Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
clearly either CJ or someone isn't happy with something in his play. We know it was said earlier on in the season he wasn't listening to the coaches but who knows what's the issue now, if it's the same thing or they just don't trust him.
He wasn’t listening but he was playing is best hockey ever... than he got benched and he never was the same since...

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
So... I did some checking (probably there is an easier way to find this info than how I did it) I believe the Habs record with/without Reilly in the lineup is:

31-20-6 (with Reilly)
6-8-1 (without Reilly)

I would like to see Reilly back in the lineup next game.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
So... I did some checking (probably there is an easier way to find this info than how I did it) I believe the Habs record with/without Reilly in the lineup is:

31-20-6 (with Reilly)
6-8-1 (without Reilly)

Reilly is better but the coach prefers overplaying Kulak and Benn. Benn is RD while Reilly is LD. The Habs don't really have anything on the left apart from Mete but anyways.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

31-20-6 (with Reilly)
6-8-1 (without Reilly)

I've been advocating for Reilly based on the eye test - he makes some glaring mistakes, but also brings a lot of positives from his skating and mobility.

The only thing I would like to see with regard to those numbers are things like: mainly, how good was the opposition? secondarily, how many of those games without Reilly did Niemi start?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I've been advocating for Reilly based on the eye test - he makes some glaring mistakes, but also brings a lot of positives from his skating and mobility.

The only thing I would like to see with regard to those numbers are things like: mainly, how good was the opposition? secondarily, how many of those games without Reilly did Niemi start?

Doubt those would be out of the ordinary but I'll leave it to you to dig further than the record. The Habs are 8-6-2 with Niemi so they have actually done better with Niemi in the lineup than they have without Reilly.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Doubt those would be out of the ordinary but I'll leave it to you to dig further than the record. The Habs are 8-6-2 with Niemi so they have actually done better with Niemi in the lineup than they have without Reilly.

same holds for Niemi's numbers: what was the quality of opposition?
The fact that the team's record with Niemi is good would actually point to the fallacy of using our team's record with a player in uniform as an indication of their value to the team.

I want Rielly in the top 4. But the danger of using data is that it could be explained by some hidden causal factor. I'm not saying it is here. But someone has the time (neither of us apparently) the numbers should be verified by looking into quality of opposition, imo.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
same holds for Niemi's numbers: what was the quality of opposition?
The fact that the team's record with Niemi is good would actually point to the fallacy of using our team's record with a player in uniform as an indication of their value to the team.

I want Rielly in the top 4. But the danger of using data is that it could be explained by some hidden causal factor. I'm not saying it is here. But someone has the time (neither of us apparently) the numbers should be verified by looking into quality of opposition, imo.
Well there's no perfect way to assess data. Even QoC is a flawed measuring stick right? How do you assess the Blackhawks? By their record, or by their recent play? I'm prepared to just look at the record. But yeah, it isn't definitive, but I think it speaks to something.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't think Reilly has ever been truly atrocious this season. I found the pairing with Juulsen was effective and same for when he was paired up with Petry following his stint in the press box. He's a flawed player but I still think he brings more good than bad ultimately. At least he's not sitting for the Ouellet's, Schlemko's and Alzner's this time around. Folin hasn't been bad from what I've seen but I don't like that they keep sticking Benn on the left side when he is much worse.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well there's no perfect way to assess data. Even QoC is a flawed measuring stick right? How do you assess the Blackhawks? By their record, or by their recent play? I'm prepared to just look at the record. But yeah, it isn't definitive, but I think it speaks to something.

what does Niemi's 8-6-1 record speak to?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
what does Niemi's 8-6-1 record speak to?
Oh I meant Reilly's. Niemi's record means the Habs were above .500 in the games he started, or anyway the ones he got decisions in.

I don't really want to argue about this. I understand that the record isn't necessarily a definitive statement, but it also isn't meaningless. I'm ok with that. If you want to crunch numbers more I would be interested in the results. If you aren't going to look into it further, well then there's no point in debating.

I mean the basic thing to do would probably be to see if the difference is significant, right? Like the whole bell curve statistics thing. But again I'm not going to do that, but that would be the place to start, I'm guessing.

So Carey Price is 29-22-5 and Antti Niemi is 8-6-2 - is that difference statistically significant? Just off hand guess it doesn't look to be.

The Habs are 31-20-6 with Reilly & 6-8-1 without him. Is that difference statistically significant? It looks to be, but I'm just ballparking.

Take care buddy!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Oh I meant Reilly's. Niemi's record means the Habs were above .500 in the games he started, or anyway the ones he got decisions in.

I don't really want to argue about this. I understand that the record isn't necessarily a definitive statement, but it also isn't meaningless. I'm ok with that. If you want to crunch numbers more I would be interested in the results. If you aren't going to look into it further, well then there's no point in debating.

I mean the basic thing to do would probably be to see if the difference is significant, right? Like the whole bell curve statistics thing. But again I'm not going to do that, but that would be the place to start, I'm guessing.

So Carey Price is 29-22-5 and Antti Niemi is 8-6-2 - is that difference statistically significant? Just off hand guess it doesn't look to be.

The Habs are 31-20-6 with Reilly & 6-8-1 without him. Is that difference statistically significant? It looks to be, but I'm just ballparking.

Take care buddy!

It's ok, I didn't want to get into a debate. Personally, I'd just have to look into the quality of opposition during the games without Reilly. there are other factors - such as that the team in general hasn't been playing well in this recent stretch, and that isn't on any one player.

At the end of the day, for me it's the eye test: despite the fact that Reilly makes glaring mistakes with the puck and is often out of position in his coverage, his mobility does a lot of good things. The Petry-Reilly pair is the best 2nd pair I've seen this year. Too bad Claude abandoned it.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It's ok, I didn't want to get into a debate. Personally, I'd just have to look into the quality of opposition during the games without Reilly. there are other factors - such as that the team in general hasn't been playing well in this recent stretch, and that isn't on any one player.

At the end of the day, for me it's the eye test: despite the fact that Reilly makes glaring mistakes with the puck and is often out of position in his coverage, his mobility does a lot of good things. The Petry-Reilly pair is the best 2nd pair I've seen this year. Too bad Claude abandoned it.
I agree. I started with the eye test, and I just remembered that they struggled a bit when he was out earlier - that's why I looked into it. Hope he is back in the lineup next game!

But yeah, Reilly's no superstar - he just seems to me to be the best option on that 2nd pairing.

Reactions: 26Mats

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I was having lunch with a buddy and then someone kind of sent me something that there was a potential of me moving. Then at 2 o'clock rolled aroun I heard I was traded. But I didn't specifically know the team. Eventually got a call and found out. There was like 20 minutes where I was traded but didn't know what team. It was just a weird feeling that you know you're leaving... But you don't know where you're going. Definitely I was pretty pumped up when I heard about coming to Montreal. Obviously it's a pretty special place... Since the news kind of broke I called both of my brothers at the same time. Just to be fair I guess. I wasn't trying to favour one of them.”

“I've been here a little bit and I've heard it's a great place to live. A lot of things to do... A lot of restaurants. I kind consider myself a foodie a bit. Love to kind of venture off and try new restaurants. Things like that. That's something I was kind of indulge in while I'm here. The hockey culture. I'm coming from Minnesota hockey is pretty crazy there. Growing up in youth hockey, high school hockey and college. Coming here it's even a step up and something I was looking forward to... I felt like the opportunity was good to be here for me... I was looking forward to getting the ball rolling. I was trying to go out there and play. There's a few tweaks in the way they do things here defensively a little bit in the neutral zone. But that's something that just kind of comes over time. It starts with good habits and trying to do it day in and day out. Eventually, it becomes second nature.”

“I think my father went to a training camp here and he obviously got drafted. He told me some stories back in the day some of the guys that were here. Some pretty big name that I'm pretty sure he mentioned. Pretty cool to kind of hear that out of his mouth. Basically, he kind of hyped up just how big Montreal is. And how big the hockey culture is here...”

“I got some texts from some former teammates back home when I scored my first goal with the Montreal Canadiens. Zach Parise texted me and Alex Stalock. Guys like that and my closest buddies messaged me too. It's always good when they're being supportive and changing their schedule just to watch me because we're close friends. They just wanted to check in on me and make sure things are going well. Everyone was kind of chiming in on that... My younger sister Caitlin was sleeping. So I got a text from her this morning at like 6:00 AM. I wasn't awake yet... But, they all watch the games. My dad has a little den back home. He's really Irish... So there are a lot of Irish things in there and a lot of old sticks we used. There are also pictures of us three boys in high school and college together. Some other pucks as well. When I'm back home, I'll always stroll around there... Every once in a while, you're just looking around the room and seeing a lot of cool things. So it definitely got there this puck...”

“It's great when my parents came. They love it here. They love the atmosphere and they love the city. The reviews they're bringing back to Minnesota are pretty positive and they're definitely kind of spreading the word that people should come up and visit.”

“Kind of offensive defenseman. Definitely more of a two-way defenseman than one-way. Kind of structure the Minnesota Wild play. You've got to play defense and try to close on guys. Pick gaps. I kind of get labeled as that. It doesn't really bother me... It's just you know constant improvement every single day in terms of my own end. I defend in a different way than maybe Ryan Suter defends. I like to use my speed and make passes up to the forwards . Just from what I've seen from the first practice, it seems like there were a lot of skilled guys here. Like to try to use my skating to the best of my ability. Be that fourth guy into the rush... Be able to make plays. Get the puck up to those skilled forwards. We had a lot of skilled forwards this year. A guy like me, I love playing with guys like that. Guys that can hit the fourth guy coming in late and make plays and be creative. I'm not the most physical guy but I tried to get away with my skating. Things like tight gaps and a good stick. I've an underrated shot too.”

“There were some times in Minnesota when it was really tough. But it helped me grow up and face some adversity that I didn't know would possibly come. They've been so supportive of me and they've always known that I had it in me to play a big role somewhere else... It just so happens that I went with Montreal and I was just trying to rolling with it and making the most of it.”

“People started to catch on. It was evident in camp right off the hop the speed that we started with at the beginning of camp. It was nothing really new inside the dressing room... A lot more teams takes notice of a lot of the high-end speed we had up front and the guys that could make plays and being creative. The guys we added this summer made a lot of jobs easier in the dressing room. I loved playing like that... Adding Max Domi last summer and Tomas Tatar, I was always itching to get on the ice with those guys. Like hen we were playing 5 on 5 and 4 on 4. Because I knew they're going to try to find me and I'll try to find them and they can make plays. The way the League is going, we needed guys like that to be our top guys.”

“I was well aware when I got traded that it was going to be a good situation for me. I think it went well at the beginning. The only thing I wanted to do was to try to carry that momentum over from last season to this end of season. Keep it rolling and on a lot of things. It was definitely shock after tho... Turning the page... I definitely could be better... I felt like I could help this PP and get it where it needs to be. I wanted to make a good first impression... I wasn't gonna sit there and blaming the team effort. I've done some good things... I didn't know when the next time I was gonna to get back in. But every next time I had, I tried to raise my game and just be at another level... I thought I could be a big help for this team... I wanted to get back to the way I was playing at the start of the 2018/ 2019 season. How I can respond to it was the biggest thing. That was the most important... I wanted to help this team out... I wanted to be a part of it because it's a fun group of guys, we were winning back then... I thought they playing my style here that suits me well. I loved playing with our forwards and just the pace we played at. Coming in and out of the lineup, that wasn't easy. I don't care, I know you're playing at the highest level in the world... But we're human and we want to be the guys in the lineup every single night... Like playing in more situations and having the puck on my stick more. When you rely on people like that, it's definitely special how supportive they were for me...”

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I agree. I started with the eye test, and I just remembered that they struggled a bit when he was out earlier - that's why I looked into it. Hope he is back in the lineup next game!

But yeah, Reilly's no superstar - he just seems to me to be the best option on that 2nd pairing.

How he comes to camp and performs in the preseason will be big. He showed glimpses of what he can bring to the team (puck moving D). If he can prove that he's improved defensively then I see him making the team. If not I can see the Habs trying to sneak him through waivers or dealing him for another project player.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
How he comes to camp and performs in the preseason will be big. He showed glimpses of what he can bring to the team (puck moving D). If he can prove that he's improved defensively then I see him making the team. If not I can see the Habs trying to sneak him through waivers or dealing him for another project player.

I don't expect him to be at camp. This guy is gone along with Hudon, Weise and maybe Alzner and Peca.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Another victim of a stubborn and dinosaur of a coach, hating a player and its all over. There's no coming back from a bad game, unless you are in CJ's good books, for whatever reason,.. its pathetic. Therrien, CJ.. the cycle continues.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Another victim of a stubborn and dinosaur of a coach, hating a player and its all over. There's no coming back from a bad game, unless you are in CJ's good books, for whatever reason,.. its pathetic. Therrien, CJ.. the cycle continues.

Benn has had so many bad games and keeps coming back.

I like Reilly in spite of his occasional bone head plays. So I'm definitely not on the same page as Julien on this one. I think he's very close to Kulak in overall ability. Kulak is more steady. Reilly has higher peaks and lower valleys. I just don't understand that CJ has given up on him.

Having said that, I do think it's possible Claude is right on this one, unlike other moves. (for example I was dead against trying a Weise-Thompson-Dlo line that he was so excited to try). So, maybe he's right that Reilly does more harm than good. I don't see it. And, I think with a little more continuous time in the lineup he could gain confidence and cut down on the bad plays. But I do acknowledge that I may be wrong on this one.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't expect him to be at camp. This guy is gone along with Hudon, Weise and maybe Alzner and Peca.

I'd rather not buy out Weise or Alzner - and extend the misery. And no one is taking them. Just bury them until their contracts are up. I also don't think there's a taker for Peca and thus he starts in Laval. Hudon's cap hit is 0 while in Laval, so if he's not taken off of waivers, no problem having him play there too.

Jul 6, 2016

I like Reilly in spite of his occasional bone head plays. So I'm definitely not on the same page as Julien on this one. I think he's very close to Kulak in overall ability. Kulak is more steady. Reilly has higher peaks and lower valleys. I just don't understand that CJ has given up on him.

Having said that, I do think it's possible Claude is right on this one, unlike other moves. (for example I was dead against trying a Weise-Thompson-Dlo line that he was so excited to try). So, maybe he's right that Reilly does more harm than good. I don't see it. And, I think with a little more continuous time in the lineup he could gain confidence and cut down on the bad plays. But I do acknowledge that I may be wrong on this one.

Benn was perfect on the bottom pairing for the whole second half of the season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Benn was perfect on the bottom pairing for the whole second half of the season.

Yes, perfect is the exact word I would use to describe Benn's entire second half.

Having said that yes, he was good in the second half. He may get a pretty good contract if he makes it to the open market. Lots of teams looking for a reliable bottom pair dman with experience.

Given that we don't know if we'll nab a UFA, I would re-sign our top 8, to have depth in case of injury, and go with 13 forwards.

Mete Weber
Kulak Petry
Benn Juulsen
Reilly Folin

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Don't quite understand the fuss about Reilly, he just isn't that good, that's all, he's a bottom pairing D at best, as much as I dislike the play time of Benn, he was miles better, and Kulak was way better too.

A gamble that cost us only a 5th rounder.

Next.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Don't quite understand the fuss about Reilly, he just isn't that good, that's all, he's a bottom pairing D at best, as much as I dislike the play time of Benn, he was miles better, and Kulak was way better too.

A gamble that cost us only a 5th rounder.

Next.

Reilly was phenomenal in the first month of the season. We saw he can be great at his best, that's what the fuss is about. He obviously then regressed back to what made Minnesota give up on him and never really got his early season flair back. Unfortunately, his flaws seem to be something that are hard to fix at this point of his career.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Benn in the top 4 is the worst defenseman ever. Benn in the bottom pairing is damn solid, let him play there and you get good results much likelier than with Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad