Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith (25%) to Calgary for Hickey, rights to Johnson and 2019 2nd or 3rd

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's fine to say the Smith trade was good in the sense he was a fading asset with a contract that was tough to move.

but the coyotes, already a terrible team, have no real goalie to replace him. Without Smith last season we would have easily been the worst team in the league.

Smith was hurt for much of the year.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I still can't believe Chayka was able to move Smith at only 25% retention.......and still pulled back a 2nd/3rd + for him. I would have accepted a 7th.

Christmas in June!!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
See now aren't you glad Chayka extracted value instead of simply giving Smith away for a 7th rounder?

Yes. I didn't believe it possible. I'm shocked we got a 2nd. More than that, Ochocinco is my 1st choice to split goaltending duties with Domingue. More than that, I think Hickey is a fantastic prospect and if we can woo him like we wooed Goligoski and McGinn and get Keller and Doan and OEL to lean on him, maybe we have half a chance at signing the kid. If we do, I'd rate him as having as much value as that 2nd. These are things that COULD happen. I suspect we will let Johnson walk and I suspect Hickey is eyeing UFA, and we're most likely just getting a 2nd. Just the pick is still a great return. :)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I still can't believe Chayka was able to move Smith at only 25% retention.......and still pulled back a 2nd/3rd + for him. I would have accepted a 7th.

Christmas in June!!

It's been a good month. The entire Ice Edge Clown Posse has been run out of town. No more DJ, no more LeBlanc and NO MORE DRUMMOND!!! Dave Tippett is now likely hanging by a thread.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but it looks like the Flames traded their 2018 2nd as part of the Hamonic trade without conditions. The Smith trade of course already included the Flames 2018 2nd rounder as a conditional if they make the playoffs this year.

Anyone know what's going on here? Seems like the Hamonic 2nd should be conditional on if the Coyotes end up with it since that trade was made first, but I can't find any indications this is the case.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Bob McKenzie reported somewhere that our 2nd from Calgary is actually the 2019 one. When it was reported as '18 initially that was just wrong apparently.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
LVTNppy.png

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
https://********************/nhl-ne...ammates-in-radio-interview-after-trade?ref=jo
After being traded to the Calgary Flames, Smith was a guest on Sportsnet 960 in Calgary on Monday and he was asked about fan excitement following the trade. Specifically Smith was asked about fans being excited to see him feed the puck down the ice to players like Johnny Gaudreau, and his answer was a clear shot at his former team.

"I'm really looking forward to passing to some of these guys that can actually score."

Smith appeared to be very aware of the fact he was taking shots at his former team.

"Did I just say that on live radio?"

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Unfortunately he's not wrong...we didn't have that many goal scorers, because we played all Tippett's guys.

It's not like Moss or any of the other plugs were going to ring the bell.

Mike is still a ****** though :D

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Meh.... too many people are hyping what he said.

He's in Calgary now.... if he wants to play it up to the locals then let him. Too many people on the internet these days play this crap up just to get clicks.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Calgary fans will sour on him real fast if he plays the same way there that he plays here, losing the puck behind his own neck.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He'll have a great time passing to all those forwards on the other team who can score when he has one of his patented brainfades behind the net.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The comments really don't bother me, but I think it shows the toxic "leadership" in the room when all the vet leaders like Smith and Doan are publicly not on message and unhappy. I mean Smith obviously felt this way before this week. He made several comments to the same effect, even before the trade. Glad we've changed the makeup of the room movig forward. Need new voices and less moping.
I think next year will still be rough W-L wise, but I think we'll see more actual effort and it sounds like the goal is for the kids to get prime chances to succeed or fail on their own merits and get the experience they need, so I'm pretty excited.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I mean, was he wrong?

Nope. But someone willing to be that petty when they really have nothing to gain other than stroking their ego really reveals to the world who they are with comments like that. Remember, Tippett wanted to keep this ******* around.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Nope. But someone willing to be that petty when they really have nothing to gain other than stroking their ego really reveals to the world who they are with comments like that. Remember, Tippett wanted to keep this ******* around.

People talk about "the purge" - and this is why it was necessary. Can you imagine a guy this poisonous sticking around the team and sulking? Even Doan, who I love more than any hockey player I can name, has spent the last couple of years crying in his milk about losing guys like Vermette and Yandle, and if we'd resigned him he'd harbor a grudge about Tippett and Smith too.

The room needed a fresh start, and Mike Smith and his crazy eyes and his scraggly beard and his wonky innards and his inconsistent brain was not going to give us one. He's Someone Else's Problem now - let them do what we've all been doing for the past few years and tie themselves up into logical pretzels trying to justify spending nearly six million dollars on an occasionally brilliant but otherwise very mediocre career backup goalie who had one stupendous year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad