Friedman: Mike Smith's name is out there

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If you're trading for Mike Smith, it's because you think he's the final piece to the puzzle in terms of a Stanley Cup, but at 35 and with two years remaining on his deal, that's an awful lot of promise to place on the shoulders of the guy. I get that he's kept Arizona from being Colorado bad, but at the same time, he has the luxury of playing in a defense first system that Tippett utilizes. Don't forget that this is also the same organization that made Ilya Bryzgalov look like a superstar and we all know how that turned out.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
His puck moving would be a welcomed addition to any teams breakout. He's a rare PMG*
He kept Arizona from being Colorado bad last year.
He's a lights out goaltender when he's on, but there will be times when something (usually the opposing team) gets in his head and he'll stink the rink up.

All true.

There are always goaltenders available. Hard to believe he'd fetch much in return.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I get that he's kept Arizona from being Colorado bad, but at the same time, he has the luxury of playing in a defense first system that Tippett utilizes. Don't forget that this is also the same organization that made Ilya Bryzgalov look like a superstar and we all know how that turned out.
Tippett/Playfair scheme has looked like absolute garbage for a few years now. He's riding a reputation now, because the defense isn't seen on the ice. Team did him no favours this year. Dubnyk improved after moving to Minnesota, for example.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If you're trading for Mike Smith, it's because you think he's the final piece to the puzzle in terms of a Stanley Cup, but at 35 and with two years remaining on his deal, that's an awful lot of promise to place on the shoulders of the guy. I get that he's kept Arizona from being Colorado bad, but at the same time, he has the luxury of playing in a defense first system that Tippett utilizes. Don't forget that this is also the same organization that made Ilya Bryzgalov look like a superstar and we all know how that turned out.

Dave Tippett's system hasn't been a thing in years. The Coyotes are garbage, largely due to his inability to adapt to new trends and the personnel he has.

Mike Smith is getting shelled with a lot of high quality chances most nights. His stats are his own, and a miracle given the team that was in front of him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Unless they want to give Domingue more time. Then they might be interested in one of a plethora of guys available that can start 35-50 games.

I think Domingue proved last year he won't be a #1 with AZ. AZ right now has no heir apparent.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Domingue proved last year he won't be a #1 with AZ. AZ right now has no heir apparent.
I don't think that is the case at all. I think he had a bit of a down year, but I also think the Coyotes were worse than they were the year before as a whole. I think they should (and will) give him 35 or so games this year, 40 if he's playing well and bring in a veteran to platoon with him. Miller, Bernier, Mason, Elliott, Condon and even Johnson could all be options to replace Smith if he's dealt. Or hey, maybe they are done with Domingue and could bring in 2 guys and add names like Kuemper, Nilsson and Kinkaid into the mix. Or maybe they make a side deal with Vegas to land Pickard, Korpisalo, Raanta or Grubauer.

tl;dr: If Arizona wants to move on from goalies, this si the summer to do it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

His play down the stretch when the team in front of him wasn't phoning it in was very good. He has starter potential.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be willing to do:

to Flames:
- Mike Smith
to Coyotes
- Lance Bouma (1 year cap dump to mitigate some of Smith's contract)
- rights to Chad Johnson
- Mason McDonald or 3rd in 2018

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if Hextall would have interest?

I can't see any interest in Bouma
Chad Johnson is already familiar with the franchise
Salary needs to go back the other way and everyone else has a NTC. So it would have to be Bouma or salary would need to be eaten. No one will even look at Smith unless there is a way to mitigate his contract some and a 2.2 million cap hit for a single year, is a pretty damn fair ask to take back.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Yotes would probably be able to flip Bouma at the deadline for a 2018 pick as well, from a team looking for some depth heading into the playoffs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yotes would probably be able to flip Bouma at the deadline for a 2018 pick as well, from a team looking for some depth heading into the playoffs.
Yep, energy players that can kill penalties always get something at the deadline.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dave Tippett would fall in love with Bouma. He'd be our first line center. So, I'd pass.

If Smith gets more than a second round pick back, I'd be somewhat surprised. A 2nd and Bouma is probably exactly the kind of deal I'd expect.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
He is not a bad goalie the team in front of him is young and makes a ton of mistakes.

Philly or Calgary would be smart to land him.

Arizona would then pursue someone young like Grubauer to fit in with their youth movement.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Dave Tippett would fall in love with Bouma. He'd be our first line center. So, I'd pass.

If Smith gets more than a second round pick back, I'd be somewhat surprised. A 2nd and Bouma is probably exactly the kind of deal I'd expect.

I would say 3rd + Bouma.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Lots of goalies with some potential and question marks going to be available with the XDraft. Should be pretty easy to pay McPhee for doing them a solid and picking up a Grubauer, Pickard, etc.
Also have UFA options.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Mike Smith had one good tear in 2012, when he carried his team to the third round of the playoffs. He's been painfully mediocre since.

The Arizona defense has been painfully awful since 2012, too. If a goalie looks painfully mediocre playing with painfully awful defensemen, that means he is doing something right to not look painfully awful as well...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He is not a bad goalie the team in front of him is young and makes a ton of mistakes.

Philly or Calgary would be smart to land him.

Arizona would then pursue someone young like Grubauer to fit in with their youth movement.

Maybe if Arizona will take Neuvirth as the main piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad