Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith (25%) to Calgary for Hickey, rights to Johnson and 2019 2nd or 3rd

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
TFP said:
People talk about "the purge" - and this is why it was necessary. Can you imagine a guy this poisonous sticking around the team and sulking? Even Doan

Bingo. Your veteran leaders and head coach are all moping and publicly crying in their soup, and people wonder why the whole team looked disengaged? Team has needed a hard reset for the past three years. The longer we waited the more the malaise grew and the harder it is to snap out of it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Sooooo happy for the purge. It is more evident now than ever that a country club atmosphere had developed under Tippetts leadership.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Meh.... too many people are hyping what he said.

He's in Calgary now.... if he wants to play it up to the locals then let him. Too many people on the internet these days play this crap up just to get clicks.

True. If Stepan said that about NY we would all be laughing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The comments really don't bother me, but I think it shows the toxic "leadership" in the room when all the vet leaders like Smith and Doan are publicly not on message and unhappy. I mean Smith obviously felt this way before this week. He made several comments to the same effect, even before the trade. Glad we've changed the makeup of the room movig forward. Need new voices and less moping.
I think next year will still be rough W-L wise, but I think we'll see more actual effort and it sounds like the goal is for the kids to get prime chances to succeed or fail on their own merits and get the experience they need, so I'm pretty excited.

Give me a break. Doan was not toxic leadership. I understand Doan's comments, and Smith was just having fun. Smith and Doan both praise the organization, players etc. You guys take things way to serious.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bingo. Your veteran leaders and head coach are all moping and publicly crying in their soup, and people wonder why the whole team looked disengaged? Team has needed a hard reset for the past three years. The longer we waited the more the malaise grew and the harder it is to snap out of it.

I didn't hear DT say one negative comment about the Coyotes. What Doan said was understandable and true, and Smith said nothing bad. I have no idea where you think they are "moping and publicly crying in their soup".

Sooooo happy for the purge. It is more evident now than ever that a country club atmosphere had developed under Tippetts leadership.

Describe to me your definition of a "country club atmosphere".

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I mean, was he wrong?

Yes, he's wrong. Wrong form the standpoint that Calgary wasn't exactly burning up the lamp last year either, and wrong from the standpoint that it's classless to take shots at your former team.

I'm the guy who typically defended Smith in this forum...apparently I was wrong too.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Give me a break. Doan was not toxic leadership. I understand Doan's comments, and Smith was just having fun. Smith and Doan both praise the organization, players etc. You guys take things way to serious.

Depends on how you apply "toxic".

For the last two years Shane Doan stopped playing like Shane Doan. Much of his leadership came from how he played on the ice and it just wasn't there. In spite of the points he had two years ago. When OEL kept getting run who stuck up for him the next opportunity? Wasn't Doan. 3-4 years ago Doaner would have been planting those offenders to the boards or knocking them on their ass.

So in some respects he became "toxic" because he did not play to what people normally would expect him to.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

For the last two years Shane Doan stopped playing like Shane Doan. Much of his leadership came from how he played on the ice and it just wasn't there. In spite of the points he had two years ago. When OEL kept getting run who stuck up for him the next opportunity? Wasn't Doan. 3-4 years ago Doaner would have been planting those offenders to the boards or knocking them on their ass.

So in some respects he became "toxic" because he did not play to what people normally would expect him to.

I guess we agree to disagree. I don't think Doan was toxic at all. He was not the player he was a few years back, but that doesn't make him toxic.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't hear DT say one negative comment about the Coyotes. What Doan said was understandable and true, and Smith said nothing bad. I have no idea where you think they are "moping and publicly crying in their soup".
I'm glad you never noticed the very public whining of Smith and Doan or the tantrums of Dave Tippett. Way to pay attention..

Describe to me your definition of a "country club atmosphere".
A team far too comfortable and more interested in singing Kumbaya and keeping the "good guys" together than growing and competing. See also: Coyotes

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I guess we agree to disagree. I don't think Doan was toxic at all. He was not the player he was a few years back, but that doesn't make him toxic.

When a leader no longer leads by example (ie: playing to less than expectation) then it creates a negative (or "toxic") atmosphere that can become contagious down the ranks.

Does that explain it better??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When a leader no longer leads by example (ie: playing to less than expectation) then it creates a negative (or "toxic") atmosphere that can become contagious down the ranks.

BS. Does that explain it better?:) Players know what Doan brings to a team, and it sure in hell isn't toxic.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm glad you never noticed the very public whining of Smith and Doan or the tantrums of Dave Tippett. Way to pay attention..

A team far too comfortable and more interested in singing Kumbaya and keeping the "good guys" together than growing and competing. See also: Coyotes

Doan kind of complained the first day, but that is understandable as his emotions were running high. I have not heard any public whining from the names mentioned.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

As for Tip, I don't think he threw enough of them. He just took it on the chin. I wish he would've shown more heart and fire. Idk, maybe he did and I wasn't paying enough attention.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Toxic is a negative attitude, Doan is always positive, players respect him. Doan is gone because Doan is done as a player, nothing more, nothing less. Smith is gone because it saves money we can spend elsewhere. Tip is gone because Tip wanted out, same with Playfair. End of story.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sure. Nothing points to any kind of cleaning up the lazy old boys club.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Actual quotes from General Managers working with Tippett:

"It was my feeling that our team needed a new direction moving forward...
What Marc will bring is a real command at the top. The players will know who's in charge. They will be held accountable on a daily basis. That's what I think is necessary."

"We need more energy, need more hunger into our group. I think we got a little too complacent with people being here a little too long."

"Our chemistry is good, but what does that mean? We're in a results business, not a Kumbaya business."

"We're looking for an optimist who sees a glass half full"

"We're trying to get someone who's a good communicator, someone who's looking to play fast, play up-tempo, use some of our young talent and put them in key positions to succeed."

Takes a pretty blind eye not to garner any sort of theme when seen with any sort of context.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

What Marc will bring is a real command at the top. The players will know who's in charge. They will be held accountable on a daily basis. That's what I think is necessary."

"We need more energy, need more hunger into our group. I think we got a little too complacent with people being here a little too long."

"Our chemistry is good, but what does that mean? We're in a results business, not a Kumbaya business."

"We're trying to get someone who's a good communicator, someone who's looking to play fast, play up-tempo, use some of our young talent and put them in key positions to succeed."

Takes a pretty blind eye not to garner any sort of theme when seen with any sort of context.

Mic drop.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I agree the Doan of the last two years, moreso the Doan of last year wasn't anything close to what he was years ago. Before he played on edge, he was very aggresive and led by example. He was hated by fans of other teams for how he played, but I'm sure everyone of them would have loved him on their team.

The last couple years he seemed happy just being around the kids, and being a father figure to them. His compete level wasn't what it used to be which can have a negative effect on the rest of the room. It's now time for guys like OEL and Domi to takeover the leadership. It's their team, if the team is going to be successful it will be because of them and they know it.

With Smith, I don't care if someone thinks his comment was a joke, you still shouldn't say stuff like that. It's tasteless to make a comment like that about former teammates. I hope we run up the score on him so he gets pulled.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Daym. If that doesn't sum it all up right there :laugh:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
BS. Does that explain it better?:) Players know what Doan brings to a team, and it sure in hell isn't toxic.

No..... it just means you cling to too much nostalgia to understand what really was going on, and "BS" is your safe answer when it confronts you.

Toxic is a negative attitude, Doan is always positive, players respect him. Doan is gone because Doan is done as a player, nothing more, nothing less. Smith is gone because it saves money we can spend elsewhere. Tip is gone because Tip wanted out, same with Playfair. End of story.

Reread my first post above.....

I wasn't referencing "toxic" to Doan's attitude. I referenced it to his play. If you're fine having the leader of your favorite team be dragged around the ice for 20 some odd minutes a game and won't stick up for his teammates when they get run, but he's an all around good guy then fine.

I'm as big a Doan fan as the next guy and I didn't like the way it all went down with him. But the reality of it is if you aren't going to be part of the solution then you're part of the problem..... and that's TOXIC.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No..... it just means you cling to too much nostalgia to understand what really was going on, and "BS" is your safe answer when it confronts you.

Reread my first post above.....

I wasn't referencing "toxic" to Doan's attitude. I referenced it to his play. If you're fine having the leader of your favorite team be dragged around the ice for 20 some odd minutes a game and won't stick up for his teammates when they get run, but he's an all around good guy then fine.

I'm as big a Doan fan as the next guy and I didn't like the way it all went down with him. But the reality of it is if you aren't going to be part of the solution then you're part of the problem..... and that's TOXIC.

If anyone thinks that Doan is/was toxic is ridiculous. Most posters here wanted him back for another year, yet when managment decided differently you clap your hands and say he was toxic. :shakehead

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If anyone thinks that Doan is/was toxic is ridiculous. Most posters here wanted him back for another year, yet when managment decided differently you clap your hands and say he was toxic. :shakehead

I'll answer this with part of my post you quoted.

If you're fine having the leader of your favorite team be dragged around the ice for 20 some odd minutes a game and won't stick up for his teammates when they get run, but he's an all around good guy then fine.

As for your bolded part...... I call "BS."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad