Proposal: Mike Richards

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
Coming back to the east with the lighter travel and less physicality could do wonder to revamp his career. If pouliot/harrington/dumolouin show they can handle top 6 minutes this year we could include bortuzzo to get a nhl ready winger or a pick. Obviously we have no cap and la would need to retain with or without bortuzzo going the other way but my proposal is:

To Pittsburgh:
Mike Richards (1.875M retained)
Jordan weal or 1st round pick 2015

To LA:
Brandon Sutter
Robert bortuzzo

La gets rid of Richards which they want to do but eat some salary. They get a guy to replace Richards that comes of the books 4 years earlier, plus family ties with the coach. Also get a dman which they need.

Pens get rugged/skilled player who I think is better than sutter and would do better in his role here. Weal put up great numbers in junior and is continuing to do that in the AHL, or we get another pick in a deep draft.

Discuss

penguins2946*

tumblr_mntiolhySW1snpc3lo1_r1_500.gif

All I have to say to this proposal.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
terrible.

Care to elaborate? Richards at 3.9 is a steal if you ask me. Guys only 29 and put up 41 points last year playing primarily 4th line. Sutter is worse and will want more on his next contract. Bortuzzo is expendable and weal is a ppg guy in the ahl. Watched him play junior to and the kid has skill, just small.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Care to elaborate? Richards at 3.9 is a steal if you ask me. Guys only 29 and put up 41 points last year playing primarily 4th line. Sutter is worse and will want more on his next contract. Bortuzzo is expendable and weal is a ppg guy in the ahl. Watched him play junior to and the kid has skill, just small.

He's regressed significantly since his Philly days. He's signed for a billion more years. LA would never retain that kind of salary. There's cap recapture if he retires. If he sucks, then we are in a similar situation as LA is in now. I'd take Sutter over him because Sutter is cheaper, younger, and could be good trade bait next year. I want no part of Richards and his horrific contract

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
Nah fam

I'd do Spaling and Scuderi for Richards and Zykov or Kempe probably

Id love if we could do spaling instead of sutter but the cap wouldn't let that happen, and contrary to what everyone on here thinks scuderi is better than bortuzzo. Why Zglob or kempe over weal/ the pick?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd be ok with this. I think Richards as a 3rd line C would be better than Sutter and would probably fit this team more than Sutter does.

Regardless of him being an ex-Flyer legendary Captain.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
He's regressed significantly since his Philly days. He's signed for a billion more years. LA would never retain that kind of salary. There's cap recapture if he retires. If he sucks, then we are in a similar situation as LA is in now. I'd take Sutter over him because Sutter is cheaper, younger, and could be good trade bait next year. I want no part of Richards and his horrific contract

Regressed playing less minutes in a tougher conference. From what I gathered the cap recapture applys to LA if he retires not whoever acquires him. With sid and geno getting most of the attention Richards could reasonably but up 55-65 points again, he put up 41 on the the 4th line a year ago! You gotta take risks to win and if he can become even half the player he was on philly I say it's worth it.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'd consider something similar to this if LA retains salary. Richards is a better player than Sutter and would be much better in our system than LA's. Sutter will be around Richards salary after next year anyways and he's quickly becoming my least favorite Penguin. Even more than Adams considering he has talent but no ****ing heart.

My proposal:

Sutter
Spaling
Scuderi ($1m retained to fit this year's cap for LA)

$7.875m

for

Richards ($2m retained: $3.75m per)
King (Size on the wing)
Weal (Solid wing prospect buried in the organization)

$6.6m ($5.7m on NHL roster)

LA then has $700k in cap space left. Because they're adding a 3rd player they can deal another roster player elsewhere for additional cap space if they want.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I think I'd rather have Sutter (with his possibility of improving) over Richards (with his decline starting and lifetime contract).

Though if LA eats at least $2mil of the contract, I'd be interested.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'd be ok with this. I think Richards as a 3rd line C would be better than Sutter and would probably fit this team more than Sutter does.

Regardless of him being an ex-Flyer legendary Captain.

The biggest thing I'd be ecstatic about with Richards is he's a ****ing killer on the PK. Gives his body and is a threat on the ice. The guy is a leader, love him or hate him.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Richards is NOT a better payer than Sutter at this point!!!!! Even at 3.75 mil Richards contract is terrible.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think LA would given that they get a defenseman that is big and physical and can play 14+ mins a game and bloodlines with Sutter joining some family and I feel like Sutter fits that team perfectly.

LA would be eating salary for 5yrs yeah, but they get 2 players that are in their mid 20's. And at best, the Pens could eat some of Sutter's salary to make it more enticing for the + thrown in for Richards as Sutter would only have his salary "eaten" for 2yrs, I'd say around 500k to off set the Kings only eating salary.

All the offensive numbers put up on the Kings is hard to judge a player with, that team plays such a "Safe" brand of hockey with offense, everyone's numbers drop significantly when they join the Kings.

Here's what their top players are on pace for.

Kopitar - 68pts
Gaborik - 62pts (based on his ppg pace in 34 games)
Williams - 44pts
Carter - 58pts
Doughty - 48pts

It's really hard to judge that team based on their production, mostly because putting up career numbers in LA under Sutter is never going to happen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd consider something similar to this if LA retains salary. Richards is a better player than Sutter and would be much better in our system than LA's. Sutter will be around Richards salary after next year anyways and he's quickly becoming my least favorite Penguin. Even more than Adams considering he has talent but no ****ing heart.

My proposal:

Sutter
Spaling
Scuderi ($1m retained to fit this year's cap for LA)

$7.875m

for

Richards ($2m retained: $3.75m per)
King (Size on the wing)
Weal (Solid wing prospect buried in the organization)

$6.6m ($5.7m on NHL roster)

LA then has $700k in cap space left. Because they're adding a 3rd player they can deal another roster player elsewhere for additional cap space if they want.

I don't like King, I don't think he can keep up to battle the Rangers, Isles and Bolts that kill this team with speed. Having a big oaf that is prone to stupidity is the last thing we need, unless the Pens play the Flyers all the time.

Weal I am all for, same for Richards, after that, I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick and the Pens eating 1.5m of Scuderi's contract to make it more palatable for the Kings.

pengwins1587

Feb 24, 2014
Richards is NOT a better payer than Sutter at this point!!!!! Even at 3.75 mil Richards contract is terrible.
Richards has 1 less point on the year while playing 4th line. Sutter has been giving top 6 minutes at times and hasnt shown much improvement since we got him. The playoffs last year were a nice flash, but i believe that's all it was.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean look at it this way... La just waived him in hopes someone might pick him up... you do not do that if you think he has anything left for you. maybe he rebounds elsewhere, but it is not unheard of to have a guy fall off a cliff and be done by 29... happens to NFL running backs all the time... too many hits to the head or too much wear on the legs... both end you quick

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't like King, I don't think he can keep up to battle the Rangers, Isles and Bolts that kill this team with speed. Having a big oaf that is prone to stupidity is the last thing we need, unless the Pens play the Flyers all the time.

Weal I am all for, same for Richards, after that, I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick and the Pens eating 1.5m of Scuderi's contract to make it more palatable for the Kings.

Regardless, we need some size. Move King out and put Clifford in if you don't like him. LA has a lot of options on the wing.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Richards is signed until 2020 at 5.75, plays on the 4th line and is not going to get any better with age. He is like the Scuderi of forwards but with an even worse contract.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I mean look at it this way... La just waived him in hopes someone might pick him up... you do not do that if you think he has anything left for you. maybe he rebounds elsewhere, but it is not unheard of to have a guy fall off a cliff and be done by 29... happens to NFL running backs all the time... too many hits to the head or too much wear on the legs... both end you quick

I think they're doing it for cap space IMO. They have almost $3m in cap space. They probably want to make a big deal to change up the team a bit since they've played like dung all season. Plus, they need a defenseman pretty bad.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Richards has 1 less point on the year while playing 4th line. Sutter has been giving top 6 minutes at times and hasnt shown much improvement since we got him. The playoffs last year were a nice flash, but i believe that's all it was.

No ****. Sutter had one of the best players in the world on his wing for at least 1/4th the season and he couldn't do **** but look like a limp dick out there.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think they're doing it for cap space IMO. They have almost $3m in cap space. They probably want to make a big deal to change up the team a bit since they've played like dung all season. Plus, they need a defenseman pretty bad.

at 2 mil per id bite... at 3 id think about it... where he is at I wouldn't take the risk unless I had cap space to burn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad