Mike Weaver in Montreal

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Just wanted to come and give you guys and update on your old boy. Weaver is playing absolutely fantastic. The Habs forum here is in love with him. He plays with AHL-caliber defenseman nightly in the playoffs and still is usually one of our best defenseman.

What can we expect if we were to sign him to an extension? He's been nothing short of incredible since coming (aside from the first 5 or 6 games).

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I told you guys you would like him! A lot of Montreal fans were panning him on the main thread when he was traded.
He is one of the main reasons I'm rooting for the Habs.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
i appreciated Weaver's heart and determination but got sick of him towards the end of his time here.

He's a great shot blocker and great PKer. but he can be a liability because he IS too small to play the position and really makes some terrible decisions in the offensive zone. it drove me absolutely crazy how often he gets caught pinching in the offensive zone. WHY? he's probably one of the least offensively gifted defensmen in the league. why take so many chances trying to hold the zone?

as a #6 d man who can help the PK, he'll be fine. so basically, the role Montreal is using him in is perfect for him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i appreciated Weaver's heart and determination but got sick of him towards the end of his time here.

He's a great shot blocker and great PKer. but he can be a liability because he IS too small to play the position and really makes some terrible decisions in the offensive zone. it drove me absolutely crazy how often he gets caught pinching in the offensive zone. WHY? he's probably one of the least offensively gifted defensmen in the league. why take so many chances trying to hold the zone?

as a #6 d man who can help the PK, he'll be fine. so basically, the role Montreal is using him in is perfect for him.
He's actually put up 10 points in 24 games in MTL. He's playing as our number 5 right now. Just been great.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
A 36 year old 5th-6th dman has low value. I like him, but on a good year he'll put up 15 points and maybe score a goal. 1.5 mill one season.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida

I echo this sentiment. Mike Weaver is great at playing defense, but he also thought, at least with Florida, that he was a premier puck-moving defense man, and he just isn't.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I echo this sentiment. Mike Weaver is great at playing defense, but he also thought, at least with Florida, that he was a premier puck-moving defense man, and he just isn't.
Weaver would have those moments where he's thinking that he's Karlsson, and then in the middle of the play he'd realise "holy ****, I'm Mike ****ing Weaver", and completely **** up the play he was trying to do. :laugh:

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Weaver would have those moments where he's thinking that he's Karlsson, and then in the middle of the play he'd realise "holy ****, I'm Mike ****ing Weaver", and completely **** up the play he was trying to do. :laugh:

This made me laugh so hard :laugh: hahah

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm glad to see him doing well in Montreal. I always respected him tremendously for his hard work while in Florida with shot blocking and on the PK. It was just the end of his time here with a youth movement of defensemen coming up over the next couple of seasons.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Loved the guy effot and all up untill this season. He was brutal for us this season. I think all the losing had it's toll

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Lacks size and physicality in the regular season does not compensate for a good playoff series...sorry.
It's not just this series.

He has been awesome since we acquired him. He was poor for a few games while learning the system, but since then - almost zero complaints.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

That's pretty good. He was more of a "solid dependable team guy" than "boneheaded player" but it was starting to creep into his game mainly with age and still not being any bigger in front of his own net.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's not just this series.

He has been awesome since we acquired him. He was poor for a few games while learning the system, but since then - almost zero complaints.

He is an undersized defenseman who doesn't hit hard, has no offensive game, but is a bulldog and great defensively. I hope he wins a Cup, but you are acting as though this was the steal of the century. He's not that good lol. As I said before, one year 1.5 mill, anything more is overpayment.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
exactly. weaves plays hard, but he's got some serious limitations

he's a passable #6 dman who can help your PK. not much more than that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He is an undersized defenseman who doesn't hit hard, has no offensive game, but is a bulldog and great defensively. I hope he wins a Cup, but you are acting as though this was the steal of the century. He's not that good lol. As I said before, one year 1.5 mill, anything more is overpayment.
He's not the steal of the century. Vanek was a much bigger steal. He only really cost us a decent prospect. If we re-sign Vanek... it really is one of the biggest steals in years.

But Weaver is a guy who never gives up on a play. He's absolutely phenomenal on the PK - we we're already good, but he's made it better. And because of that, he's opened up Subban and Markov to get more offensive minutes.

I actually have no complaints about his offensive game either. He's clearly not an offensive defenseman, but his passing and offensive game have been better than expected. He moves the puck quickly and he pinches at the right times.

He's got more points this playoffs (3 points in 7 games) than all of his previous playoff games combined (2 points in 17 games). He also had more in points (7 points in 17 games) for Montreal than in Florida (6 points in 55 games) this season.

The biggest thing? In the playoffs, he's a +6 in 7 games. That leads the team. He was +9 in 17 games. That makes him a +15 in 24 games.

I was hoping for a 1-year, $1.5M contract. Hope he would accept that with the higher taxes.

You also have to realize... we dressed Douglas Murray and Francis Bouillon for most of the season. :laugh:

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Weaver has played very well in the playoffs so far. He was the perfect depth veteran D picked up by a playoff bound team at the trade deadline. Only knock on him at that time was lack of NHL playoff experience but he did have quite a bit of AHL playoff games under his belt.
Here he had to play too much of a role. With the Habs he can do what he does best. Perfect fit.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Murray is getting ripping for that coverage on the OT goal, but Weaver didn't look so innocent either. Typical Weavs trying to sit on/block the puck instead of taking his man in front of the net, though. :laugh:

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
super respect weaver. heart and soul player. give 110%, team player. loved him. unfortunately didn't fit the current plans of the team. great deal for you guys. hope he wins a cup! re-sign him!!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: