Injury Report: Mike Smith out 8-10 weeks

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
What about Gudlevskis? Offer a 2nd and Yzerman might bite. Gudlevskis has great potential.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Doesn't the team have to put the money in trust for a buyout as soon as they make the call? That would be a cash call.

They put everything into escrow at once. For a team that isn't operating with a lot of working capital, that can be painful.

Never heard of that before and I like to think I'm up to snuff on CBA details like that. Any link to support it?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just remember reading it when the Coyotes bought Ribiero out. Can't seem to find link so maybe I'm wrong??
Never heard of that before and I like to think I'm up to snuff on CBA details like that. Any link to support it?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just remember reading it when the Coyotes bought Ribiero out. Can't seem to find link so maybe I'm wrong??

I don't have a link but my understanding is the same. The entire amount is placed in escrow at time of buyout. So with Smith it would be just shy of $6M this summer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't have a link but my understanding is the same. The entire amount is placed in escrow at time of buyout. So with Smith it would be just shy of $6M this summer.

That's what I read on HF boards, but I could never understand why a team has to put it all in escrow.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
What about Bernier for the short term?

Trade a 2nd for him (or whatever his value is)

Keep him till the trade deadline next year as an asset to flip.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Have you followed the Leafs at all? Bernier is currently their 3rd or 4th choice by default. His confidence level is zero. And he makes over $4 million.
What about Bernier for the short term?

Trade a 2nd for him (or whatever his value is)

Keep him till the trade deadline next year as an asset to flip.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

That's what I read on HF boards, but I could never understand why a team has to put it all in escrow.

Probably some confusion by various articles regarding buyouts and the escrow process. Buyouts are paid out on the exact same schedule that players are paid during the season. It's all described in the SPC, contained in Exhibit 1 of the CBA. There's no mention of lump sum escrow required anywhere in the CBA.

Buyout payments are however subject to the escrow process. Where a % of each player's paycheck (or buyout payment) is withheld in escrow. Then after the season is over the league tallies up how much revenue was collected and determines the amount of the 50% share the players are guaranteed to. The league distributes funds from the escrow account to the players to maintain that exact 50%. In most years that means the players have forfeited 5-10% of the paychecks, because the league salaries were collectively more then 50% of revenue.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Probably some confusion by various articles regarding buyouts and the escrow process. Buyouts are paid out on the exact same schedule that players are paid during the season. It's all described in the SPC, contained in Exhibit 1 of the CBA. There's no mention of lump sum escrow required anywhere in the CBA.

Buyout payments are however subject to the escrow process. Where a % of each player's paycheck (or buyout payment) is withheld in escrow. Then after the season is over the league tallies up how much revenue was collected and determines the amount of the 50% share the players are guaranteed to. The league distributes funds from the escrow account to the players to maintain that exact 50%. In most years that means the players have forfeited 5-10% of the paychecks, because the league salaries were collectively more then 50% of revenue.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Craig Morgan continues to "subtweet" HFBoards even though, you know, he never reads this place:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-w...xamination-of-organizations-goaltending-plan/

This part is hilarious:

It’s no surprise then that the more cynical or crass members of the Coyotes fan base were eagerly approaching Smith’s recent abdominal surgery as a chance to view other options in goal.

Craig, you watch the damn games. Mike Smith hasn't played at a starting level in quite some time. It wasn't the injury. It was literally any opportunity to see someone else that wasn't playing terrible.

Crass my ass. Chalk up another talking point for the bubble that surrounds the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad