Mike Sauer

92hatchattack

Dec 23, 2005
Jersey
Yeah, He was on his way to being one hell of a defenseman... I just hope his symtoms arent effecting him too much in his everyday life.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
He is done, sad to say but there is no way that he comes back. His brother had the same issue and retired as well.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He is done, sad to say but there is no way that he comes back. His brother had the same issue and retired as well.

Both his brothers.

Incredibly talented family. Kurt played in the NHL as well, obviously, and his brother Craig played in the NFL. All three have retired early due to injuries.

Piles of talent, but made of glass. It's a shame.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It is a total shame because Sauer was on his way to becoming seriously good NHL defenseman. As good as our back line is now, Sauer would have made it just ridiculous.

SwaneeRiver

May 17, 2014
Huge loss for the Rangers, he was playing the position at a very high level when he left the game, and I can only imagine how good he would have been by now.

I've always respected him greatly for giving the glory to God during his interviews, as well. Sad to see him out of the sport, but hopefully his health has improved over time.

richardsequalscup*

Always amusing to see people state the Rangers don't draft well considering they don't tank seasons like a ton of teams out there.

Kreider, Stepan, Dubinsky, Callahan, Sauer, Anisimov, Staal, Lundqvist, Hagelin, Del Zotto, Korpikoski.

Not to mention development of young players they either signed or traded for in Zuccarello, McDonagh, J. Moore, Girardi and Boyle.

There was a point right before he got hurt where I thought Sauer was better than Staal. That is how good he was. After reading how our recent prospect pool was trashed, I just laughed.

Miller has a lot of Kreider in him and should be a very good NHL player. Allen can play in the NHL right now as a lower pairing defenseman. McIlrath is close to that as well. Lindberg should break into the 4th line next season. Skjei should be an upgraded version of J. Moore who is turning into a very good defenseman. Duclair was one of the top 10 prospects in the world last year IMO. Why was he not in HF's top 50? Simple. He was drafted in the third round and he's a Rangers prospect which never get an ounce of credit. Sauer is no different. I bet 95% of the public have no clue how good Sauer was before he got hurt. None. Believe it or not, I would say at least 60% of HF still thinks Kreider isn't that good.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Always amusing to see people state the Rangers don't draft well considering they don't tank seasons like a ton of teams out there.

Kreider, Stepan, Dubinsky, Callahan, Sauer, Anisimov, Staal, Lundqvist, Hagelin, Del Zotto, Korpikoski.

Not to mention development of young players they either signed or traded for in Zuccarello, McDonagh, J. Moore, Girardi and Boyle.

There was a point right before he got hurt where I thought Sauer was better than Staal. That is how good he was. After reading how our recent prospect pool was trashed, I just laughed.

Miller has a lot of Kreider in him and should be a very good NHL player. Allen can play in the NHL right now as a lower pairing defenseman. McIlrath is close to that as well. Lindberg should break into the 4th line next season. Skjei should be an upgraded version of J. Moore who is turning into a very good defenseman. Duclair was one of the top 10 prospects in the world last year IMO. Why was he not in HF's top 50? Simple. He was drafted in the third round and he's a Rangers prospect which never get an ounce of credit. Sauer is no different. I bet 95% of the public have no clue how good Sauer was before he got hurt. None. Believe it or not, I would say at least 60% of HF still thinks Kreider isn't that good.

Going back a few years, don't forget Dom Moore, Tyutin, Zidlicky, and Prucha, who had a great rookie season (reminiscent of Hertl?) before being derailed by that knee on knee. None of those were first round picks.

Even Kundratek and Horak have seen NHL time. Buchenevich and Graves both look like promising prospects.

We have done pretty well with later rounds.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Can't speak for anyone else, but man what a loss. He hit like no one else on that team and pretty much was catching up to Marc. If I recall correctly he had a + shot from the point and what was key.......was he was a RH shot, which is what we've needed all the years since his departure. I miss him.

richardsequalscup*

Can't speak for anyone else, but man what a loss. He hit like no one else on that team and pretty much was catching up to Marc. If I recall correctly he had a + shot from the point and what was key.......was he was a RH shot, which is what we've needed all the years since his departure. I miss him.

I hear ya. I had gotten to the point watching Sauer where I just expected the other team to never score when he was on the ice. He was a +29 in his 1 1/4 seasons here. While +/- can be a dumb stat. In his case, it wasn't. He basically shut down the other team almost every time he was on the ice. I started to see some offense from him also. Huge loss. Our defense with McDonagh, Sauer, Girardi and Staal would have been insane. I actually thought we might have won the cup if he didn't get hurt the year they lost in the conference finals. I really felt with him there, the first two playoff series would have been over in 5 games. 6 at most if Sauer was playing.

nikonsniper*

Losing Cherapanov that wasn't mentioned hurt us big time......can u imagine......what if?

Chere + Sauer on this team (and +Sauer means we flip DZ for a Fwd instead of Klein) makes us heavy favorites.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I'm sure bobbop will come in to explain at some point, but I'll just state it anyway: Kurt Sauer suffered nerve damage in his back and neck from whiplash. Mike Sauer was pretty much purely PCS. Kent Sauer, the third brother, retired because his knees were all torn up.

As for Mike himself, the last reports we had were from people that knew the family, and I think some offhand comments from the beat writers. Sounds as if Mike is still suffering PCS symptoms even now. He's a free agent at this point and seems like an extreme long shot to every make it back (if he even wanted to).

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I felt like they pretty much got Mike Sauer back when the made the trade for Klein.

But i did feel like he was the rookie of the year for them the year they gave it to Stepan. Good in front of the net. Hard on the puck and in the corners. I think Sauer wouldve put up more offense than a guy like Klein though. He was really good at sneaking in the back door. Really a shame.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I felt like they pretty much got Mike Sauer back when the made the trade for Klein.

But i did feel like he was the rookie of the year for them the year they gave it to Stepan. Good in front of the net. Hard on the puck and in the corners. I think Sauer wouldve put up more offense than a guy like Klein though. He was really good at sneaking in the back door. Really a shame.

Sauer really started to develop a knack for pinching at the right time. I was pretty confident that with proper and continued development, he could become a 20-25 point guy on a regular basis.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Agreed. 100%.

I would say the hockey acumen of maybe 10% of the HF posters is very high. They actually know what they're talking about. I would put myself in with the other 90%. We're fans. Some of us with great deal of passion that far out weighs our actual hockey knowledge.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Both his brothers.

Incredibly talented family. Kurt played in the NHL as well, obviously, and his brother Craig played in the NFL. All three have retired early due to injuries.

Piles of talent, but made of glass. It's a shame.

Wow, what a set of genes.

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
How great would it be if he hypothetically attended one of the games at MSG...

The reaction from the crowd would be quite a spectacle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad