understand those who don't "want" him to be the next Captain... personal opinion doesn't have to be well informed...

but those that disagree with the speculation based on the information available... why?

The coach is talking about him as a leader, he's talking about himself as a leader, and the players are talking about him as a leader...

do you need a calculator? :sarcasm:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I like Weber more then most but no way in hell does he deserve to be captain.

Well he has been the most consistent Sabre on the team and takes more punishment and abuse then any player on the team by far.You never hear Vanek complain about the multiple cross checks,slashes and spears he takes game in and game out when he parks himself in front of the net.He just shuts up and scores goals.He also came up big in our last 2 playoff series, you can't ask for more then 7 goals in 10 playoff games.The only reason Vanek wasn't given the C is strictly due to his contract.If he re-signs it's a no brainer,Vanek for captain.

Vanek is one of the most soft spoken players on the team. He's also been part of a leadership core that has accomplished dick in 6 years. Go find me one video clip of Vanek mad.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Prior to this season he wasn't even a regular player in the lineup when the whole defense was healthy and has had many ups and downs in his career.He had a great rookie year and then was terrible for a few seasons after that.Yes he was decent this past season but he needs more then a good cup of coffee in 07-08 and a good lockout shortened season before he should even be considered captain.

Do you think "prior to this season" matters? Not in YOUR opinion, but in the opinion of those who will make the decision on who the Captain will be.... do you understand the difference?

Who do you think will be picking the Captain?
It will be Rolston or the Players

Rolston believes Weber is a Leader
The players believe Weber is a Leader

I believe Weber should be Captain... and I'm giving you the evidence that supports the idea from the Coach/Players perspective.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
I actually agree that Weber is the best candidate for captain on the roster right now. It's tough, though, because I'd really like to see a full season of quality play from him before making that sort of (seemingly long term) commitment. A captain doesn't need to be one of the best players on the team.... but he should be pretty good I think. And Weber has only been pretty good inconsistently. His best stretch was this year.... in a shortened season... which was even shorter for him.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
If Mike Weber is our captain I will throw up.

I have nothing against Weber, I think he is a great player, but this just sounds like the Devils making Salvador their captain.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He thought enough of himself to go up to a hated rival and suggest a measure of solidarity, and the team fell in place behind him. I don't think Vanek should be captain, I don't think anybody should be captain right now, but I think you're going to far in the other direction to say why he shouldn't.

Calling Vanek a "leader" in the structure of the Rochester core is kinda disingenuous, too. He didn't get a letter until Rivet got benched/waived in 2011, when he was in the process of leading the team to the playoffs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Again, let the players sort out who they want as their captain. If they pick Weber, fine. If they don't, they don't. I suspect he's on the shortlist of guys who would be in the running.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Our captain will be a guy not even guaranteed a spot in the lineup. That's when you know you are a bad team.

He's absolutely guaranteed a spot in the lineup... :shakehead:

Lindy Ruff got fired...didn't you hear?

It's amazing how much people will ignore what's actually going on, because it doesn't support their view point

“Mike Weber is one of those players that made a real big jump this year in terms of what he meant to our hockey team, how he plays the game, just the potential that he has to continue to grow on this team,” Rolston said. “It put a player like Mike in more of a leadership role because of what he did and because of the minutes that he had. He was in the lineup every night blocking shots, sacrificing for his teammates.

“He’s put himself in a situation where he can be one of those guys that are in the room and holding guys accountable.”

Yea, the coaches own words really make it sound like a guy whose starting job is in jeopardy :rolleyes:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Again, let the players sort out who they want as their captain. If they pick Weber, fine. If they don't, they don't. I suspect he's on the shortlist of guys who would be in the running.

If the players had a vote and Vanek was on the team still, I would worry that the younglings would defer to/vote for him due to stature/seniority.

If Vanek is traded... I'm 90% sure the players would vote for Weber

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I can understand people not wanting Weber to be the captain, but campaigning for Vanek to sport the 'C' given what this team has accomplished with him in a leadership role is beyond me.

And the "he takes so much abuse in front of the net" point shouldn't even be considered when determining a captain.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's absolutely guaranteed a spot in the lineup... :shakehead:

Lindy Ruff got fired...didn't you hear?

It's amazing how much people will ignore what's actually going on, because it doesn't support their view point

It's still fair to say he's not guaranteed a spot. Who's to say what happens in camp?

I'm fine with him being the captain I guess but I think it's unlikely unless the players vote for the captain, which they should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad