Proposal: Mike Richards

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
His playoffs last season would disagree with you.

So do Sutter's. Wouldn't take Richards @ 50% retained, he could regain his form but he could just as easily be out of the league within 2 years, not worth the risk.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The second coming of J.Staal is coming soon.
His salary will be way less than 5.5 or 3.9M.

sundq.jpg

I'm not sure if we should expect Staal-like offensive production out of Sundqvist. He strikes me as a 30-35 point guy like Sutter, all be it with a much friendlier cap hit and more willingness to use his size.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So do Sutter's. Wouldn't take Richards @ 50% retained, he could regain his form but he could just as easily be out of the league within 2 years, not worth the risk.

Yet Sutter's playoff performance was leaps and bounds over anything he's ever done. Richards was more in line with his historical norm. Hmmm ....

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
There's two issues with Richards

1. He really is getting worse. Specifically, his motor is sputtering (see also: Kunitz). It's not just being used in defensive situations or playing for a defensive team--he is getting worse. This isn't to say he's presently useless, to be clear.
2. If he's having Kunitz problems at 27-29, what the Hell problems is he going to be having from 30-35?

For what he makes, we can't play around with him. Not sure how many teams can. I'm sure the Leafs would trade Clarkson for the guy, fwiw.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yet Sutter's playoff performance was leaps and bounds over anything he's ever done. Richards was more in line with his historical norm. Hmmm ....

Richards is trending downwards, there is a reason Dwight King is getting more ice time than him (and more PK time!). Unfortunately Richards is struggling to be anything more than a 4th line centre these days. I know lots of people are annoyed with Sutter but wait until Richards shows up and does the same but probably worse for more money and more term. Richards has be consistently at the bottom of L.As +/- the last few years, he's just not the player he once was.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
There's two issues with Richards

1. He really is getting worse. Specifically, his motor is sputtering (see also: Kunitz). It's not just being used in defensive situations or playing for a defensive team--he is getting worse. This isn't to say he's presently useless, to be clear.
2. If he's having Kunitz problems at 27-29, what the Hell problems is he going to be having from 30-35?

For what he makes, we can't play around with him. Not sure how many teams can. I'm sure the Leafs would trade Clarkson for the guy, fwiw.

I don't even want to think about the PR nightmare of Richards in Toronto.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Richards is trending downwards, there is a reason Dwight King is getting more ice time than him (and more PK time!). Unfortunately Richards is struggling to be anything more than a 4th line centre these days. I know lots of people are annoyed with Sutter but wait until Richards shows up and does the same but probably worse for more money and more term. Richards has be consistently at the bottom of L.As +/- the last few years, he's just not the player he once was.

He is not the same as he once was. But, he is equaling Sutter in less TOI and with less to work with. No one is saying to take him at the full 5.75, but once that gets reduced you're looking at less than or equal to what Sutter is going to be making.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He is not the same as he once was. But, he is equaling Sutter in less TOI and with less to work with. No one is saying to take him at the full 5.75, but once that gets reduced you're looking at less than or equal to what Sutter is going to be making.

L.A has a bottom 5 PK yet Richards can't even get a minute of PK time per game, that's all you need to know. I'd rather have Sutter for 5 more years at 3.3 than 5 more years of Richards at 2.875.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
L.A has a bottom 5 PK yet Richards can't even get a minute of PK time per game, that's all you need to know. I'd rather have Sutter for 5 more years at 3.3 than 5 more years of Richards at 2.875.

Sutter is going to get north of 4 on his next deal if it's for 5 years.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sutter is going to get north of 4 on his next deal if it's for 5 years.

I know, I'd rather let him go than have him at 4 but I'd still take him at 4 over Richards at 2.875 for the next 5 years if we had to have one.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
I know, I'd rather let him go than have him at 4 but I'd still take him at 4 over Richards at 2.875 for the next 5 years if we had to have one.

Can someone explain to me why Sutter is looking at a raise? It seems to me his production matches his current salary. What demand is there for an average 3C that will allow his agent to pursue a contract with a 4MM+ cap hit?

I do not love or hate Sutter, and I think his best hockey is ahead of him but I cannot understand why he would be due a large cap hit with his next contract.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can someone explain to me why Sutter is looking at a raise? It seems to me his production matches his current salary. What demand is there for an average 3C that will allow his agent to pursue a contract with a 4MM+ cap hit?

I do not love or hate Sutter, and I think his best hockey is ahead of him but I cannot understand why he would be due a large cap hit with his next contract.

UFA Market is always strong for centres and top 4 dmen.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Free agency is crazy, his name and people being stupid enough to see him as a potential top 6 centre. Engelland got 2.9 or whatever it is in free agency, ffs.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I really don't think 2.875 is a bad deal for Richards. He was great in the playoffs like 8 months ago. With the way his contract back dives it's not impossible to move him to an Arizona if it really is a disaster.

UFA Market is always strong for centres and top 4 dmen.

Agreed.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I really don't think 2.875 is a bad deal for Richards. He was great in the playoffs like 8 months ago. With the way his contract back dives it's not impossible to move him to an Arizona if it really is a disaster.

Agreed.

5 years is too long and too big of a risk, we already have our relative deadweight in Scuderi.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
5 years is too long and too big of a risk, we already have our relative deadweight in Scuderi.

Agreed. 5 years is a long, long, time in the life of a professional athlete, particularly one with ten years on his odometer already. I can't imagine Richards being an NHL player in 5 years...at any salary. He's hardly one today.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
A guy who has gone from a top 6 center to a 4th liner in a few years is not the kind of guy the Penguins should be taking a chance on.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
If it is feasible contractually I take Richards over Sutter one hundred out of one hundred times. I'd actually rather have Sutter center fourth line if it were possible.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Sutter believes he can play a top 2 center role, but isn't given the chance, much like Staal here. UFA always gets a name brand player with potential overpaid. Especially a Center.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Richards has gotten worse with each preceding year for like five straight years. He has five more years at near 6 million a year.

If anyone wants to pick up this player they literally knows nothing about hockey, especially the cap mgmt end of it.

You don't tie yourself to a player with a massive question mark next to his name for 5 more years at 5.8 million a year!!!

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Richards has gotten worse with each preceding year for like five straight years. He has five more years at near 6 million a year.

If anyone wants to pick up this player literally knows nothing about hockey, especially the cap mgmt end of it.

You don't tie yourself to a player with a massive question mark next to his name for 5 more years at 5.8 million a year!!!

Guess that settles it then, huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad