Kings Article: Mike Richards Interview "Not Content to be a 4th Line Center"

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think this is RR's last season, at least with the Kings. He's going to be 35 this upcoming season and I just can't imagine him being retained unless McNabb is an absolute bust. I really think this season Voynov has to take the training wheels off and play the Doughty mentor role to McNabb. That means concentrating on the backend more than on offense. I believe he can do it. He's shown signs in the past of being able to battle for pucks down low and in the corners and come out with it. One of McNabb's strengths supposedly is his first pass out of the zone. That is not one of RR's. That ability alone may help Slava be more effective.

So do you think Mcnabb takes over from RR this year?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Mentioned this in the training camp thread, but it's worth noting here that as some of us talked about, Richards is taking shifts in camp with King and Williams, while Stoll is centering Clifford and Lewis. So there you go.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don't know which is worse, Stoll and his almost 3+ million on the 4th line or Richards' and his 5 million.

One of these guys has to go.

You can then slide Lewis to center between Nolan and Clifford or bring Andreoff into the line-up.

Clifford-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't know which is worse, Stoll and his almost 3+ million on the 4th line or Richards' and his 5 million.

You can then slide Lewis to center between Nolan and Clifford or bring Andreoff into the line-up.

Clifford-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

:facepalm:
:banghead:

You are a broken record, try coming up with another original thought. Why does one of Richards or Stoll have to go? In your head they're on a third or fourth line, but to the coaches and management, they are options that present problems in line matching to opposing coaches.

JT8888

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
:facepalm:
:banghead:

You are a broken record, try coming up with another original thought. Why does one of Richards or Stoll have to go? In your head they're on a third or fourth line, but to the coaches and management, they are options that present problems in line matching to opposing coaches.

let him be ha. I used to be on the stoll hate but 2 cups made me realize F it, kings know what the are doing and i am just along for the ride. So people just need to here themselves talk.

Captain Mittens*

Clifford-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Johnny, I consider you a buddy. But it seems sometimes like you would rather win a street fight than cups

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California

Clifford-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Glad you're not the GM. ;)

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Clifford-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

I have to say.. if Richards is playing with King/Williams I'd rather see him traded. You don't need a $6M center for King/Williams Stoll is just fine. In fact what I would absolutely love is to see Brown/Stoll/Williams.... that line leads to another championship!

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Marian Gaborik-Anze Kopitar-Dustin Brown
Tanner Pearson-Jeff Carter-Tyler Toffoli
Dwight King-Mike Richards-Justin Williams
Kyle Clifford-Jarret Stoll-Adam Cracknell
*Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan

Thats my prediction.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010

Thats my prediction.

Except Lewis would never sit behind cracknell on rw. waiver fodder vs a solid fast defensive player.

I would bet that cracknell goes on waivers due to AA and Mcnabb. Leaves Schultz and cracknell to be Manchester players.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Except Lewis would never sit behind cracknell on rw. waiver fodder vs a solid fast defensive player.

I would bet that cracknell goes on waivers due to AA and Mcnabb. Leaves Schultz and cracknell to be Manchester players.

I feel that it's going to be a battle between Nolan, Cracknell and Lewis. With one of them being traded.. my guess is Nolan.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Thats my prediction.

For the first three shifts of the first game :D

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Exactly. Those guys are insurance policies. Both signed to dirt cheap contracts. Their presence also sends notice to McNabb and Andreoff, among others, that they need to compete in camp. That there is no golden ticket and they have to earn it. Even if the reality is they may have roster spots sewn up, no prospect is just given a spot on this roster.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Thumbs up to Dean for going up to Canada to check on Richards. lol

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Clifford-Lewis-Nolan
Clifford-Andreoff-Lewis

Why does someone have to go? Are the Kings suddenly not cap compliant?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Why does someone have to go? Are the Kings suddenly not cap compliant?

Exactly. It will all work itself out during the course of the season. Stoll will be UFA along with Williams. Dean will do what he has to do to keep this team competitive in the offseason, whether it's moving someone or letting players walk. Why fret about it now?

scryan

May 1, 2013
So do you think Mcnabb takes over from RR this year?

I think Regehr has no flash but is WAY more solid then given credit.
I don't know anything of Mcnabb, but I don't think were just waiting for someone who can take RR's place. (not to say he wouldn't be replaceable, should someone shine when given the shot)

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
It's been said before but do not expect Toffoli and Pearson to stick with Carter all season. Those kids are going to struggle at some point. Richards will get plenty of ice time on the 2nd line.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It's been said before but do not expect Toffoli and Pearson to stick with Carter all season. Those kids are going to struggle at some point. Richards will get plenty of ice time on the 2nd line.

This. I've been beating the same drum, brotha. Pearson and Toff are still young. They'll bounce around the lineup.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I'm excited to see what Richards can do this season. Given it was a split squad pre-season game, but 2 goals in your first game is not a bad start!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad