Mike Ribeiro relapses into alcoholism; NHL future in doubt

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It's like you're trying to be incredibly ignorant

that's fine that you see it that way, i see it as a problem that's clearly out of his control and affecting his job. if he cared about his job, he would've put the choice out of his control no matter embarrassing or emasculating it is. if that means having someone check his room for bottles before he goes to bed, so be it.

just like starting to drink was his choice, failing to use his resources to control his (now) addiction was his choice.

FlyLife

Nuthin but a G Thang
May 23, 2008
Livin the High Life
that's fine that you see it that way, i see it as a problem that's clearly out of his control and affecting his job. if he cared about his job, he would've put the choice out of his control no matter embarrassing or emasculating it is. if that means having someone check his room for bottles before he goes to bed, so be it.

just like starting to drink was his choice, failing to use his resources to control his (now) addiction was his choice.

You don't get it, but it's ok, most people don't. The lengths an alcoholic will go to is incomprehensible to the normal person. Knowing the consequences doesn't change a thing in the mind of an active alcoholic, and usually just becomes fuel for the fire.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I figured something was going on behind the scenes we weren't privy to. Guy was still producing even though it wasn't as good as the previous year and we didn't really have a suitable replacement. Hope he gets the helps he needs and gets past his addiction but odds are his NHL career is over

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Many of his on ice problems are a direct result of this.
I wish him the best. Hopefully, if he wants, he can play overseas. Sometimes a change of scenery is the best treatment.

Only way to combat alcohol problem is to get sober. Change of scenery = looking for geographical cure. Alcoholism has a very strong tendency to follow you wherever you go.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
People who have never experienced it don't understand this is a disease. You are sick, and you do and say things you do not mean. However, everytime you feel shame, instead of owning up to it, you feel the need to turn back to the one thing that brings you comfort.

Doesn't help that society and a lot of treatment programs are demeaning and make you feel like you are scum. You already know that you are, and your shame fuels your addiction.

I bet when he is clean he is a great man. My best wishes go out to him and most importantly his loved ones as they are the silent victims in all of this. Hoping he is able to have his moment that many of us have had and it "clicks" and he gets clean.

Especially playing sports, temptation is everywhere. Hell, even going out for supper with a few team mates someone will order a beer. If you ask them not to, you feel like a burden. It's easy to become antisocial due to this and turn back to your comfort.

Hope he can overcome his demons.
This is 100% true. I've been through the same stage as him, at the ripe old age of 17; when you're using/drinking you don't act the same. Maybe that's why I never liked him as a player but when he's off of the stuff he's probably a good man, some of these comments are extremely disrespectful. Hope he gets the help he needs and best of luck to him. Addiction to drugs/drinking seems easy until you go through it yourself

Gardien2945

Feb 1, 2008
The trick is to help them direct their reaction to failure in a positive direction (resolve), rather than a negative one (shame).

Great line, and I agree wholeheartedly!

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
People who have never experienced it don't understand this is a disease. You are sick, and you do and say things you do not mean. However, everytime you feel shame, instead of owning up to it, you feel the need to turn back to the one thing that brings you comfort.

Doesn't help that society and a lot of treatment programs are demeaning and make you feel like you are scum. You already know that you are, and your shame fuels your addiction.

I bet when he is clean he is a great man. My best wishes go out to him and most importantly his loved ones as they are the silent victims in all of this. Hoping he is able to have his moment that many of us have had and it "clicks" and he gets clean.

Especially playing sports, temptation is everywhere. Hell, even going out for supper with a few team mates someone will order a beer. If you ask them not to, you feel like a burden. It's easy to become antisocial due to this and turn back to your comfort.

Only part I disagree with is the disease part, but I believe it's an addiction, and all addictions are similar in this way, everything you said is true, at least to my experience. I hope Mike can get his life together.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's a shame that during Bell Let's Talk day, everybody pretends to understand mental illness and are all about helping others. Then when stories like this come out, the person gets ripped just because they have money and "should have taken care of it by now."

Maybe the money is irrelevant and he is battling something in his head that is more powerful? Whoa, there's a wild thought. Maybe it's not that easy, since he's not the first one with money to go through it...

Just frustrating reading comments about things like this. I am not even a Ribeiro fan at all but people make mistakes and go through **** in life, you don't all need to act like you're perfect.

KnoccOut

Dec 23, 2008
Toronto

It's not that easy... if it was that easy we'd have a lot less of these problems.

You see the issue could be something else deep inside but the result is drinking.... I dont think anyone " wants " to be like that.. stuff happens usually in your childhood that ultimately leads to this or other things.

Your saying if he cared about his job? First and foremost he needs to love himself jobs not first priority.

Like another poster said its a disease... I dont think you understand any of it. You should educate yourself on this. Acting like its just a choice life isn't that simple

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As someone who's battled it myself, I won't say it's a disease, but it certainly is an addiction. It's much easier to drink than it is not to. You get to a point where not waking up hungover is a strange feeling. I don't like the guy on the ice but I feel for him off of it. Especially for his family, who no doubt had to witness what booze can do to a person who abuses it.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I like the guy so much after he beats the tar out of his addiction I would love to buy him a few drinks to celebrate his achievement.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Hope Mike has the support and strength to fight to get his life together. I battled painkiller addiction for several years and there isn't a day where I don't feel like falling back into it. It doesn't get easier, but you do get stronger in your conviction not to fail.

All the best, Mike. You got this.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Normally i would have some empathy but not for a scum of a human being.

Good luck, hope you saved your money, don't drink it all at once.
Didn't Chris Hansen tell Ribeiro to "take a seat" a few years back?

Its amazing how many people will just ignore stuff like this and cheer a player on because he wore their colors for a while.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for posting this, man. The jury is out on whether or not to classify it as a disease, but my dad was an alcoholic, and I'm not sure what else to call it if not disease. Alcoholism is horrible, and I wish the best for him and his family. Relapses happen to a lot of people, and I hope he knows he's not a failure because of it. The substance abuse explains quite a lot about certain things that happened during his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad