Boxing: Tyson vs Jones

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I’d pay to watch Iron Mike take Fury apart. I’ve always hated that prick.

Tyson/Holyfield III....why??? An apology match?? Errm ok. Just make sure that that geriatric f***ing drunk Mills Lane isn't the ref again. :laugh:

Tyson/Douglas II while sounding awesome, is like 25 years too late.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It seems like this "fight" might turn-out to be a "farce". A money-grab.

They will probably just dance around the ring and throw light jabs at each other.
You might be right but I don't think Tyson has ever done that....and probably knows the entire future of Legends Only League depends on a good show.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Without a potential knockout allowed, what’s the point?? :help:
That is what I am wondering.

The only way to 100% prevent a knockout is if both fighters are throwing light and soft punches. Meaning they aren't actually trying.

This would make the fight seem choreographed, and more similar to professional wrestling (where you are trying to make it look real without actually trying to hurt your opponent).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Why is anyone excited about this fight? Tyson's career post-Buster Douglas was not particularly good.

This is a spectacle or an attraction, not a fight.

I love Tyson from as a kid but the truth is, the video game Mike Tyson's Punch-Out makes him much more memorable than he was. Without it he was an ok champion who never beat a Joe Frazier, Muhamad Ali, Larry Holmes, or George Foreman.

He had two main adversaries in his career and his record was 0-3 and biting off a piece of an ear.

Once again, could he beat any of us in 10 seconds? Absolutely. But he was boxing's answer to Hulk Hogan or Lawrence Taylor.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why is anyone excited about this fight? Tyson's career post-Buster Douglas was not particularly good.

I love Tyson from as a kid but the truth is, the video game Mike Tyson's Punch-Out makes him much more memorable than he was. Without it he was an ok champion who never beat a Joe Frazier, Muhamad Ali, Larry Holmes, or George Foreman.

He had two main adversaries in his career and his record was 0-3 and biting off a piece of an ear.

Once again, could he beat any of us in 10 seconds? Absolutely. But he was boxing's answer to Hulk Hogan or Lawrence Taylor.

He literally beat Larry Holmes but I agree that he is overrated as an all time Heavyweight great.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

He beat Holmes, although Holmes was well past his prime at that point.

Boxing's answer to Lawrence Taylor? Tyson was comparable to him in off-the-field/ring antics. But Taylor is universally considered the greatest defensive player in NFL history. There are some who even consider him the greatest NFL player, period. Due to how much of an impact he made on the defensive side of the ball and he changed the way the game was played.

I agree with you though that Tyson is overrated as an all-time great.

0-3 against Lewis and Holyfield. Losing to Buster Douglas.

Yes he won a bunch of fights via 1st round KO in the 1980s. But most of those fights were against nobodies. Not real high-level boxers.

Tyson is an example of how hype, marketing, and nostalgia can create a sporting myth or legend that isn't supported by the evidence.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have been a boxing fan since the 70s. On his best day I would take Tyson vs. Anyone. Early Tyson was an absolute menace. His personal problems got to him and never let go till after retirement so certainly his legacy is tarnished...but the anticipation for a Tyson fight was pretty unparalleled.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Tyson was an all-time great. Absolutely. In his prime he could've beaten anyone. Larry Holmes was hardly over the hill and he got destroyed. Spinks got destroyed. Tucker, Ruddock, Golota, Thomas, Bonecrusher Smith....all quality opponents, all thoroughly beaten. Holyfield beat Tyson by hugging Tyson and butting heads with him, which hurt Tyson more than Holyfield because of increased torque due to the height advantage. Lewis was unquestionably better than Tyson, but that doesn't take much away from Tyson.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad