Former Bruins Mike Reilly: Bought Out

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Wishing Mike well with his next club. Solid player.

The way the FO handled this was embarrassing, and unfortunately it seems to be a recent trend. It started with icing Krug, shipping out Hall for scraps and firing Cassidy after telling him his job was secure. Yes it's a business but imo the Bruins are developing a bad look
Yes I agree and you show some excellent examples of this. Not good at all!

Reactions: Gordoff and KWbruin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Wishing Mike well with his next club. Solid player.

The way the FO handled this was embarrassing, and unfortunately it seems to be a recent trend. It started with icing Krug, shipping out Hall for scraps and firing Cassidy after telling him his job was secure. Yes it's a business but imo the Bruins are developing a bad look

He sucks. If he was better he would have played. Even two seasons ago he was battling clifton at the end of the season for the last spot and the two of them were sucking so bad they ended up playing hot potato with healthy scratches until Lindholm got hurt.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Sturm und Drang

Aug 9, 2008
He sucks. If he was better he would have played. Even two seasons ago he was battling clifton at the end of the season for the last spot and the two of them were sucking so bad they ended up playing hot potato with healthy scratches until Lindholm got hurt.
I don’t think that is a fair assessment. Yes, he wasn’t effective in limited action on his offside with Forbort. He was effective with Carlo or McAvoy. So like a lot of non-star players, his utility depends on his deployment. That does not mean he sucks at hockey.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I don’t think that is a fair assessment. Yes, he wasn’t effective in limited action on his offside with Forbort. He was effective with Carlo or McAvoy. So like a lot of non-star players, his utility depends on his deployment. That does not mean he sucks at hockey.

I did business with a guy who's son got an AHL contract out of college but could not break into the NHL beyond a pre-season game or two, the kid killed it in D1......incredible stats & played on a team with a few known NHL'ers still playing today....they weren't even as good as he was in college......the game can be strange.....this guy did go play overseas for a while so that was good for him but I guess the point to the story is he was an extremely talented player that just could not find a spot on an NHL roster.....plenty of guys out there like that.......the level of talent is insane when you get that far.....then you factor in the nepotism / old boys club and it gets even worse.......

Last edited:

Charlie McAdaddy

Registered Champion
Mar 11, 2004
Winchesterfieldville
I did business with a guy who's son got drafted and played a few seasons in the AHL but could not break into the NHL beyond a game or two early or late in the season, the kid killed it in D1......incredible stats & played on a team with a few known NHL'ers still playing today....they weren't even as good as he was in college......the game can be strange.....this guy did go play overseas for a while so that was good for him but I guess the point to the story is he was an extremely talented player that just could not find a spot on an NHL roster.....plenty of guys out there like that.......the level of talent is insane when you get that far.....then you factor in the nepotism / old boys club and it gets even worse.......
Who?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Everyone plays well with McAvoy, that’s like throwing Danton heinen on a line with bergy and Marchand and pointing to heinens numbers and claiming he’s better than what he is.

With Carlo he had 20 GF 18 GA so decent, but not exactly what you are looking for. He was fools gold like krug with high offensive zone starts at 58%, which helped him out. He played very sheltered minutes in his career here.

He looked very solid after the acquisition after the deadline in those 15-20 games and then was an abomination the rest of the way.

Sturm und Drang

Aug 9, 2008
Everyone plays well with McAvoy, that’s like throwing Danton heinen on a line with bergy and Marchand and pointing to heinens numbers and claiming he’s better than what he is.

With Carlo he had 20 GF 18 GA so decent, but not exactly what you are looking for. He was fools gold like krug with high offensive zone starts at 58%, which helped him out. He played very sheltered minutes in his career here.

He looked very solid after the acquisition after the deadline in those 15-20 games and then was an abomination the rest of the way.
I still don’t get where you come up with “sucks” or “abomination”. The only statistics you cite here are in your own words “decent”. Do you just not like his style of play and enjoy hyperbole?

His possession metrics were positive in his one full season here (56.5 CF% on 56.8 offensive zone starts at even strength, so the team was getting the better of play at a rate commensurate with his favorable deployment).

They had one too many NHL-caliber left D after acquiring Lindholm. To me Reilly looked better than Forbort at even strength, but I think the team wanted Forbort for the PK so Reilly ended up as the odd man out. And they didn’t have cap space to keep them both on the roster last year. That’s why he was sent down to the AHL. Not for being a sucky abomination.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I still don’t get where you come up with “sucks” or “abomination”. The only statistics you cite here are in your own words “decent”. Do you just not like his style of play and enjoy hyperbole?

His possession metrics were positive in his one full season here (56.5 CF% on 56.8 offensive zone starts at even strength, so the team was getting the better of play at a rate commensurate with his favorable deployment).

They had one too many NHL-caliber left D after acquiring Lindholm. To me Reilly looked better than Forbort at even strength, but I think the team wanted Forbort for the PK so Reilly ended up as the odd man out. And they didn’t have cap space to keep them both on the roster last year. That’s why he was sent down to the AHL. Not for being a sucky abomination.

Forbort also had 30% offensive zone starts so you are comparing apples to oranges here.

You aren’t a 29 year old in their prime playing in the AHL after being put on waivers for anyone to claim because you are good. No team thought he would be an asset or better than something else they could easily find on the market.

Hell, foligno just got a one year $4m deal and he’s garbage now. Teams who need to get to the cap floor and over pay like Chicago didn’t even want him.

Sturm und Drang

Aug 9, 2008
Forbort also had 30% offensive zone starts so you are comparing apples to oranges here.

You aren’t a 29 year old in their prime playing in the AHL after being put on waivers for anyone to claim because you are good. No team thought he would be an asset or better than something else they could easily find on the market.

Hell, foligno just got a one year $4m deal and he’s garbage now. Teams who need to get to the cap floor and over pay like Chicago didn’t even want him.
To me that says he was overpaid relative to a tight cap (i.e. slower than usual growth due to the pandemic), not that he’s bad. A lot of decent players are getting bought out now for the same reason. We’ll have to see if he signs somewhere now for cheaper or if really nobody wants him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad