Friedman: Mike Smith's name is out there

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't know about him not getting along with Sean Burke, but Smith has said on multiple occasions that he honed his puck moving ability while playing with Marty Turco. It's common knowledge if you watch Coyotes broadcasts often.

Yeah he's been an elite puck handler for as long as I can remember.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Mike Smith had one good tear in 2012, when he carried his team to the third round of the playoffs. He's been painfully mediocre since.

Underrated? The guy has one really good season and during every other season he has been mediocre or bad. You'd have to be a very stupid GM to give very much for him even at 50% retained, so welcome to Vancouver Mr. Smith.

I don't think any goalie would have done much better than Smith behind the Coyotes defense and team. I thought he was finished a couple of years ago, but after his surgery this past year, he came back very strong. I guess his injury was bothering him for some time.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I have been telling my friends for a couple months now that my prediction for Flames starting goalie next year is Mike Smith. We can't forget that Brad is familiar with him from his Arizona day's and if I had to put money on a goalie we bring in, it would be Smith.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I have been telling my friends for a couple months now that my prediction for Flames starting goalie next year is Mike Smith. We can't forget that Brad is familiar with him from his Arizona day's and if I had to put money on a goalie we bring in, it would be Smith.

Not out of the question.... Never thought about that...

Dont forget MAF though.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Plus he called out the Coyotes at the end of the season and basically said they were a bunch of losers. Not sure they want him back for that reason alone.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Plus he called out the Coyotes at the end of the season and basically said they were a bunch of losers. Not sure they want him back for that reason alone.

Is he wrong?

The team is dead and headed for relocation but they don't need to play like losers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not out of the question.... Never thought about that...

Dont forget MAF though.

Speaking of MAF, something I wonder is would the Penguins and Yotes agree on a Fleury for Smith swap? I severely doubt Fleury would okay a trade to Arizona, but it would solve the Penguins expansion issue and they can wait to trade Smith until whenever they feel it's necessary (or Arizona could retain salary and make Smith's contract workable in Pittsburgh).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Speaking of MAF, something I wonder is would the Penguins and Yotes agree on a Fleury for Smith swap? I severely doubt Fleury would okay a trade to Arizona, but it would solve the Penguins expansion issue and they can wait to trade Smith until whenever they feel it's necessary (or Arizona could retain salary and make Smith's contract workable in Pittsburgh).

I still don't get why Fleury would want to play for any of Vegas/Vancouver/Arizona. They all are going to suck. And the stupid media will eventually label him a scrub who was just behind a good team :laugh:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Is he wrong?

The team is dead and headed for relocation but they don't need to play like losers.

Not sure what Smith can expect? The business side of the Coyotes does dictate the hockey operations of the club. They aren't big spenders, always the team where other clubs send their high cap hits, but lower salary players to get rid of them. They don't have enough to compete for anything right now, so they are stockpiling assets.

Smith is also one of the oldest goalies in the NHL. Loungo is 38. Miller is 37. Then all of Lundqvist, Rinne, Smith turn 35 in 2017. He still has 2 years left on his contract.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

Fleury wants to be a Starter. He will waive his No trade if he has to and go to vegas or really anywhere that will give him a legit starting job.

More than likely Calgary or Vegas in the end.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Arizona might have to add. Smith is well over 35. Fleury is only 32.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
What is Smith's trade value?

As a Flames fan he wouldn't be my first choice, but looking deeper into the numbers (0.925 sv% 5v5 over 6 years in ARI) I don't think he'd be the worst solution in net for CGY.

Certainly wouldn't drop a ton of assets for him though.

Assuming he'd accept a trade to Calgary (he has a NTC) what are we looking at?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
What is Smith's trade value?

As a Flames fan he wouldn't be my first choice, but looking deeper into the numbers (0.925 sv% 5v5 over 6 years in ARI) I don't think he'd be the worst solution in net for CGY.

Certainly wouldn't drop a ton of assets for him though.

Probably medium picks and prospects.
I don't see Calgary giving away valuable, young forward assets.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
:laugh:

That is actually why I think he would be a good fit in Calgary. His ability to play the puck would fit will with Hamilton, Brodie and Giordano, plus the Flames have issues clearing their zone sometimes and he could be an asset in that regard as well. He's obviously not my top choice for the Flames, but I don't think he's as bad as his numbers have been the last few years.

Up until this year he has owned the Oilers (who didn't?). He can really handle the puck, but he dives a ton and seems to get rattled pretty easily. I'm not sure how well he'd do with a change of a address but overall he's a pretty good goalie.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

The veterans are/were a bunch of losers that deserved to be called out. The coaches too. The kids never quit, guys like McGinn gave it maybe ten games before calling it quits for the season.

Ferland and a mid round pick? :dunno:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Up until this year he has owned the Oilers (who didn't?). He can really handle the puck, but he dives a ton and seems to get rattled pretty easily. I'm not sure how well he'd do with a change of a address but overall he's a pretty good goalie.
Well if any two people outside the Coyotes have a good read on him, it's Brad Treliving and Don Maloney. So if they go the Smith route, I have to trust that they know their former player better than I ever could.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, no to Ferland for Smith.

I was thinking more along the lines of Stajan and Mason McDonald or Nick Schneider. Not sure what the Yotes goalie prospect pool looks like.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Smith only moves if AZ has a successor locked up. Might mean Fleury doesn't want to go to Calgary and/or Vegas and may be possibly willing to waive his NMC for AZ. of course this may spark discussion that Fleury is willing to waive NMC if AZ moves to Quebec.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith only moves if AZ has a successor locked up. Might mean Fleury doesn't want to go to Calgary and/or Vegas and may be possibly willing to waive his NMC for AZ. of course this may spark discussion that Fleury is willing to waive NMC if AZ moves to Quebec.
Unless they want to give Domingue more time. Then they might be interested in one of a plethora of guys available that can start 35-50 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad