Mike Sullivan - A lock for the Jack Adams?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
One of the favorites. Pittsburgh has been the most injured team but is #3 in the NHL in points percentage. If they can ever get healthy I like their chances this year.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
This x1000000

Absolutely ****ing insane to see where the Pens are in the standings with the injuries they've had.
What an absurd team.
According to ManGamesLost, the Blue Jackets have the most man games lost to injury this season, so it's pretty insane where the Jackets are as well, especially considering the talent they lost this off-season. The Pens do lead in CHIP, with CBJ close in second, according to NHL Injury Viz.

All that said, There's more to superior coaching than overcoming injuries. Which is why I don't think Sullivan is by any means a lock to win it. He'll be in the conversation, but that conversation is definitely not over.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
According to ManGamesLost, the Blue Jackets have the most man games lost to injury this season, so it's pretty insane where the Jackets are as well, especially considering the talent they lost this off-season. The Pens do lead in CHIP, with CBJ close in second, according to NHL Injury Viz.

All that said, There's more to superior coaching than overcoming injuries. Which is why I don't think Sullivan is by any means a lock to win it. He'll be in the conversation, but that conversation is definitely not over.
Hey where is McDavid in that CHIP graph? He's pretty expensive.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hey where is McDavid in that CHIP graph? He's pretty expensive.
CHIP is an imperfect attempt to accommodate the difference in value of injured players. But it's imperfect, because it counts David Backes at his $6M AAV, when Patrice Bergeron's AAV is 6.875M, and it goes without saying that they are nowhere near similar in on-ice value. And McDavid missed all of 2 games this season, so not sure why he's relevant, except that he's expensive.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's really what I meant. Pens injuries have been to top tier players. Raw man games lost don't tell as an accurate of a story.
Likewise for the Jackets. Texier is very likely done for the season (the ultimate sophomore slump, ha ha), Anderson was playing injured before he got pulled, Atkinson has spent a lot of time on IR, Korpisalo had gotten an All-Star nod just before he got injured, we just lost Seth Jones 'till the end of the regular season...

Reactions: BHD

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pens have iced one of the worst rosters in the league for a decent portion of this season. AHL players everywhere, McCann playing 2C, Jack Johnson as a top pairing D, Kessel replaced for the teams worst player etc.

Columbus has lost talent to FA, but they haven't iced liabilities every game from top to bottom
That kind of depends on your definition of "liability". Right now our top center is Kevin Stenlund.

"Who's Kelvin Stenlund", you ask? EXACTLY.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
That's really what I meant. Pens injuries have been to top tier players. Raw man games lost don't tell as an accurate of a story.
True. There area lot of formulas out there, none of which are perfect. But just because Pittsburgh's injuries have been to important guys, doesn't mean other teams' injuries have all been to scrubs. Here's another graph that shows this, using Average minutes per injured player as the proxy for player value. Seems the difference between PIT and CBJ isn't that huge. And given the talent disparity between PIT and CBJ, I can see why some make the case for Torts for the Jack Adams.

As i said, injuries are only part of the picture. Cases can be made for Tippett or even Travis Green in VAN, given their turnaround from last year. Maybe the point is it's really too early to call anyone a lock yet.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Torts and Sully far ahead of the pack. I'd give special consideration to Tippett for what the Oilers have done this year under his leadership as well. Making chicken salad outta chicken schist right there.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Does that include... “suspensions by team”?
I don't know about the MGL counter. I don't think so.

The parameters are included in the explainer on the Viz website, and they exclude a number of players from their games lost count:
Which players are included/excluded in your figures?
Players still under contract but either officially “retired” or out indefinitely with no prospect of a return in future are generally excluded from the figures from the start of the season (though remain separately identifiable in team charts).

Minor league players who are often on teams’ IR (non-roster) lists at the start of each season are excluded, but anyone who gets injured while on the active roster during the season is included.

Absences due to illness are included, but healthy scratches, suspensions, and absences due to “personal reasons” are excluded.

Some subjectivity in all of this, obviously, but I try to be consistent.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Pens have iced one of the worst rosters in the league for a decent portion of this season. AHL players everywhere, McCann playing 2C, Jack Johnson as a top pairing D, Kessel replaced for the teams worst player etc.

Columbus has lost talent to FA, but they haven't iced liabilities every game from top to bottom

Please. Our roster with no injuries is still worse. Blash is a serious dark horse here.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I wasn’t aware Boston even had any significant injuries this year.
There have been several long-term, but none to what I would term significant players. Kevan Miller has missed all 60 games, so that skews the MGL count. But this illustrates one of the drawbacks of these measures.

Edit,
I went back and looked at the WAR lost charts, and PIT is significantly the frontrunner, but interestingly BOS is next. SO, apparently, BOS's losses have been more significant than I thought.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->