Mike Sullivan - A lock for the Jack Adams?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ridiculous number of injuries, most to key players throughout the year. At times playing with a number of callups yet somehow 1 point behind the Capitals for the Met and, if they won their 3 games in hand, they'd be 1 behind Tampa.

Sirely it's his award this year?

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Torts shouldn’t be in contention for being the biggest whiner in the NHL

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Not sure why Torts would get greater consideration than Sullivan would as of now. Pens have more man games lost and are higher in the standings than the Jackets are. Both worth nominations, though. But as far as the people actually voting, they might have their own criteria, preference for team improvement or outstanding regular season team performance. Either way Sully's been outstanding.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Not sure why Torts would get greater consideration than Sullivan would as of now.
A perennial contender loaded with superstars vs a team everybody thought would be a bottom feeder after losing Panarin, Bob, Duchene, Dzingel. People ranked the Jackets at the absolute bottom. Nobody had them anywhere near the playoffs. Check pre-season predictions.

That's why.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Not sure why Torts would get greater consideration than Sullivan would as of now. Pens have more man games lost and are higher in the standings than the Jackets are. Both worth nominations, though. But as far as the people actually voting, they might have their own criteria, preference for team improvement or outstanding regular season team performance. Either way Sully's been outstanding.

Well I'm sure the jackets have more man man games lost if you count Duchene, Bobrovsky, Panarin and Dzingle not playing for them

Reactions: Sentinel

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
I'm thinking Torts is a lock like many said if they do indeed make the playoffs. He's doing a great job with that team, especially seeing they lost their top 4 players to Free Agency.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ridiculous number of injuries, most to key players throughout the year. At times playing with a number of callups yet somehow 1 point behind the Capitals for the Met and, if they won their 3 games in hand, they'd be 1 behind Tampa.

Sirely it's his award this year?
We've had similar "Tortorella is surely a lock" speculation over here. I'm reasonably certain it's going to one of those two.

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019
Torts probably deserves it if CBJ makes the playoffs but if the Pens win the division I could see it going either way.

Tippett is probably in the conversation as well especially if they win the division without McDavid for most of the stretch run.

Bowness is a dark horse for me considering the circumstances of his appointment and the fact that I thought Dallas and their ancient roster were going to be terrible this season. They turned around their awful start before Montgomery was let go but Bowness deserves a lot of credit for keeping the ship pointed in the right direction ever since.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like others have said, only Tortorella and Sullivan make sense if you're actually judging the award based on how it should be awarded. If the Jackets miss the playoffs, it should be Sullivan. If the Jackets make it, it should be Tortorella unless the Penguins win the President's trophy. At that point, it may get really interesting.

Reactions: cslebn

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Sully should be the front runner at this stage, I think what's he done to turnaround last season's team and get consistency out of a team that's always changing and usually 10m+ under the cap in term of the on ice roster any given day is remarkable, but a lock with 20+ games to go? Nope. Things could still go sour for him. Things could still go amazingly for the coaches that are close.

I'd also wonder if, should it be a close race between him and Torts, whether it mightn't go to Sully simply because Torts has 2 and Sully's done some outstanding work without credit, because voters are like that sometimes.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given the injuries the Penguins have had this year, to see their success I think he'd at the very least be a finalist for the award.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Given the injuries the Penguins have had this year, to see their success I think he'd at the very least be a finalist for the award.
This x1000000

Absolutely f***ing insane to see where the Pens are in the standings with the injuries they've had.
What an absurd team.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Tippet. No contest. Taking one of the worst teams in the league last year to currently first in the Pacific, on pace for 98 points and a playoff spot.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
A perennial contender loaded with superstars vs a team everybody thought would be a bottom feeder after losing Panarin, Bob, Duchene, Dzingel. People ranked the Jackets at the absolute bottom. Nobody had them anywhere near the playoffs. Check pre-season predictions.

That's why.

Pens have iced one of the worst rosters in the league for a decent portion of this season. AHL players everywhere, McCann playing 2C, Jack Johnson as a top pairing D, Kessel replaced for the teams worst player etc.

Columbus has lost talent to FA, but they haven't iced liabilities every game from top to bottom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad