Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Some players need that...based on Reilly's history as a player, it doesn't seem to be an approach that helps his game.

Confidence right now is clearly his issue. Hope he can get it back - he has the goods. He just needs to get his confidence back, have the confidence that he knows what he's doing and go out and go get it.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why do you think taking chances offensively is what the coaching staff has a beef with? If I had to guess it would be Reilly's defensive zone play that they don't like.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
My take is that Reilly got too cocky....
Maybe complacent would be the better word...got comfortable, played like his spot was assured.

I get that.

But that applies to other Dmen on this team as well.

I'm just kind of perplexed why the guy with the most potential to improve, is the one who has to suffer the consequences.

Reactions: King In Glory

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Maybe complacent would be the better word...got comfortable, played like his spot was assured.

I get that.

I'm just kind of perplexed why the guy with the most potential to improve, is the one who has to suffer the consequences.
Again, they're working with him, at least I hope they are...

As I already said he's probably getting scratched because he's not listening... He's not applying what's being said.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I get that.

He should probably talk with Drouin and get some tips on how to stay in the lineup and improve his attitude.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Pendant ce temps, Mike Reilly se retrouve sur la tribune de la presse. On a été peu patient à son endroit. On chuchote que le jeune homme n'est pas très réceptif aux enseignements de ses entraîneurs et on veut le mettre au pas.

Traduction:

Meanwhile, Mike Reilly finds himself on the press gallery. They were not patient with him. It is whispered that the young man is not very receptive to the teachings of his coaches and they want him to understand.

CH: le retour du balancier | Mathias Brunet | Mathias Brunet

Seems like Reilly has some problem with listening to coaches.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Despite the shakiness in his own end, I still have him in over Schlemko and Mete. I've seen disastrous play after distrastrous play from Schlemko yet he never seems to lose his spot in the lineup. I'd say Kulak too but I understand that they want to give him a longer look.

For me it's:

Reilly - Weber

I think these two would compliment each other well, and Weber could cover for his inconsistencies.

Schlemko - Petry

I know I just bashed Schlemko but I'd give him one more chance after the Carolina game, only one really bad shift.

Kulak - Benn

Give Kulak an easier matchup with a RD Benn who should be a steady veteran partner (he's better on RD with <20mins).

(Mete, Ouellet)

I don't like benching Mete at his age but it's one game to evaluate what you have.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Pendant ce temps, Mike Reilly se retrouve sur la tribune de la presse. On a été peu patient à son endroit. On chuchote que le jeune homme n'est pas très réceptif aux enseignements de ses entraîneurs et on veut le mettre au pas.

Traduction:

Meanwhile, Mike Reilly finds himself on the press gallery. They were not patient with him. It is whispered that the young man is not very receptive to the teachings of his coaches and they want him to understand.

CH: le retour du balancier | Mathias Brunet | Mathias Brunet

Seems like Reilly has some problem with listening to coaches.

That is really sad to hear. He has terrific tools but if you're not gonna play by your coach's rules then I guess I can't blame Claude. I hope he learns but even if he doesn't he still needs to be back in the lineup soon.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Despite the shakiness in his own end, I still have him in over Schlemko and Mete. I've seen disastrous play after distrastrous play from Schlemko yet he never seems to lose his spot in the lineup. I'd say Kulak too but I understand that they want to give him a longer look.

For me it's:

Reilly - Weber

I think these two would compliment each other well, and Weber could cover for his inconsistencies.

I totally agree. They were tried at practice the other day and I'm told Reilly said something like "You're the best at covering for my inconsistencies. I admire that!"

And Weber answered "And you're the most gracious of all our inconsistent defencemen. I admire that too!"

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I want that nerd Andrew Znardowski to admit he was hasty in heaping praise on Bergevin for acquiring this kid.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1 game is understandable, but he's been scratched 3 of the last 5. Its ridiculous how some players are "held accountable" while others have free reign to fail spectacularly.

The problem is we are not privy to what exactly is going on between Reilly and the coaching staff. It's pretty clear that there is more than meets the eye.

The coaching staff or Julien, didn't suddenly decide to target him. Also, if this were the Therrien era, I'd be far more skeptical. However, Bergevin crony JJD isn't there anymore and the influx of Bouchard and Richardson on the staff, appears to have had an impact both on and off the ice.

Is it perfect? Probably not as no system is, but I believe the staff needs to be given the benefit of the doubt on Reilly, until we're given clear and incontrovertible evidence not to.

Until we know what exactly Reilly did, then there is no point comparing his time in the stands arbitrarily with hot takes about what other players have been taken out of the lineup and for how long. It's never an exact science.

Let the punishment fit the crime -- and as an outside observer, the easiest thing to do, is to create links that don't exist and solely based it on an arbitrary reference to perceived precedents. There is something Reilly has done and none of that has been communicated to anyone on this forum yet.

I don't care if he's scratched for the next ten games or more. Any staff that features Dominic Ducharme and Richardson is more than likely implementing certain standards and holding Reilly to them -- and until we are shown that the coaching staff has had it in arbitrrily for Reilly, then it's very simple -- bring down the barricades and let the process play itself out.

They're not ignoramuses, the staff is all too aware that the Habs have a crying need for a PMD on the left side. If Reilly needs to learn a lesson or make amends for certain behavior or the repeated failure to have done something, then it must mean that they feel very strongly that Reilly is not meeting these standards, by way of example.

I'm all for calling out staff when there is a verifiably objective injustice. However, this year is like no other in the Bergevin tenure. Friends of his acting in a management or coaching capacity, have been canned and replaced by others who didn't have as close a past relationship with MB. I think it's far too early to bring them all to the barricades just because they have chosen to scratch Reilly. What is really "ridiculous" is manufacturing yet another hot take for forum consumption, without a smidgen of evidence on what exactly Reilly has done to merit being taken out of the lineup.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Reilly is benched cause he can play better

Benn is actually overachieving given the opportunities he’s been given to screw up

Schlemko is playing to his ability, there’s not a lot to gain by sending a message, nobody home

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Anyone or any combo of the three. And if punished, then for what, on or off the ice incident or behavior?

On l'sait pas.
My guess all along is he didn't take his first sit down very well and let CJ/Staff know about it. He probably pointed the finger at Benn for one and asked why me...
This would fly directly in the face of MB's "attitude" solution. As @417 pointed out this treatment hasn't worked in the past with him. Kid gloves for some kick in the ass for others a good coach knows how to distinguish which approach to take.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Just a stare is all it takes..
7693BFEF-0FB9-4B54-BA40-3F526D44EABD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad