Mike Sauer

Who OwnsDaChiefs

Feb 3, 2014
I miss that guy. Always thought he was a solid D-man and was pretty steady out there an could give some snarl when needed.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
It was a clean, solid hit. It shouldn't cement your hate for Phaneuf. If Sauer had his chin strap on properly, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

This comes up everytime and needs to be rectified for the record:

Sauer's chipstrap broke. His helmet was on correctly.

phaneufsauer.jpeg

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Here's an article about him an his brothers. Insane that they all had career ending head injuries. Not to mention their sister is a concussion doctor. Woah.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/05/sauer-family-concussion-battle/25328453/

crazy story. this may indicate that some people are more prone to concussions than others and it may be "hereditary"? some players seem to get concussed from relatively minor hits to the head while others can absorb huge blows with seemingly no ill effects. now it may also have to with the cumulative effects of concussions, but i was stunned last year when stepan apparently got no concussion on the direct hit to the jaw from prust.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm sure bobbop will come in to explain at some point, but I'll just state it anyway: Kurt Sauer suffered nerve damage in his back and neck from whiplash. Mike Sauer was pretty much purely PCS. Kent Sauer, the third brother, retired because his knees were all torn up.

As for Mike himself, the last reports we had were from people that knew the family, and I think some offhand comments from the beat writers. Sounds as if Mike is still suffering PCS symptoms even now. He's a free agent at this point and seems like an extreme long shot to every make it back (if he even wanted to).

Thanks for clarifying for me.

Michael and Kurt's injury were quite different. If you would like to read more about Kurt's injury, please refer to the earlier Michael Sauer and read the links to articles about Kurt's injury. While Kurt could not resume his career, my most recent understanding is that is is able to lead a reasonably normal life.

I spoke with Kurt's wife shortly after Michael's injury and she had told me at that time he was doing well and would be back playing soon. That obviously didn't happen. You may remember that he also practiced with the Rangers a couple of times before shutting it down.

Since then, I have asked a number of people inside and outside of the NHL about Michael and what I have been told is that he is a very private person. Nothing more.

This has been a sad chapter for me. Michael was fast becoming my favorite player. I was at the Toronto game. (Phaneuf was not guilty of a cheap shot) and shortly thereafter I ordered a Winter Classic jersey with 38. I only wore it to one game in Phoenix and that was the game I met Kurt's wife and kids (several of whom were also wearing 38)

I hope and pray he doing well. I also hope we learn more about him soon.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Thought he was gonna be a tough super solid defenseman. So damn sad his career was cut short.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jeff Beukeboom was another one who dealt with the concussion issue for at least a few years after he was blindsided by Matt Johnson and forced to retire. One would think he's relatively back to normal as he returned to hockey in a coaching capacity several years ago--so hopefully with time the Sauer brothers will all at least be back to the stage of a normal life.

There was a story I read today--authored by former Devils enforcer Mike Peluso--where he details some of his own life after hockey--it's not very flattering towards Lou Lamoriello or the Devils organization--he pretty much accuses them of shoddy medical treatment during his career and non response to his medical issues post career. He's had several seizures and has spent tens of thousands of his own earnings on medical treatment since and has to take medication every day to keep the seizures away. According to him his first grand mal attack came at a Devils practice shortly after he'd been knocked silly/concussed? in a fight in Dec. 94--doesn't take too much investigation to figure that fight was probably the one he fought that month with Tony Twist. Officially over the course of his career he was concussed 10 times but he thinks there were many more. His youthful ignorance of potential post career lifestyle has him second guessing whether having playing in the NHL at all was worth it. None of his NHL teams and including the Devils ever sent him to a neurologist--the tendency was more to give him a few aspirin and throw him right back into the next game.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Jeff Beukeboom was another one who dealt with the concussion issue for at least a few years after he was blindsided by Matt Johnson and forced to retire. One would think he's relatively back to normal as he returned to hockey in a coaching capacity several years ago--so hopefully with time the Sauer brothers will all at least be back to the stage of a normal life.

I met Jeff last year at the finals and asked him about his health. He said for the most part he was fine.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Here's an article about him an his brothers. Insane that they all had career ending head injuries. Not to mention their sister is a concussion doctor. Woah.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/05/sauer-family-concussion-battle/25328453/

First, I was thinking about him recently (even before the Zucc stuff) and still wish to hell we could've seen what his career would've been. He was one of the most pleasant surprises I can remember in my lifetime as a Rangers fan. Just sucks, on so many levels.

Having that said, that's totally wild about his family. I never knew any of that. That's just totally ****ed up! So strange.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Anyone know if his day to day life is normal? I just hope he gets to live a normal life and isn't hampered by all the brain injury problems former NFL players have

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I was always keeping tabs on Sauer as a player, it was such a shame his career was ended that way.

Glad to see this thread was brought up again. I checked last year around June 2014 to see how he was doing. Not much out there unfortunately.

Hopefully he is okay.

I still think the hit was borderline dirty though... Never saw or will ever see the point of that hit.

But, this isn't Phaneuf's first incident or last incident either.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I was always keeping tabs on Sauer as a player, it was such a shame his career was ended that way.

Glad to see this thread was brought up again. I checked last year around June 2014 to see how he was doing. Not much out there unfortunately.

Hopefully he is okay.

I still think the hit was borderline dirty though... Never saw or will ever see the point of that hit.

But, this isn't Phaneuf's first incident or last incident either.

I tend to agree.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
When Saur was drafted I remember saying he was more naturally talented than Staal.

Going back to his WHL days, the guy just couldn't catch a break when it came to his health. I often wonder how good he could have been, had injuries not always been a factor in his development.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Sauer was my favorite Ranger when he played. Still remember OV trying to Girardi him and just bouncing off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad